Ammo

Buckmaster7600

I think the last time I bought 9mm it was around 20 cents a round a couple years back. I have a bunch but since I just picked up a new 9mm I will want to be shooting it. I hate to even think what they want for it now if you can find it!!

I’m seeing it around 375 for 500 rounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thousand rounds came today , $599 , which is way high compared to not ,long ago , but may be a bargain with what may be coming .

Biden wants to end online sales , which is where many buy large amounts, if they’re forced to buying , local , today’s shelves may look, full in comparison.

Ive also heard he wants to stop imports of ammo further reducing available supply .

C555D100-764D-4B6A-A0CA-E0F5031D7EFA.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Thousand rounds came today , $599 , which is way high compared to not ,long ago , but may be a bargain with what may be coming .

Biden wants to end online sales , which is where many buy large amounts, if they’re forced to buying , local , today’s shelves may look, full in comparison.

Ive also heard he wants to stop imports of ammo further reducing available supply .

C555D100-764D-4B6A-A0CA-E0F5031D7EFA.jpeg

Mind sharing from where?

• Like 1

I think the last time I bought 9mm it was around 20 cents a round a couple years back. I have a bunch but since I just picked up a new 9mm I will want to be shooting it. I hate to even think what they want for it now if you can find it!!

Local place to me had some 9mm in stock a few weeks ago. If I remember right it was 30 cents a round for steel cased. Not horrible compared to prices I’ve been hearing but still more expensive than before the shortages started.

I’m being optimistic so I didn’t pick any up at that price but probably should have.

On 1/6/2021 at 11:24 PM, suburbanfarmer said:

Mind sharing from where?

Outdoor limited ,website .

9mm has gone up considerably since , not sure if as supply sells out price goes up, it was my first time buying from them .

24 minutes ago, sbuff said:

I think ammo right now is harder to find than TP was back in the spring. 

It might be a good idea ,to keep a supply of consumables on hand for such times . We don’t go crazy but a couple  of big packs of TP, paper towels , shelves of canned goods, pasta ,rice and so on does bring comfort .

If nothing else we seldom “ run out “ of things , snowing , just real cold ? Ok we don’t need to go to the store just the basement . Lock downs ,power outages ( we did 11 days once ) no big deal for us , we’ve got batteries, propane etc to see us through as well . 

become an Ant , not the grasshopper. 
http://read.gov/aesop/052.html

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Local place to me had some 9mm in stock a few weeks ago. If I remember right it was 30 cents a round for steel cased. Not horrible compared to prices I’ve been hearing but still more expensive than before the shortages started.

I’m being optimistic so I didn’t pick any up at that price but probably should have.

On line 9mm ball at 60 cents is a bargain now , most is 70 cents to  a dollar .

30 cents a round , you should have loaded up , we may never see those prices ever again . Seldom after price increases like we have now , do they ever return to the lower level again  , they may go down , but not to original levels .

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

When I was in there last spring , they were loaded with ammo . 

Eddie a lot has changed since then !  There’s been a nation wide ammo shortage ,since last spring . It’s bad and getting worse , 7 million new gun owners ,civil unrest , and  Biden’s proposed gun ,laws all adding to a run on ammo for almost a year now . 

There was a time I had abs , and hair too .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Eddie a lot has changed since then !  There’s been a nation wide ammo shortage ,since last spring . It’s bad and getting worse , 7 million new gun owners ,civil unrest , and  Biden’s proposed gun ,laws all adding to a run on ammo for almost a year now . 

There was a time I had abs , and hair too .

No fooling . I haven't bought any ammo in a few years since I started reloading . I am set with .223 , 25-06 , 44mag , 20 and 12 gauge . Oh yeah , and 22 HP . 

The only reason I was in the ammo section was to check out some muzzle loading products . 

• Like 2

Got an email from buds that 6.8 vmax was in stock.   I opened the link and they had 16 boxes.  Tried to buy 10 and no more available when I tried to check out.  I did grab the last 5 boxes.  Win!  All sold out in less than 2 minutes.  Lol. 

Edited by moog5050

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Got an email from buds that 6.8 vmax was in stock.   I opened the link and they had 16 boxes.  Tried to buy 10 and no more available when I tried to check out.  I did grab the last 5 boxes.  Win!  All sold out in less than 2 minutes.  Lol. 

