Second guessing yourself

Northcountryman

Ok , so , I’ve done so much scouting now   That , I honestly don’t know where to go for opening day and it’s driving me nuts !! I have a ladder stand setup in a spot that might be productive but I’m feelin like I’d like to be more mobile and try a few Other spots With my climber . Problem is , I’ve never never used the climber In A hunting situation ( yet ) , although I’ve practiced ; so , I’m feelin like I should stick with the ladder spot opening morning and , if I’m not seein anything , also bring the climber with and take a walk later if need be . Does this sound prudent ? Opinions more than welcome, thanks  

25 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

I’m feelin like I should stick with the ladder spot opening morning and , if I’m not seein anything , also bring the climber with and take a walk later if need be

Just my 02 cents but until you get use to using the climber you should save it for a time when you have time to think about what you are doing. Climbers are a good/fun way to hunt but you need to pay attention to detail, get a system down pat that you will use every time,  to keep you safe. Climbers are safe if used properly but one mishap can cause serious injuries. Once you get the hang of it; it will become second nature if you pay attention to detail. Good Luck!!

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 3

Have you scouted the area around the ladder to see if there is fresh sign? If it's hot, stick with that spot. If it's not, I'd be more tempted to use the climber. Opening weekend can be a bit of a poop show though. Depending on the area around you, deer may be pushed and pop up anywhere. I have a climber and like it more when a) I know the area and have a few trees in mind that I can get to quickly in the dark for a morning sit; b) I enter the area mid day so that I can locate hot sign and get setup nearby with plenty of time before the evening movement starts.

As far as the climber goes, the biggest issue you're going to have with setting up in the dark (as long as you have practiced with it enough) is that you don't know what your sightlines are going to be. I have on a couple of occasions set up in the dark on a new tree, only to discover that after climbing up, my views to where I think deer will be was obstructed. Ideally, I like to go out in advance, find some trees, and take down any obstructions to my view, and to my climb. 

So, I think you have a good idea in using the ladder stand, but taking the climber out with you. If you have a chance to get out before now and Saturday, I would take your climber out, stake out a couple of trees and have them in your toolbox. I use the "Hunt Stand" app, and mark where the tree is on my app (I also tie some kind of tape, string so I can find it in the dark). I also notate where my cables need to be placed when climbing, approximately how high I need to climb, which way I need to face, and what the best wind would be. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Ok , so , I’ve done so much scouting now   That , I honestly don’t know where to go for opening day and it’s driving me nuts !! I have a ladder stand setup in a spot that might be productive but I’m feelin like I’d like to be more mobile and try a few Other spots With my climber . Problem is , I’ve never never used the climber In A hunting situation ( yet ) , although I’ve practiced ; so , I’m feelin like I should stick with the ladder spot opening morning and , if I’m not seein anything , also bring the climber with and take a walk later if need be . Does this sound prudent ? Opinions more than welcome, thanks  

OK....Just settle down a bit. All you are feeling is the pre-opening day jitters! That condition has been around longer than I've been hunting! Heck, I still get em!!

What stand?

Where are the deer?

Will I see any here?

Where are other hunters?

I've scouted here, and seen a ton of deer sign but no deer??

I haven't scouted there, but there always seems to be deer?

I saw a big one from this spot while bowhunting?

Joe says to go here or there? 

I killed one there five years ago!

Just to name a few..... The pre-opening day jitters always have us guessing and thinking, where is THE BEST spot to go on opening day of deer season? No easy answer to that one. Seems like no matter where I decide to go, the deer go somewhere else! I have only killed a couple deer on opening day in 47 opening days! So it usually takes me a few days to sort through everything, as I'm not the best, or smartest hunter to stumble through the woods. But once I do, it usually works out just fine. I guess if I didn't get the opening day jitters, it would be time to hang up the ol' hunting hat. So enjoy them!

I would take the climber only when you are well practiced, and familiar with it.

Just pick a spot and go!!!

• Like 6

Here is my best recommendation DON’T OVER ANALYZE. Use the ladder stand if want to be more mobile just use a chair and hunt off the ground. You can do both you don’t need to carry the extra weight of a climber. I’ve kill more deer off the ground than out of a stand with a gun.

Just pick a spot and go!!!
^^ grampy nailed it ^^
your putting to much pressure on yourself, go to your ladder stand and enjoy the morning sunrise, and hopefully you’ll connect. If you don’t it’s the first day of a fairly long season. 

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Just my 02 cents but until you get use to using the climber you should save it for a time when you have time to think about what you are doing. Climbers are a good/fun way to hunt but you need to pay attention to detail, get a system down pat that you will use every time,  to keep you safe. Climbers are safe if used properly but one mishap can cause serious injuries. Once you get the hang of it; it will become second nature if you pay attention to detail. Good Luck!!

Yes , you’re right , thank you Sir !! 

