Final Dog Day’s

Zag

I vividly remember picking up Remi to surprise our 3 year old son on his birthday almost 10yrs ago. Every boy I think needs a dog and although Remi was a girl dog she sure acted like a boy all these years. 
She been the typical great lab all these years who has given us such a great experience all these years I hope she feels the same about us. We have all loved her so much especially our son. I could go on and on with great memories! Remi’s health has been going down hill the last yr. First her eye sight started deteriorating  about 2/3 years ago and it slowly got worse to the point she doesn’t have much sight at all. She also had a growth start in her mouth last yr, it started real small and got huge in a hurry. Now it’s so big is engulfed her front teeth and lord knows how she still wolfs her food down. After numerous different vet options and potential costs to try and remove it we decided to put her on some meds to hopefully make her feel better for as long as we can, that was almost 2 months ago. She continues to decline and this growth just keeps growing wild. We’re going to finally put her to rest after thanksgiving before we move.
I think I’m gonna give her one hell of a meal the night before, steak, potatoes a desert, something fun as she loved food!  I’m not looking forward to how our sons gonna handle this, fortunately we have another lab so that should help. Here’s a couple pics my son took yesterday.

622D2385-AF41-490D-B895-E3D11AB7884C.jpeg

127BA9CC-3AFD-4796-8DAB-9FBF537F283F.jpeg

956763AE-0F50-47F1-B52B-4162D3F1A827.jpeg

• Sad 4

Such a difficult time Zag. I’m afraid I’m not to far behind with my black lab. Her health has deteriorated substantially over this last year. Hearing and eye sight are going, back leg muscles are weakening etc. she’s just an old dog getting to her last days.

I wish you and the family all the best in the difficult time ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear. Gonna be tough going for awhile! We just had to put down our 18 year old dog 4 weeks ago today. She had kidney and liver failure, barely ate, lost 1/3 of her body weight in 2 months, partially blind, and you could just see the sadness in her eyes. We were crushed, but felt we were being selfish hanging onto her for ourselves, knowing she was suffering and would only get worse. The house felt empty for days, but we all knew it was the right thing to do and she wasn’t suffering anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Sorry for this situation,  feel bad for your boy. Sometimes people get caught up in selfishness and keep our pets strung along for our own needs. You my friend are making the right decision in putting your pet first and your feelings second.  Just take comfort in the great life you and your family gave to that lab. Prayers sent. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So sorry to hear. Happy travels over the Rainbow Bridge Remi.

Feb 1 will be 3 yrs for my little buddy Colby and still miss him dearly. Got him as a puppy at 2 months old and he was 16 yrs and 3 months old when we had to put him down. It was such a hard decision but the right one for him.  Never had the heart or ability to replace him...I just couldn't. They truly are family.

• Thanks 1