Venison shank osso bucco

Todd67

Standard osso bucco recipe, but with veal shank instead.

- 2 shanks, cut crosswise to make 4 (roughly) equal pieces.

- Salt/pepper, sear in heavy pot (we used instant pot on "sautee" setting, but a dutch oven would also be good)

- Remove shanks, add diced carrots, onion celery (1 med onion, and equal parts of carrots and celery to match), cook until colors brighten, about 3 mins; add a tomato or tomato paste if you want

- Add 1 cup red wine, 1 cup beef stock (or 1 cup water, and bouillon or base), herbs if you want - like a bay leaf, thyme, rosemary

- Pressure cook for 45 min, or cover in dutch oven until soft - maybe 2 hrs

- Remove shanks, set aside, boil remaining liquid until reduced by half

- add shanks back to pan, stir in 3 tbsp gremolata (grated lemon zest, minced *fresh* parsley, minced fresh garlic)

serve over mashed potatoes or other starch.

All the connective tissue softened up, delicious flavor.  Was even able to dig a little marrow out of the exposed bone.  YUM!

Edited by Todd67
  • Like 4

I am  a big ( figuratively) fan of osso buco but have never  tried making it..I will definitely try it  this year..The Mermaid probably won't eat it, but if there is any left over I'm sure the stray cats and crows in my back yard will help with any leftovers...Thanks for the recipe...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1