Got your opening day spot picked out ?

Robhuntandfish

Probably my tower, haven’t been in it since Sunday, haven’t been in the woods there since.  I am off next week, so full days sits all week minus Thanksgiving, but will sit till noon id imagine.  Might sneak into my 3M spot next week, or definitely the following depending on movement at home.  I have not been into my 3M spot since last December, and no one is allowed in there, hoping to go in beast-mode style.  We’ll see what happens, but that area I do know how the bucks travel, and times that are typically active, see if that continues this year, from years past.

Edited by Bionic

@Swamp_bucks yeah it’s a bit larger than I planned but honestly it’s great. I thought being that big it would scare the deer but not the case.  Put it up in 2012 and it was just a platform until 2018 when we added the building. We have killed 7 shooters from this spot since putting it up....hence the Buckform. We have a 700+yd long field to  cover with heavy bedding on either side and tons of food for them in the field Opening day weekend has typically been very good.  My son Eric is going to get 1st shot at any shooters that are in range so hope he connects.  

• Like 4

@Northcountryman the platform was put up in 2012.  The steps were added in 2015 and the building was added in 2018.  We finished it with wiring insulation windows and siding this summer.  
Next steps we decided to build out a hunting cabin below it over the next few years.  It’s my new retirement plan...To hell with any retirement homes for me I will be in my Buckform 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

My couch. Officially as of this morning throwing in the towel. Could have hunt today and Friday but zero interest in seeing zero deer. It’s not fun so why frustrate myself. I’d go to work if I wanted frustration. Good luck to all in gun season. 

For real, Jay?

27 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

My couch. Officially as of this morning throwing in the towel. Could have hunt today and Friday but zero interest in seeing zero deer. It’s not fun so why frustrate myself. I’d go to work if I wanted frustration. Good luck to all in gun season. 

Don't quit man! Opening day is when the magic happens! 

Maybe one will get pushed to you. Don't sit it out, you never know how many opening days you have left.

• Like 1

Which stand will be a game-time decision for me. Will be my wife, and then our daughter, and 3 yr old granddaughter here for the week, arriving Friday night. Someone will have to stay back on each hunt. I did that opening morning last year, and we all took bucks during the first weekend, so that's some good mojo. 

It’ll be one of 4 stands on a field edge or that shipping crate/box blind I cobbed up, also on a field edge, but on the ground. The tower and crate blind have heaters so there’s that.

I don’t think I previously posted pics of that shipping crate blind after I got done messing with it. Got too cold to get some spray paint on it to break up the outline, but it shouldn’t stick out too bad with snow on the ground. I’ll camo it up or something next year.

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

• Like 4

@steve863 ha no flush toilet yet still using the snake dangle method out the window or side porch if it’s not too cold.  A buddy of mine used to use PVC pipe and a 2 L Mountain Dew bottle he cut in half as the urinal but I always thought it kind of smelled so maybe a toilet in the cabinet below when we finish it but I doubt it it’s only 175 yards from my house

3 minutes ago, Lomax said:

@steve863 ha no flush toilet yet still using the snake dangle method out the window or side porch if it’s not too cold.  A buddy of mine used to use PVC pipe and a 2 L Mountain Dew bottle he cut in half as the urinal but I always thought it kind of smelled so maybe a toilet in the cabinet below when we finish it but I doubt it it’s only 175 yards from my house

Gravity fed toilet into enclosed bucket!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lomax said:

@Steuben Jerry The packing crate blind turned out pretty darn good got to say I like the looks of it.  Now you got a good spot to hide your Reese’s peanut butter cup wrappers.  Good luck OD! 

Thanks! Might build a few more of these as time goes on. I picked up a pallet fork set for the tractor so I can move them around. What a handy thing a fork set is!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

You always get deer, get out there, at least pull a window screen, you will want venny cubed sammiches

24DA6825-7856-4461-A558-9FFE93CE0DD7.gif

Edited by Bionic
  • Haha 1

I haven't taken a deer off this property yet on opening day, but keep going back. Kinda have to, right? The ladder stand I'll be in at the South end of a hedge row that splits two cut corn fields and backs up to hardwoods. It gives me the best visibility on both fields along with the woods behind. The wind tends to swirls, so I'm hoping that, between my height in the tree and other hunting pressure, deer don't catch me. That'll be Saturday. Planning to sit as long as I can. Sunday evening I'll be in the smaller spot closer to home for a PM sit.

I will be by myself this year . I got a spot in Stewart.  Most likely won't see anything .I do have a rub line and 2 scrapes  . So hoping for luck.  Maybe  the drives will be there opening day like last year .  Will be sitting in my father's and brother in laws favorite  spot . Will be thinking and hoping they scared the deer my way . Rip miss them .  During the week ill qill check sterling forest  . Have 10 days off so  you knows . But I can't wait to sit in the woods and see the sun come up and enjoy  it

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lomax said:

@Swamp_bucks yeah it’s a bit larger than I planned but honestly it’s great. I thought being that big it would scare the deer but not the case.  Put it up in 2012 and it was just a platform until 2018 when we added the building. We have killed 7 shooters from this spot since putting it up....hence the Buckform. We have a 700+yd long field to  cover with heavy bedding on either side and tons of food for them in the field Opening day weekend has typically been very good.  My son Eric is going to get 1st shot at any shooters that are in range so hope he connects.  

Hope your son knocks a monster down from it.

• Thanks 1

I think it will be my 26th year hunting on a hillside at my brother's house. I am overlooking 1.75 acres of decent clover, a half acre of radishes and turnips, and an acre of winter wheat. Hunted that spot from a permanent stand in a cherry tree for 20+ years, now have an enclosed hut to hunt from.

• Like 2

I’m hanging a stand tomorrow for opening day, doing this on a hunch looking for a particular buck! We put a redneck over the food plot so I’m putting my dad there so he should be able to go all day comfortably! We’re installing a 2nd redneck tomorrow an assume my brother will be hunting out of it. 

• Like 2