1 hour ago, Splitear said:

As far as the climber goes, the biggest issue you're going to have with setting up in the dark (as long as you have practiced with it enough) is that you don't know what your sightlines are going to be. I have on a couple of occasions set up in the dark on a new tree, only to discover that after climbing up, my views to where I think deer will be was obstructed. Ideally, I like to go out in advance, find some trees, and take down any obstructions to my view, and to my climb. 

So, I think you have a good idea in using the ladder stand, but taking the climber out with you. If you have a chance to get out before now and Saturday, I would take your climber out, stake out a couple of trees and have them in your toolbox. I use the "Hunt Stand" app, and mark where the tree is on my app (I also tie some kind of tape, string so I can find it in the dark). I also notate where my cables need to be placed when climbing, approximately how high I need to climb, which way I need to face, and what the best wind would be. 

Very cool , but , how do you notate where the cables need to be placed specifically? 

13 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Very cool , but , how do you notate where the cables need to be placed specifically? 

In the HuntStand app, there’s a place to put notes when I mark a stand. With my Summit, I pay attention to how many of the little bit things need to be out/in. I always climb the tree to make sure I have it set right. Sometimes they taper more/less than I think they are going to, making my top and bottom slanted instead of flat. 

029AA9C8-DA92-41DC-B9C7-5F4BBE6CA896.jpeg

D2F14A66-9EE4-4CF6-9276-C992F5EF079E.png

Edited by Splitear

2 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

I’m feelin like I should stick with the ladder spot opening morning and , if I’m not seein anything , also bring the climber with and take a walk later if need be . Does this sound prudent ? Opinions more than welcome, thanks  

Taking a walk is great for the people around you.....cause you're just going to push deer to guys like me that sit tight all day the first day.   Heck, as long as Mother Nature doesn't call for the big one, I don't get down from my climber at all Opening Day.  If she does, I shimmy down and shimmy right back up.

As others have said, don't over think it.  I doubt I'll know where I'm going until the night before........then  I just toss a dart or check (in desperation) a ouija board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I seldom know where I’ll sit or why ..... sometimes I have Mrs Nomad pick a number that way I can blame her . Since I now sit with my daughter in a hut , my OD is moot anyways .

If it’s somewhat warm and she sits in her ladder stand, I sit in one nearby to bat clean up . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grampy said:

OK....Just settle down a bit. All you are feeling is the pre-opening day jitters! That condition has been around longer than I've been hunting! Heck, I still get em!!

What stand?

Where are the deer?

Will I see any here?

Where are other hunters?

I've scouted here, and seen a ton of deer sign but no deer??

I haven't scouted there, but there always seems to be deer?

I saw a big one from this spot while bowhunting?

Joe says to go here or there? 

I killed one there five years ago!

Just to name a few..... The pre-opening day jitters always have us guessing and thinking, where is THE BEST spot to go on opening day of deer season? No easy answer to that one. Seems like no matter where I decide to go, the deer go somewhere else! I have only killed a couple deer on opening day in 47 opening days! So it usually takes me a few days to sort through everything, as I'm not the best, or smartest hunter to stumble through the woods. But once I do, it usually works out just fine. I guess if I didn't get the opening day jitters, it would be time to hang up the ol' hunting hat. So enjoy them!

I would take the climber only when you are well practiced, and familiar with it.

Just pick a spot and go!!!

You could not have said it any better as, that’s just how I feel inside!! And , Evidently , I am not alone !! Thanks for the insight :biggrin:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Splitear said:

In the HuntStand app, there’s a place to put notes when I mark a stand. With my Summit, I pay attention to how many of the little bit things need to be out/in. I always climb the tree to make sure I have it set right. Sometimes they taper more/less than I think they are going to, making my top and bottom slanted instead of flat. 

029AA9C8-DA92-41DC-B9C7-5F4BBE6CA896.jpeg

D2F14A66-9EE4-4CF6-9276-C992F5EF079E.png

Oh , I see what you’re saying ; ok , got it , thanks 

Taking a walk is great for the people around you.....cause you're just going to push deer to guys like me that sit tight all day the first day.   Heck, as long as Mother Nature doesn't call for the big one, I don't get down from my climber at all Opening Day.  If she does, I shimmy down and shimmy right back up.
As others have said, don't over think it.  I doubt I'll know where I'm going until the night before........then  I just toss a dart or check (in desperation) a ouija board.

I’m apologizing up front for this, but in my younger days, on at least two occasions, I didn’t even climb down for Mother Nature! Sorry for that visual...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Don_C said:

I’m apologizing up front for this, but in my younger days, on at least two occasions, I didn’t even climb down for Mother Nature! Sorry for that visual...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah !! Been there done that !! But only for #1 ; just stand up and whiz over the trails !! Never try doing that for #2 Though lol 

• Like 1