WHY are the so many deer in wny

G-Man

Lots of deer here but that doesn’t mean it’s a slam dunk every year.

Saying that, I just let my dog out, two minutes ago, he locked up as soon as the door opened. I hit the light and a stunning 10 point was standing 20 yards from the back door, next to my neighbors deck. Bow is hanging 5 feet from me, if it were daylight I would have reached for it!

I would have dealt with my HOA later...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sodfather said:

Deer or big deer ? I don’t think the bucks that crack 100” are abundant as one would think . For my area atleast 

Certainly not, Jay.....These little scrub bucks that I hunt along the PA border don't hold a candle to even those taken in northern (especially northwestern) Steuben County... Once you get south of the Fingerlakes, the size shrinks dramatically, both in body and rack..

I have seen a lot of deer on the scales, and the heaviest buck I have ever personally witnessed being weighed was 185 dressed, and he was killed early bow when he was larded with fat...

120" to 130" bucks are whoppers around here, although the occasional  monster is taken....I remember an 8 point taken near Hornell that scored 154...That rack was so much bigger than what most of us consider a BIG buck that it may as well have been a different species..  Biggest I remember locally was a typical 10  taken  off Frog Hollow  off Meads Creek Road that scored 167 NET....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Certainly not, Jay.....These little scrub bucks that I hunt along the PA border don't hold a candle to even those taken in northern (especially northwestern) Steuben County... Once you get south of the Fingerlakes, the size shrinks dramatically, both in body and rack..

I have seen a lot of deer on the scales, and the heaviest buck I have ever personally witnessed being weighed was 185 dressed, and he was killed early bow when he was larded with fat...

120" to 130" bucks are whoppers around here, although the occasional  monster is taken....I remember an 8 point taken near Hornell that scored 154...That rack was so much bigger than what most of us consider a BIG buck that it may as well have been a different species..  Biggest I remember locally was a typical 10  taken  off Frog Hollow  off Meads Creek Road that scored 167 NET....

Could not agree more. I used to hunt up around Prattsburg.  Guy in our party shot a big 10 that dressed at 195# and eventually was scored in the mid 160’s. Biggest I ever personally saw. The bucks in our area tend to run smaller... but there are quite a few! LOL. The wife and I spanked three decent ones last year.

Western NY, west of 81 has very good/ read fertile soil composition, and generally better habitat. Couple that with slightly lower hunter density and you have the recipe for more deer.
With tweaks to seasons and regulations western NY could be on par with many midwestern states

Alot of huge deer were taken in the thirties...I I am sure that during the depression alot of deer were taken ...off the books...for the table, but there was also no deer season for quite a few years in alot of areas. I would iimagine that there were some awesome deer taken for a number of years after it reopened. I would think alot fewer deer were also killed by cars..the old model Ts werent driven at night so much or as fast.

14 hours ago, phantom said:

isn't there a lot of  deer farms  in that area  or is that PA ?  is that what you are   insinuating ?  that they  came off a  deer farm ?  not sure they had  deer farms 1938 or 1939  back then 

my guess is  .  just lots less people in that area  so more chance for them to grow big, back then  thats all it is .

A few “Escape’s” every year or two can help the Blood in an area without doubt!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bugsNbows said:

Could not agree more. I used to hunt up around Prattsburg.  Guy in our party shot a big 10 that dressed at 195# and eventually was scored in the mid 160’s. Biggest I ever personally saw. The bucks in our area tend to run smaller... but there are quite a few! LOL. The wife and I spanked three decent ones last year.

Where in Prattsburg?  I've hunted that area as well and can say with certainty that the deer population in that area isn't what it used to be.

On 11/19/2020 at 8:24 AM, Steuben Jerry said:

Yup, Steuben county is pretty much hunted out for whitetails. I may have even taken the last doe last weekend. Oh well, with no more bucks around, she wasn't going to get bred anyway. :rolleyes: 

I repeat.....We need a BS button on this forum:victory:

• Like 1

Well let's just say he wasn't ready for WNY food...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think the thought of potentially seeing a wny giant was a little bit too much on his system.

Are you sure it wasn’t the liquid that was consumed with the dinner that did his system I’m?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1