Ok you white collar firm guys , I need help !

Nomad

Our youngest is a CPA , manager at one of the big four , she’s leaving and applied to two somewhat local but well respected and highly ranked firms .  Both gave her offers right away ( almost the same offers )  , one interview consisted of “ when can you start ? “ 

So it was very hard decision, she choose the smaller one , either one will be far less hours in the busy season , and more clients as you’re only on them for a few weeks ,compared to at the Big Four where you can be months or all year on one . The one she picked seemed more relaxed and the company is growing ,both are I guess .

Now a partner from the one she didn’t pick is calling her ,saying they really want her, and what can they do ?  Money is pretty much  at the top already ,so that’s not increasing . I think it’s BS putting more pressure on her ,when they can’t seem to do much more . Are they just trying to “ win .” 

I told her to tell them it was a hard choice ,but she has to honor her word she gave the other firm . If that place sucks she can always call the other one I guess . 

This is out of my wheelhouse ,and for the first time, I can’t give her any real advice , either way I told her she’s ahead .

Edited by Nomad

Perhaps she has other interests that she could leverage...more time off, better benefits, country club or social or fitness memberships or all paid for, paid parking, paid childcare, set her own hours, work from home, a percent of all new clients she brings to the firm, company paid car or allowance, company paid phone or allowance, the vesting in ownership (partner- equity) over a shorter period of time, performance bonuses, Will she be able to hire her own staff and direct them

She has to ask herself what’s most important beyond $ and also decide if she wants to play both sides since she has already given one her word.  My guess about that is most white collar workers I have a 90 day probation. Where the worker or the employer can cancel the deal typically there are no employment contracts anymore. So she could simply say I tried over the 90 days it’s not my cup of tea and I’m moving on to a new place but answer those questions of what’s important first and that’ll help her make her decision for final good luck

• Like 1

Ah, the world of accounting, its such a glamorous career!   Don't ask me how I know.  LOL

Since she's got her CPA my suggestion would be to eventually move away from the public accounting world altogether.  Too much work in the public accounting field and firms typically aren't too generous with perks or benefits.  They are professional accountants who tell clients how to tighten belts so they know how to be cheap.  She could probably get more pay and way better vacation time, benefits, etc working in the corporate world.   With a CPA and big 4 experience she could become a CFO somewhere and make way more than she'll ever make at a public firm and work many less hours.

• Like 1

I work for a global corporation, not the same field, I am in Marketing. I have on occasion hired people having had the budget to pay what they were worth, or more, I have also been in the position to do exactly what is happening to your daughter. It’s not in the budget to pay more, offer more... whatever. The fact is That company can’t offer her more to get her, but the hiring manager wants her. Too bad, their loss. I can’t tell you how many great people I have lost over the last 25 years over $5k. In my opinion, she went with the right company. If they didn’t offer her more money, a signing bonus or more pto time to get her, they aren’t in as good of a position as the other firm. My personal experience, YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Ah, the world of accounting, its such a glamorous career!   Don't ask me how I know.  LOL

Since she's got her CPA my suggestion would be to eventually move away from the public accounting world altogether.  Too much work in the public accounting field and firms typically aren't too generous with perks or benefits.  They are professional accountants who tell clients how to tighten belts so they know how to be cheap.  She could probably get more pay and way better vacation time, benefits, etc working in the corporate world.   With a CPA and big 4 experience she could become a CFO somewhere and make way more than she'll ever make at a public firm and work many less hours.

That’s along the lines of what my wife’s said before ,along with a friend who, owns a very successful financial planning company, but came from an accounting background  . I have a nephew who’s a cfo for hire , he comes in cleans up, companies makes them profitable and moves on , his house is 12,000 SF .

thanks everyone .

• Like 1

Larry
more money, signing bonus, moving costs etc.   if they want her they will find a way to compensate.  

+ 1. What means most to her? That’s what she should tell the other firm and see what they can do. Everything is negotiable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

25 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

+ 1. What means most to her? That’s what she should tell the other firm and see what they can do. Everything is negotiable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sure, you can negotiate, but it doesn't mean they will give it to you.  And if they do end up giving you more than they wanted, they will most certainly make you pay for it in other ways.  They won't forget that you were asking for more than they really wanted to give you.  They will expect more from you for any extra perks they give you so it's best to not be too greedy.

• Like 3

What I have observed over the years is that when an employer is getting aggressive about having you work for them, something is not working for them (usually means they are understaffed, and people need a break from the long hours). And I am sure your daughter is very good at what she does, and they recognize this.

With that in mind, I'd probably advise her to go with her first choice. I'd be questioning the integrity of someone who wants your daughter to change her mind after she's already committed to another company. If she goes with the aggressive company and she doesn't like it, she will have burned 2 bridges.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I gave my answer partially reading your post and also knowing what you told me earlier.   to clarify:

If she already accepted the position with the first company, I would suggest she honor it.    It’s better to take the high rd.   If she doesn’t like it there she can always consider other options, including firm 2.  My only point was that if a firm wants one bad enough, they can usually find a way to enhance compensation.   Having practiced with reasonably large firms for 24yrs, firm culture and values are more important to me that making every last buck possible.   She probably made the right choice if she liked the environment of the first firm better anyways.  

• Like 3

Thanks everyone , our advice last night was go with the one you gave a verbal commitment to , if after sometime they’re  not for you , then you can go back to the other . You can’t do the reverse. 

Brian she’s in line with you , work environment , culture, hours, number and type of clients  etc. mean more to, her then a few more bucks .

• Like 2

Im no white collar firm guy, so sorry if this donest help.. but everything in life has a reason.. Theres a reason saying they want her.. IT may not be a good reason, there may be a reason the spot is open and theyre begging her to come there.. seems sketchy to me.. She should go with her gut.. If they need her that badly as Moog said.. they should compensate no problem. IMO. Best of luck to her. Sounds like a bright future. 

12 hours ago, Nomad said:

Our youngest is a CPA , manager at one of the big four , she’s leaving and applied to two somewhat local but well respected and highly ranked firms .  Both gave her offers right away ( almost the same offers )  , one interview consisted of “ when can you start ? “ 

So it was very hard decision, she choose the smaller one , either one will be far less hours in the busy season , and more clients as you’re only on them for a few weeks ,compared to at the Big Four where you can be months or all year on one . The one she picked seemed more relaxed and the company is growing ,both are I guess .

Now a partner from the one she didn’t pick is calling her ,saying they really want her, and what can they do ?  Money is pretty much  at the top already ,so that’s not increasing . I think it’s BS putting more pressure on her ,when they can’t seem to do much more . Are they just trying to “ win .” 

I told her to tell them it was a hard choice ,but she has to honor her word she gave the other firm . If that place sucks she can always call the other one I guess . 

This is out of my wheelhouse ,and for the first time, I can’t give her any real advice , either way I told her she’s ahead .

My view is the firm should have put their best foot forward. If she is worth more know she was worth more when they made the offer. She should stand by her word and that is the way she should respond to the firm that recontacted her. "I accepted and gave my word on the agreement. I would have given your company the same commitment"

• Like 2