Staying hidden from other hunters

regulat0r

I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts about staying hidden- meaning using a climber instead of pre hung stands- to avoid other hunters being aware of your spots. I have had many headaches  in the past few years with trail cams being stolen, ladder sticks being removed, and my favorite... me walking up to my ladder stand to find a guy sitting in it. I hunt a few different pieces of private land but each land owner has granted several other hunters permission as well. I recently bought a new summit climber which is nice but due to family obligations, I usually only hunt mornings and carrying 18 additional lbs and setting up in the dark can be a hassle. I have 3 hang ons and 3 ladders in my arsenal but I’m wondering if making a point to use my climber from now on would be smarter for my overall success. 

My stands on public land are usually a mile and a half from any road in fairly steep terrain so I usually don't see anyone else. I use hang on's usually up 25 ft and  I sometimes use sticks, and remove the last two sections.  I prefer a large diameter pine or hemlock with a lot of boughs and branches to conceal myself.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, regulat0r said:

I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts about staying hidden- meaning using a climber instead of pre hung stands- to avoid other hunters being aware of your spots. I have had many headaches  in the past few years with trail cams being stolen, ladder sticks being removed, and my favorite... me walking up to my ladder stand to find a guy sitting in it. I hunt a few different pieces of private land but each land owner has granted several other hunters permission as well. I recently bought a new summit climber which is nice but due to family obligations, I usually only hunt mornings and carrying 18 additional lbs and setting up in the dark can be a hassle. I have 3 hang ons and 3 ladders in my arsenal but I’m wondering if making a point to use my climber from now on would be smarter for my overall success. 

Did they refuse to get ilium of your stand once you got there ? That hasn’t happened to me yet , but I’m sure it will . Find some deep spots for your more permanent stands and then , the easy access spots , use your climber I’d say 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Did they refuse to get ilium of your stand once you got there ? That hasn’t happened to me yet , but I’m sure it will . Find some deep spots for your more permanent stands and then , the easy access spots , use your climber I’d say 

I hunt in 3M so my properties are no bigger than 30-50 acres. The places I hang stands are the best spots on the property. Other guys that hunt the property allow their “buddies” to hunt as well. The guy said...”oh, my buddy said I can hunt here. I thought this was his stand.” I don’t want to bother the land owners bc they were uneasy about hunting to begin with so  if I go to them with problems they might tell me no more hunting. 

50 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Oh ok , even better for you then cuz it’s private ; you don’t have to worry about DEC gettin involved then. So,  put a tag with your name and number on it. Eventually, I’d be afraid one of those guys would refuse to move  and challenge you to prove it’s yours ; you don’t need that crap . 

Good advice, I will follow it. 

11 hours ago, regulat0r said:

I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts about staying hidden- meaning using a climber instead of pre hung stands- to avoid other hunters being aware of your spots.

I hunt public land quite a bit and and primarily use a climber. Not because I want to stay hidden as much as I like the versatility of being able moving around. With gun season approaching my last concern is someone knowing my "spot(s)" because you never know when someone will show up in the area you are hunting. Besides that it is hard to stay concealed wearing blaze orange which I make a point to wear during gun season.

I learned a long time ago not to leave anything on state land you may regret loosing or being tampered with.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

What would you do if you showed up to your stand to find another hunter there and he refuses to leave?? 

I think I would practice some Kung Fu at or near the base of the tree...ruin his hunt and let him know his first lesson is free, when he comes down. 

I’ve thought a lot about this , just in case , and , I’m thinking that the best thing you could do is call the DEC . I would remain there , in place and make the call and , if no service , take pics of him in your stand as evidence and write down what is said ( if you can record the exchange , even better !!) . Then , I would follow him out and get his plate # to report . There is potential for it to get out of hand , for sure, with both parties being armed , but , are you going to let him get away with it ? Hells no!!! 

3 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

What would you do if you showed up to your stand to find another hunter there and he refuses to leave?? 

I think I would practice some Kung Fu at or near the base of the tree...ruin his hunt and let him know his first lesson is free, when he comes down. 

