Opening day weapon?

Swamp_bucks

11 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I see there is rain in the forecast for Saturday.  If it is a straight down rain with no wind, I will deploy the tree umbrella and stick with my scoped Marlin M512. 

If we get high winds and sideways rain, I will go with my Remington 870, 12 ga, with short smooth bore, open-site barrel, and Remington sluggers.

Right now our Saturday forecast is dry but Sunday may have rain down in Chautauqua

As I typed that it flip flopped. Who knows

Edited by The_Real_TCIII

28 minutes ago, Splitear said:

That's a beautiful stock!

I like the laminates myself, as long as they look like wood and aren't some goony color...

My M70  Win came from the factory with a brown laminate stock similar to Steve's, and I have always thought  it was quite attractive..

2 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I like the laminates myself, as long as they look like wood and aren't some goony color...

My M70  Win came from the factory with a brown laminate stock similar to Steve's, and I have always thought  it was quite attractive..

I have a 10/22 with a kind of greyish laminate Mannlicher stock, it looks really nice.

37 minutes ago, Splitear said:

That's a beautiful stock!

It's a replacement Boyd laminate.  They give you lots of options to customize it with different checkering patterns, stock shape, etc..  Can't beat the feel and look of wood compared to fiberglass or other plastics the majority of guns wear these days.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, steve863 said:

It's a replacement Boyd laminate.  They give you lots of options to customize it with different checkering patterns, stock shape, etc..  Can't beat the feel and look of wood compared to fiberglass or other plastics the majority of guns wear these days.

And it shoots damn well too. 

• Haha 1

I typically use a Sako .300 mag. Shot an awful lot of deer with that gun and there’s no factory triggers I’ve ever seen close and I’m a trigger guy. That may be my choice again. Got a safe full of rifles so it’s gonna seem crazy, my other possible first choice is a .243 Rem 700. Not as much to my liking as the Sako but lighter and shorter and shoots pretty tight groups. . Got a few places I need to hike substantially, if I go there it’ll be coming. As I write my coffee table is full of reloads for both. 

• Like 1

First post ever! I have enjoyed this forum since discovering it two weeks ago. Grew up hunting in PA and joined the military and did not get to hunt that much. Now that I am back in the northeast for good it has been nice to get back into the woods! 

First day weapon is a Stevens 7mm-08. I won the thing three years ago at a local fire department gun raffle. The thing has been great and taken down 8 deer! Myself 2 does and 6 point, my 9 year old daughter a doe and a button buck and my brother 2 bucks and my sister in law a doe. 

I hunt northern zone so I already took a doe down last week with it and hope to get my buck tomorrow morning, it is suppose to be super cold so I am hopeful. 

Based on how close and the type of terrain I have been getting these deer at I am looking to switch to a 30-30 or 45-70 sometime in the next few years.. other than my daughter's deer which were shot in PA during the mentored hunt days all of them have been taken inside 100yds. Need more of a brush gun as opposed to my sniper rifle. 

Good luck to everyone going out for the first time this Saturday!

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, ridgerunner88 said:

First post ever! I have enjoyed this forum since discovering it two weeks ago. Grew up hunting in PA and joined the military and did not get to hunt that much. Now that I am back in the northeast for good it has been nice to get back into the woods! 

First day weapon is a Stevens 7mm-08. I won the thing three years ago at a local fire department gun raffle. The thing has been great and taken down 8 deer! Myself 2 does and 6 point, my 9 year old daughter a doe and a button buck and my brother 2 bucks and my sister in law a doe. 

I hunt northern zone so I already took a doe down last week with it and hope to get my buck tomorrow morning, it is suppose to be super cold so I am hopeful. 

Based on how close and the type of terrain I have been getting these deer at I am looking to switch to a 30-30 or 45-70 sometime in the next few years.. other than my daughter's deer which were shot in PA during the mentored hunt days all of them have been taken inside 100yds. Need more of a brush gun as opposed to my sniper rifle. 

Welcome! And good luck to you too!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ridgerunner88 said:

Welcome, and I hope to see more of your adventures!

• Like 1