WNYBuckHunter's Outdoor Journal

Ouch!! Hope it heals enough so you can go out soon. Well my plans to head up yesterday were busted. I've been having tingling sensation from my toes all way up to top of my abdomen for about 1 1/2 weeks. Almost like when you lay on your arm for too long and it falls asleep. So I saw my Dr last friday and he sent me for blood work twice thinking that something may be amiss- maybe Lyme, Diabetes or something else. All came back perfectly normal and my dr thought it was stress/nerves. So i figured going upstate this weekend would relieve any stress. He also referred me to a neurologist to rule out nerve damage. Was planning on going sometime next week but they had cancellation yesterday. Got to neuro yesterday morning thinking all would be well and then head upstate. Well after 2 hours at Dr I find out I have thoracic transverse myelitis which in plain english is a viral infection in my spinal cord. Puts me on steroid meds and says "I would stay home this weekend if I were you". God forbid I'm out in th field and something happens to me and I can't walk... Monday I have go for three MRIs to rule out anything more serious I.e. tumor, and more blood work Why do these things always happen at the most inopportune times???? I missed last years bow opener because i injured my ankle. Hoping it clears by next weekend so I can go up....

Sorry to hear that, hope it gets cleared up quick!

Update on my finger. It seems it didnt get sliced, after getting it cleaned up and a couple of days of beginning to heal, I can see what happened better. It looks like the hub actually took a chunk out of it between the 1st and 2nd knuckle. The soreness is gone, but it is not scabbing over because it keeps breaking open. Ill just have to wrap it with gauze, etc if I go out shooting or hunting.

Update! Well after 3 MRIs and more blood work the drs feel its a viral infection in my spinal canal. Put me on IV of 1000mg/day of preventive steroids to reduce inflammation for next four days (thank God it's done at home) and this morning i had spinal tap to rule out anything else more serious line MS (highly unlikely but dr knows what I do for a living and I think he's covering his a$$). This weekend is shot as well. Hoping to get out before end of the season. Really truly sucks when I've been counting down since end of muzzy season for turkey season to come. I would rather have a broken or cut body part than this sh*t going on!!!!!!!!

Went up to Culver's house early this morning and headed out on a short turkey hunt with him. As soon as we got out in the field, and were about half way to our spot, we heard gobbling coming from the woods across the field. We set up in a hedge row between two fields, on opposite sides of a large tree. Culver called and the turkeys in the woods andswered back with gobble after gobble. The sound didnt seem to be getting closer, so we guessed they were still roosted. After a while, they went silent, and we didnt her from them after that. A bunch of deer came out and roamed around, and we hadsome geese come in, but that was it. We decided to close the gap between us and where we had heard the birds, but they stayed silent and out of sight.

It was a fun morning, and my first time actually hearing them gobble while I was hunting for them. Hopefully next weekend we can get out and put one on the ground. I'm hooked...

Does that burn pretty clean? I have been using Pioneer Powder that is in measured tubes.(sold that way) I bought quite a bit of it a few years ago. (Now it is endorsed by Jim Shockey)

It burns quite clean and is easy to clean up after. When I get close to being out I am going to buy it loose and measure it and put it in the used up tubes.

Took my daughter out back yesterday afternoon so she could watch me shoot the new TC Hot Shot I bought for myself a few months ago. I got it sighted in and then let her watch me shoot it. It made me proud that I hit the target everytime at 30 yards with open sights. She saw me come only an inch away from a perfect bullseye twice. Not bad for her first time watching me shoot it. B)

• 3 weeks later...

Went out to put my trailcam out yesterday afternoon. Put it on the same tree that it was on last year when i got the pics of the local bruisers. I have been eye balling that corner this year, and its been true to form, a ton of activity. While I was on my way to the spot, I had a doe walk out about 40 yards ahead of me. I ducked over to the weeds on the side of the tractor path and watched her for a bit. I snapped a quick pic...

2012-06-09_16-31-18_706.jpg

After about 10 mins I stood up and she took off. I went to the corner and setup my cam. I took a quick pic of the cam and solar setup...

2012-06-09_16-47-57_948.jpg

I will go back this afternoon and check to see how well the positioning of the solar panel has worked and adjust if need be. After I was done there, I headed back home and found this baby chipmunk that wasnt scared at all and posed for a couple of pics...