Call dec and leave.  If someone is that idiotic to climb in another persons stand who knows what else they will do.  

• Like 1

Or just take a leak at the base of the tree

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Or just take a leak at the base of the tree

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That doesn’t seem to work for me. I have taken many a leak out of my stand and still have deer come close. Some stop and sniff it. Poop on the other hand...but who wants to do that?
I still like the idea of a free Kung Fu lesson. Even at my school, your first class is free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I’ve thought a lot about this , just in case , and , I’m thinking that the best thing you could do is call the DEC . I would remain there , in place and make the call and , if no service , take pics of him in your stand as evidence and write down what is said ( if you can record the exchange , even better !!) . Then , I would follow him out and get his plate # to report . There is potential for it to get out of hand , for sure, with both parties being armed , but , are you going to let him get away with it ? Hells no!!! 

I’m sure it’s up to the dec officers discretion but I was once told that a stand left on public land was for public use as long as it was not removed or tampered with. I was surprised by that answer and his response was “that’s why you don’t leave stands up on public land.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate seeing stands all over public land. People feel the need to "claim" their spots by throwing stands up all over then get pissy when you take a climber up near one, like somehow their stand claims the area. Or you get in to a spot 45 minutes before light only to have Cletus and Jethro come walking in 20 minutes after light and climb up their 8' ladder stands 75 yds away and refusing to move because "my stand is here." That turns my rage on big time. If you get best to a spot, you go find another, that's woods etiquette, which is harder and harder to find.
I hunted public land my whole life until 2 years ago when I got into a lease. People on public can be outrageously stupid, especially gun hunters. Had a guy once give us some mouth because we made 3 trips past his ladder stand (which was on the access rd, 70yds from the parking area) lugging deer up and down the hill on the deer cart opening day while he watched.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When I first started hunting, I was on some state land in Cameron for an afternoon hunt. This was either my first or second year hunting, and definitely my first time hunting state land. There was a ridge I wanted to get to. As I was approaching it, a hunter in a hang on stand started yelling at me to GTFO of his area. Scared the crap out of me as I never saw him until he yelled. Called me every name in the book for "stomping around on his spot" I was new to the game and wanted to be courteous so I backed out immediately. Kind of with my tail between my legs as I felt I screwed him up. I even said I was sorry and got a pissed off "F*** you" in return. 

Later that night, my buddy's 80 year old uncle, whom we were hunting with that day told me the guy was wrong and I should have stood my ground. Even if I knew my rights I don't think I would have argued with that guy. I was alone and he was so pissed off and over the top about it, I didn't think I was going to get out of there in one piece. Definitely left an impression on a newbie hunter. The only time I went back to that piece of state land was in September one year to shoot tree rats.

I've had this same issue in the past.  I don't like climbers because they're so bulky to carry around.  I've switched to hang-on stands and climbing sticks.  I put about six different hangers in the woods and carry my climbing sticks attached to my backpack.  Sometimes, I'll leave the sticks stashed hidden in the woods so as not to have to carry them up the hill.   If you're worried about someone using one of your hangers, you can use a cable lock to prevent anyone else from using it.

i've never understood the mindset of a guy who feels free to climb in someone else stand.

I have a summit too and while they're nice, I totally agree that they're a hassle, noisy and sweaty even for the most proficient. 

One trick we have in an area that is ripe with trespassers is to cable lock cameras and to use screw in steps for our hang ons. You can remove the bottom 2 screw ins (hide them under a rock or pack them with you) and then your only work is to rescrew those in. It's not 100% but will stop most guys.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Belo said:

i've never understood the mindset of a guy who feels free to climb in someone else stand.

I have a summit too and while they're nice, I totally agree that they're a hassle, noisy and sweaty even for the most proficient. 

One trick we have in an area that is ripe with trespassers is to cable lock cameras and to use screw in steps for our hang ons. You can remove the bottom 2 screw ins (hide them under a rock or pack them with you) and then your only work is to rescrew those in. It's not 100% but will stop most guys.

Ive climbed into a ladder stand on public, my skin crawls the entire time. Now imagine the owner comes and you refuse to get out? Yikes