Short ATA bows

Chef

So I have shot a Matthews halon 6 for the past 4 years, I know this is by no stretch of the imagination a long ATA bow clocking in at 30 inches. With the new Matthews bows being released yesterday I decided to go to the local shop and shoot the V3 both in the 31 and 27 inch ATA I was shocked how great the 27 felt and actually ordered one. This is the shortest ATA bow currently on the market.

What are everyone’s thoughts on short ATA bows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Chef said:

I have a 28 inch draw so it wasn’t bad..... for you I’d imagine it would be unbearable

I am only a 28.25 myself.  Sometimes I don't like the feel of the short bows against my face when anchoring but its all personal preference.

But doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of a short ata bow if its similar to a longer bow with normal cams in true length?

Most of their bows have had these huge cams for the past few years so it’s a size improvement for sure. I got busted drawing on a fox last week because my cam rubbed against the top of the blind with my halon

The VXR 31.5 is the shortest bow I've ever hunted with and I have to say that it is also one of the most stable at full draw for me.  I've typically shot bows in the 33 - 35" axle-to-axle range.

I won't knock it before I try it but I'm not sure the 27" axle-to-axle bow would fit me at my 29" draw length.

Also, there are some shorter axle-to-axle bows on the market from Gearhead Archery.  I've shot some of these bows at past ATA shows and they are actually quite fun to shoot.

8 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

It absolutely does but that doesn’t bother the marketing department!

Honestly, if that is the immediate thought that came to my mind, I suspect most would consider the same - not knocking Chef's choice. I hope he loves the bow.

• Like 1

Honestly, if that is the immediate thought that came to my mind, I suspect most would consider the same - not knocking Chef's choice. I hope he loves the bow.

Yes I know it’s as compact as it could be but it is certainly more compact than the 31... honestly it was more about how it felt in the hand for me. I 100% did not think I was going to go that direction. That being said, what I did is just buy a 2nd mount for my existing quiver. This way I can switch back and forth between the V3 and the halon with ease.

• Like 2

I hate short bows. I don't shoot them as well and I've never once noticed 3" extra of ATA length. I also like heavier bows. When my buddies pick my bow up they always comment on the weight of it. I run two stab bars, one out front and one out back. I'm only holding it on the walk in/out and when Im shooting a deer but that extra weight/length helps with stability.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chef said:

Yes I know it’s as compact as it could be but it is certainly more compact than the 31... honestly it was more about how it felt in the hand for me. I 100% did not think I was going to go that direction. That being said, what I did is just buy a 2nd mount for my existing quiver. This way I can switch back and forth between the V3 and the halon with ease.

I'm sure it's a kick ass bow , you're gonna love it. 

19 minutes ago, Chef said:

I guess we will find out, if not I always have my halon lol

You can't not like it . You could literally walk into any bow shop in America with 2 grand and demand they sell you a boy that you'll hate and they wouldn't be able to find one ,some just fit better.

• Like 2