Got your opening day spot picked out ?

Robhuntandfish

My couch. Officially as of this morning throwing in the towel. Could have hunt today and Friday but zero interest in seeing zero deer. It’s not fun so why frustrate myself. I’d go to work if I wanted frustration. Good luck to all in gun season. 

Wtf? Cut it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Even when I was in my teens and early 20’s and didn’t hunt much, I still always made it out opening day of gun season. Starting in 1996 I’ve never missed one. My dad hasn’t missed one since he started in 1965. I’ve hunted with him every opening day of gun from 1996-2017.

In 2018 and 2019 I hunted opening day with@sodfather@the_real_tciii and will being doing so again in 2020. As far as a “spot”, wherever they tell me to sit!

• Like 4

A little shooter plot I created from a patch of hay scented ferns. It's got WI No-Plow in it. It's about 150 yards in from a larger field. Large tree in the middle is 40 yards. Mock scrape off to the right and several trails in and out of it. 
IMG_4361.thumb.jpg.7e59da9c4b8285f808452bf4a3ed417a.jpg

That’s sweet looking

My couch. Officially as of this morning throwing in the towel. Could have hunt today and Friday but zero interest in seeing zero deer. It’s not fun so why frustrate myself. I’d go to work if I wanted frustration. Good luck to all in gun season. 

What??!!! I always admired your dedication in the stand! Clearly you are joking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll be in the same spot where my deer hunting career started some 23 years ago situated along an escape route for them I’ll sit dark to dark and often catch them moving mid day as hunters come in or go back out after lunch. Only difference is this year I cut down the old built in stand and put up a permanent enclosed tower with heat. Really looking forward to the ultra comfortable sit this year!
3c1f72de64817c8f1b1451659b920f1d.jpg
3cbfa9d0cd27c831c10ef99027171c98.jpg

• Like 5

I think you need some new dirt to hunt to get that excitement back.

• Like 2

Since I will have a non climbing lady guest, we will be in a portable blind. We will set up in a tried and true spot that is on a saddle overlooking some medium thick thorn apples on one side. The good side is a large finger of hemlocks that leads into some thick, bedding area brush and trees. It is about 80 yards to the hemlocks, and the deer like to travel right up the edge or just inside the trees. Lots of easy shooting before they get to the thick stuff.

The other side with the thorn apples has some open spots for shooting as long as they stop. Then it is semi open hardwoods with enough open spots that you can usually get a good shot. The woman has a buck and a doe tag, and I already told her she can shoot what she wants. She will be using my rifle because she likes it and has scored with it before. Pretty low odds of me even picking the gun up because I plan on dragging one or two deer out of the woods because she has shot at two deer with my gun, and both dropped in a heap. 

Good luck to everyone and enjoy yourselves. Hunt how you like and shoot whatever the hell you want. Don't let other peoples' standards take the enjoyment away from shooting a nice , young buck or a nice fat doe. For me, rifle season is helping others get there deer. It's been years since I shot a buck with a gun. I usually just fill a doe tag and maybe a D-Map if the landowner has a bunch left. I enjoy the excitement and fun, and even the work of helping out friends that struggle to get a deer. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 8:01 AM, turkeyfeathers said:

Come on Jay ! I had the worst deer sightings year in 32 years of bow hunting this spot, and  after getting slammers on my summer cameras . Then It all turned on a dime , a very nice buck right to me , and my shot was off and never recovered ugh ...

I hung up the bow 11/13 but I’ll be out there 11/21 . 

Pick a day come hunt with me , The Other Half and Mortalis are just down the road , so you’re sure to go home with something ! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marsala-man said:

A little shooter plot I created from a patch of hay scented ferns. It's got WI No-Plow in it. It's about 150 yards in from a larger field. Large tree in the middle is 40 yards. Mock scrape off to the right and several trails in and out of it. 

IMG_4361.jpg

Looks great!