2012-06-09_16-53-28_55.jpg

A little later I headed out to see if the farmer had cut his hay field yet, and had 3 doe come out of another hedgerow about 30 yards up from me. That stuff always seems to happen when Im not hunting them lol. As I headed home again, I looked across the bean field that my cam is on, and there were 11 deer out in the field. My camera should have gotten a bunch of pics, as they were standing right in front of it.

Honestly, i dont see much of a diff between it and 777 pellets so far as far as cleanliness goes. I just started using it, so I still need to experiment a bit.

I don't think 777 comes even remotely close to being as clean as BH209.... How do you like the Lane Tubes??? Got a bunch but haven't tried them yet... What are you putting for a charge and slug????

I don't think 777 comes even remotely close to being as clean as BH209.... How do you like the Lane Tubes??? Got a bunch but haven't tried them yet... What are you putting for a charge and slug????

Actually, the BH209 just made less smoke. I did a compare-o by shooting 777 and running a patch and then cleaning completely and shooting the comparable BH209 load and running a patch. Both patches were pretty much similar looking. The bottom one in this pic is the BH209.

2012-05-16_20-34-27_836.jpg

I love the Lanes tubes. Right now Im using the 250 Gr TC Shockwaves, 100 load of BH209 (by volume) and Federal Shotgun primers. Its grouping very well so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Got out fishing today with a buddy, and had a great time! We were out for 6 hours and lost count of how many fish we caught after the first couple. We caught all kinds, smallmouth, rock bass, perch, some big creek chub and shad too. It was all creek fishing done with ultra light and micro light gear. No trophy fish, just lots of action and a great time. Gotta go put some aloe on my shoulders, they got torched!

• 4 weeks later...

Last night after dinner, I had a few minutes to get one of my cams back out there, plus it was raining lightly, so the deer flys wouldnt be so bad. I put the cam in my favorite corner, but positioned it a bit differently than I normally do so that the solar panel can pick up more direct light.

I also went to put another of my cams up and discovered the LCD screen is dead. Ill have to order a replacement and fix it.

• 2 months later...

Saturday I got out to the range and shot my AR for the first time. Surprisingly, the sights were just a hair off, right out of the box. The gun runs like a sewing machine. 150+ rounds and not a hiccup. I do want to put optics on it though, gonna use it for predators this year.

Yesterday, I got all of my hunting gear washed and put in my pack, etc. I also went to the farm and finished trimming lanes. I was going to hang a new 2 person ladder stand, but half way through putting it together, I noticed all of the bolts, etc reeked of oil. I took it home and its sitting in the back yard. Im gonna leave it there for a week and then put it up.

While I was a t the farm I started a mock scrape where I have seen one pop up in years past. I just dug the ground up with the heel of my boot and took a leak in there. I will check it next time Im there to see if anything else hit it. Im going to take a trail cam with me and set it up on the scrape. I am also planning on digging up some dirt from a scrape at another property I hunt, and dump it into this one.

So this afternoon I got out of work at 4 and headed to my dads place for a sit. In the last hour, I saw 11 different doe that were all spooked and either running or trotting by with no shots possible. Then I heard something coming through the leaves to my left, so I grabbed my bow and got ready. I saw her all by herself and figured it would just be a little button or something like that. She poked her head into an opening and I could see her long nose, and I knew I wanted to take her. I drew back as she was behind a tree, and she walked out and gave me a perfect shot. She came in broadside at 20 yards, and I zipped it her right through both shoulders. The arrow then stuck @ 8 inches into the dirt. Broadhead just needs a once over and Ill use it again. I love these Montecs!

This is the same arrow I took my buck with last year! Hopefully I can get nother one with it this year!

2012-10-01_19-04-07_239.jpg

2012-10-01_19-07-25_569.jpg

16b6952406d5dd129f16425ae8c8bf76.jpg

2012-10-01_20-56-43_427.jpg

Shes already quartered up and in the fridge waiting for me to cut her up this week. This is the first time I have put one down on any opening day!

• Like 3

Thanks Pav, yeah he was excited to see the deer, pet it, etc. After Mom took him back home she said all he kept saying all night was "DEE DEE", which is what he calls deer. Hes got a good eye already, and spots them in fields while we are driving down the road lol. All of a sudden youll hear DEE DEE DEE! from the back seat and sure enough, theres deer in a field.