WHY are the so many deer in wny

G-Man

17 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Interesting article. Every year I read through the harvest reports and I'm always in awe of the WNY regions that take 4-5x the amount of deer per square mile as where I hunt (3S and 3N). 

Better hunters too ... there i said it.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Better hunters too ... there i said it.

LOL. A gun season definitely helps. Bow only in 3S with limited public land and so many towns having no-hunting ordinances definitely equates to less deer killed, but more older bucks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Ona side note, I always thought it was interesting 2 overall NYS records are both from the same year (1938 or 1939) and same county (Allegheny?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What are you insinuating??

Edited by Lawdwaz

Hard to believe. I live in 8N and have a camp in Steuben 8P. I see more deer numbers. in 8N/8H. Last year I arrowed a buck in 8N and my gun season buck was in 8P. Lost my spot in 8N this year due to a jealous neighbor. Only able to hunt at camp. Still seeing more deer around home. 

26 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Ona side note, I always thought it was interesting 2 overall NYS records are both from the same year (1938 or 1939) and same county (Allegheny?)

isn't there a lot of  deer farms  in that area  or is that PA ?  is that what you are   insinuating ?  that they  came off a  deer farm ?  not sure they had  deer farms 1938 or 1939  back then 

my guess is  .  just lots less people in that area  so more chance for them to grow big, back then  thats all it is .

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

isn't there a lot of  deer farms  in that area  or is that PA ?  is that what you are   insinuating ?  that they  came off a  deer farm ?  not sure they had  deer farms 1938 or 1939  back then 

my guess is  .  just lots less people in that area  so more chance for them to grow big, back then  thats all it is .

1938 or 39  ( not taking the time to look it up ) was the first time deer seasons were held in western NY ....Lots of deer had quite a few years to grow  big  with no legal hunting pressure...Lots of big bucks around that had never been exposed to hunting pressure...

At that point in time, Allegany had more forested land, Steuben had MUCH more  agricultural land... The depression was still on and fresh meat was very expensive and rare....Probably the deer in the ag areas were more  susceptible  to poaching than the deer in say, Allegany State Forest"...  Just a theory......

• Like 5

What are you insinuating??

Nothing negative just what are the odds the two biggest bucks are killed in same county and same year in the last 90 years. But it appears Pygmy gave a very informative answer that likely explains it

• Like 2

I  could almost guaran ****ing- TEE that there were no deer farms Steuben, Allegany, or surrounding PA counties in 1939...

Those people were trying to survive the Great Depression, and I'm betting not too many were spending their sparse $$$ raising deer...

My dad grew up during the depression ..My Grandfather had a good job as a foreman at Corning Glass Works, but Dad told me that they usually only had meat for meal one day a week, because with six kids in the family they could not afford it....

My Grandpa loved to fish and hunt small game and helped supplement the family diet that way, and yes, there were a few deer shot behind the barn at dusk, too....  Hard times.....

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Interesting article. Every year I read through the harvest reports and I'm always in awe of the WNY regions that take 4-5x the amount of deer per square mile as where I hunt (3S and 3N). 

3S and 3N are suburbs of NYC.  You don't have the hunting culture down there like you have in the more rural parts of NYS and never will.

37 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Nothing negative just what are the odds the two biggest bucks are killed in same county and same year in the last 90 years. But it appears Pygmy gave a very informative answer that likely explains it

also  I will add to what  Pygmy  explained  that    Probably those deer were  closely related   brothers  or cousins  they came from the same gene pool  that explains  how you got 2 records  in the same area  .  

Edited by phantom

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

also  I will add to what  Pygmy  explained  that    Probably those deer were  closely related   brothers  or cousins  they came from the same gene pool  that explains  how you got 2 records  in the same area  .  

Yeah, Phantom.....The gene pool DEFINITELY gets a little shallower down this way.....

The term "Sexual relations" takes on a whole new meaning down this way...Hehehe....

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, phantom said:

Ive been to Alleghany county , even the deer are all related down there.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I  could almost guaran ****ing- TEE that there were no deer farms Steuben, Allegany, or surrounding PA counties in 1939...

Those people were trying to survive the Great Depression, and I'm betting not too many were spending their sparse $$$ raising deer...

My dad grew up during the depression ..My Grandfather had a good job as a foreman at Corning Glass Works, but Dad told me that they usually only had meat for meal one day a week, because with six kids in the family they could not afford it....

My Grandpa loved to fish and hunt small game and helped supplement the family diet that way, and yes, there were a few deer shot behind the barn at dusk, too....  Hard times.....

My Dad used to tell similar stories. His oldest brother was off in the military and he had 5 younger siblings to help his mom feed. So he used to hunt fish gather ....odd jobs . Anything that fed them for the day.  Used burlap bags in streams with his closest brother to try and catch fish.  Shot rabbits and woodchucks and anything  they could get.  Might find some odd jobs enough for the.day to buy some.meat for dinner.  Picked berries and mushrooms and leeks anything they could find. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

1st year hunting was open in nys after being closed for decades

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

When my dad gave me my grandad’s 300 savage 99, he’s looking at it and he say’s the amount of deer this rifle has taken legal and illegal. I remember story’s that my dad and my uncles would tell about the  “things “ they had to do when they were kids at times on the farm to put food on the table .. 

oh and you guys are crazy there’s not that many deer in Steuben county.

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2