New York Record Bear ??

Early

You must consider this, getting the weight on a big bear is going to be a challenge. Not too many people or places have a scale that will go over 300lbs.

Yes, you can string two scales together and hang them from two feet but once again, having a couple scales hanging around isn't real common for most folks.

I'm sure, just like deer hunters, that bear hunters just figure it must weigh 500, or 600 lbs because it looks big!

You can't guess on these things with ANY hope of getting it correct.

• Like 1

i agree if you dont see bear all the time and arent familiar with them good luck at guessing their weight. when i seen and shot my bear i thought man thats a big bear but i had no idea really then when i walked up to it and me and a buddy tried to drag it to an easier spot to gut it and we couldnt budge it we new we had something really special. his dad was about 100yrds away coming toward us yelling it looks small from here drag that thing then when he waled up he saild holy $h.. its not small at all we had to quarter it out one person carrying all the guns and me and my buddy carrying the section of the front legs to the had the smallest section of the bear and boy that was heavy just that section was 177lbs on the scale and that was with out the entire chest stomach and back end of the bear where all the weight is. the taxidermist took all the measurements and came up with a dead weight between 400-450 i would say hes pretty good at weighing and estimating bears seeing that he does 40 plus bear mounts a year at 16years of doing it.

i also like the guys that guess a deers weight but have never really weighed one. one of my buddys that has been hunting for 5 years now he has 9 deer so far 6 gun 3 bow. this year he texted me on opening day and said he shot a monster 4pt t him anything with antlers is a monster. then he tells me this thing is enormous he weighs 250-300lbs i know he really has no idea what it really weighs so i play along i dont care what anyone shoots if its legal a trophy is different to every hunter and i congratulate everyone on their harvest. i told my buddy holy cow a 250 4pt that is crazy you should have the butcher weight it for you so you know exactly what it ways. later on he texted me back and man that buck only weighed 123lbs and was only 1.5 yrs old then he said i really thought he was 250 plus and atleast 4.5 yrs old lol

I agree guessing weights on bear and deer is the worst and funniest thing to see. Everyone has an opinion. then its nice to bring out a scale and actually weigh it in front of them. its a humbling experiance but after a few years you can get pretty good as a guess. I have only seen 2 deer dress out over 200lbs and they were huge! i never tell someone bragging about their 250 lbs buck that it is closer to 140 its easier just to walk away than argue with them as i have yet to see someone whip out scale and measure it and say see!!

i also like the guys that guess a deers weight but have never really weighed one. one of my buddys that has been hunting for 5 years now he has 9 deer so far 6 gun 3 bow. this year he texted me on opening day and said he shot a monster 4pt t him anything with antlers is a monster. then he tells me this thing is enormous he weighs 250-300lbs i know he really has no idea what it really weighs so i play along i dont care what anyone shoots if its legal a trophy is different to every hunter and i congratulate everyone on their harvest. i told my buddy holy cow a 250 4pt that is crazy you should have the butcher weight it for you so you know exactly what it ways. later on he texted me back and man that buck only weighed 123lbs and was only 1.5 yrs old then he said i really thought he was 250 plus and at least 4.5 yrs old lol

Very common. Most people never hang them on a scale. Other times, people qoute you a weight and tell you oh, thats with the guts in. Who in the hell drags a deer anyplace with the guts in them? If you do, WHY?

Have a good day, Red.

I've seen them weight bear at check stations in NJ during their recent bear hunting seasons. Quite a few 300 pound field dressed bear have been checked in there in NJ. They got a couple of 800 pound bear last season if I recall correctly. Those were not field dressed weights though. The guys didn't gut them, so I doubt they were planning to eat them. I heard the record 800+ pound bear was donated to the state for it's F&W museum and will be a full body mount.

They weigh deer at the check stations in NJ too. Most go 125 to 150 pounds field dressed. I saw one 10 point that was 180 lbs field dressed once. It looked like an antlered cow.

Edited by Grouse