I have never bought from them but here is a link has 109 boxes

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/68-spc-ammo

From The Outdoor Wire 1/12/21

Before the holidays, both firearm and ammunition makers told anyone who would listen that they were doing all they could to keep up with burgeoning demand. One ammo CEO said “If I had an extra plant hiding around here somewhere I might get caught up.”

Jason Hornady of Hornady Manufacturing was equally succinct when he released a video that said “if we make it today, it ships tomorrow.”

Ammo makers aren’t sitting on product. Neither are gunmakers. But the capacities of both are still being strained by demand.

For the past few days, we’ve been running one of our decidedly unscientific surveys of independent gun dealers around the country.

Here’s the gist of what we’ve found: their supplies aren’t exhausted, they’re decidedly limited. For some frustrated customers, not having what they want means they don’t have anything. That’s not the case in any of the locations surveyed.

In Birmingham, Alabama, one independent store owner noted a record day on Saturday -$85,000 worth of sales. That’s a lot of sales, even for a large independent store.

But he’s not the exception.

Up the street, Mark’s Outdoor Sports customers crowded the aisles throughout the store.

It’s peak deer season, so hunters were prowling for all manner of supplies. But customers again congregated most heavily in two areas: firearms and accessories, and ammunition.

Both stores had new guns on hand, although with far more limited than normal selections.

Both shops were similar in the absence of two things: ammunition in “common” calibers and used guns.

Marks had “some” 2.23/.308 and pistol ammo -in limited quantities and selections, but quantities of ammo for less “common” calibers (think 6.8 PRC and big-bore, dangerous-game calibers).

Traditional hunting calibers were either severely limited or out.

Across town, a third retailer had a “regular customer” come in while our shopper was there. He handed the manager some money and the manager went into the back and got a small box.

He handed it to the beaming customer who promptly turned on his heel and left.

What was in the box?

Ammo. More specifically, .270 caliber premium hunting ammo.

It had gotten so scarce in Birmingham that with Alabama’s deer season peaking, this gun shop was holding premium hunting ammunition for their best customers.

Prices didn’t appear to have been increased much on ammo in any of the three locations, despite the high demand. But all three stores enjoy longstanding reputations for treating customers fairly.

That’s decidedly not the case with all gun shops across the country.

Across the midwest, we’re getting frequent complaints from readers that hunting ammo either isn’t readily available, or is available at prices significantly higher than only a few months ago.

Unfortunately, some price increases are inevitable. Raw material prices have remained fairly stable, but shipping is one little-discussed cost that has risen during the pandemic. Manufacturers are approaching the point where those costs are more than they’re willing - or able- to absorb.

We’ve already received (but have yet to confirm) an informational sheet from one ammo manufacturer notifying distributors and retailers that increased costs will mean their ammo prices will be go up next month. Those increases ranged from 5-12 percent, depending on the raw material used in the ammunition.

In a time when manufacturers are working to obtain as much raw material as is available, it’s not unreasonable to expect some price increases.

The shrinking supply of used firearms, however, is more puzzling.

From the conversations we’ve had with retailers, there may be two possible explanations.

First, a significant number of buyers aren’t looking to “trade up” for newer models or different variants of their preferred brands. Instead, they’re adding new models and hanging onto their old ones.

A second possibility, although less common, seems to be holding true across the country.

Some looking to sell or trade guns have unreasonable expectations for their trade-in value.

As one dealer told me, “the fact I don’t have a case full of a certain model pistol doesn’t mean I’m willing to pay a premium for a used one. They’re in demand, but they’re still available.”

Today is a high-demand marketplace, not a panicked one.

Prices rise to unreasonable levels when consumers fear they won’t be able to buy anything.

Thankfully, we’re not to that point- yet. But we’re all nervous about the future.

We’ll keep you posted.

— Jim Shepherd

Just took a look at a NY based auction house's current auctions. They have one ending tomorrow that has some misc. firearms and ammo in the mix. An example of what they have: Western T22 .22 LR, box of 500 - 37.50 with almost 2 days left. I would not be surprised if this closes above $1 / round.