Ammo

Buckmaster7600

Spring air guns are really rough on scopes.  Crosman owns Benjamin air guns and for the money they aren't too bad.  I have a hunter version in 22 cal.  It come close to a 22 LR round and is quite accurate to 30 yards. 

When I was researching the one to get for hunting I was surprised to find out the Survivalist's Forums see air guns as a gun of choice for small game

Funny thing in a lot of European countries where it hard to own a gun, air gun prevail.  Air rifles were a sniper weapon in the Revolutionary war. If they caught you with one, you were shot on sight.

Lewis and Clark also had air gun with them.  Were Democrats in office then too????

• Like 1

So on Oct 4th I signed up at Buds to be notified when 300 BLK came back in , I got the email yesterday  . Only 5 months , they had a whole 89 boxes .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

asked a guy at small gunshop if he had some slugs he said yes but you are not going to like the price box of 5 12ga  $22  I said no thanks I will hold out until price goes back to normal again , I asked how long he thinks this ammo shortage would last he said 4 years  until we get a new president . I said,  well see you in 4 years then , hopefully its not  that long and I walked out the door .  Funny thing is I went to another gun shop first and they had them for $14 and I did not want to buy them there thinking I could find them some place else cheaper nope no luck so far . 

Edited by phantom

1 hour ago, phantom said:

asked a guy at small gunshop if he had some slugs he said yes but you are not going to like the price box of 5 12ga  $22  I said no thanks I will hold out until price goes back to normal again , I asked how long he thinks this ammo shortage would last he said 4 years  until we get a new president . I said,  well see you in 4 years then , hopefully its not  that long and I walked out the door .  Funny thing is I went to another gun shop first and they had them for $14 and I did not want to buy them there thinking I could find them some place else cheaper nope no luck so far . 

Was the small gun shop owner price gouging or was there some crazy new upcharge in his price?  By the sounds of your own findings he was gouging American Patriots.   If he was price gouging then let his azz lose your business for good.  It bothers me that a mom and pop store would do that to people in their own community who support them.  I stopped going to some shops because they were gouging last time this ammo shortage happened. It's interesting how we all criticize the left for creating this buzz, but some of "our own" have no issues taking advantage of people when they can. 

• Like 2

How many of you are going to stop shooting? Not me I'm going to keep doing my thing if i run out i'll put that gun away and continue to shoot the othere's.I'm good for about 5-6 years except for 22's and 380's.Last time this happened i held off shooting.I'm not doing that this time.What good is 10,000 rounds if i can't enjoy them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

Was the small gun shop owner price gouging or was there some crazy new upcharge in his price?  By the sounds of your own findings he was gouging American Patriots.   If he was price gouging then let his azz lose your business for good.  It bothers me that a mom and pop store would do that to people in their own community who support them.  I stopped going to some shops because they were gouging last time this ammo shortage happened. It's interesting how we all criticize the left for creating this buzz, but some of "our own" have no issues taking advantage of people when they can. 

It's the law of supply and demand.  If the shop was only charging $10 a box of 5 slugs, they would be gone in a few hours and the rest of the folks needing slugs would be SOL anyway.  The left created the increased demand for guns and ammo with riots, looting, crime increases, felons released and their constant cries to take away people's right to own a gun.  That causes high demand, and that increases the prices.  Can't blame the small shop owners.  They are in business.  They're not non-profits or charities.

Smart gun owners have been stocking up for years and have enough already to not need to buy anything at this time.  These prices will not come down until people stop agreeing to pay these high prices.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

His shelfs were almost empty . after I left I was thinking maybe I should have offered like $10 and maybe he would have countered with  a lower price  then what was on that box . seeing   he was the owner of the place .  anyway I got plenty stocked up from before this happened  luckily so I can wait  for the prices to drop again . went to Walmart they had 0 in there . 

last year same ammo would have cost $6 a box

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

It's the law of supply and demand.  If the shop was only charging $10 a box of 5 slugs, they would be gone in a few hours and the rest of the folks needing slugs would be SOL anyway.  The left created the increased demand for guns and ammo with riots, looting, crime increases, felons released and their constant cries to take away people's right to own a gun.  That causes high demand, and that increases the prices.  Can't blame the small shop owners.  They are in business.  They're not non-profits or charities.

Smart gun owners have been stocking up for years and have enough already to not need to buy anything at this time.  These prices will not come down until people stop agreeing to pay these high prices.

yep people got to stop being suckers . Let them eat the ammo in the store at those prices and you will see how fast those prices  drop . I'm guessing its these newbies being stupid buying most of that stuff at 3 4 times the normal price. 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

What brand of slugs were you looking for? Some of the top quality brands are a lot higher then that for a box of 5. They ran $20-40 long before any of this ammo shortage started. Decent sabots run from $18 and up per 5 on any given day.

Almost everyone is price gouging on guns and ammo. I went up to see what all the fuss was about at the New Gander Outdoors last week. $20 per 25 for #6 Remington steel shot is a bit high, so I grabbed a box of Federal for $10 which was still $4 higher then a normal.

I called Guns Inc. a couple months ago looking for Federal basic lead 20GA #4 and #6. Was told they had both and were $30 a box for 25. I couldn't help but actually laugh at the guy.

The only place I found Fairly close to me that seems to be keeping their prices normal is American Shooter Supply.

These shops who are over pricing aren't going to stop, they are taking advantage of the situation and as long as people keep paying the prices they aren't going to come down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DirtTime said:

What brand of slugs were you looking for? Some of the top quality brands are a lot higher then that for a box of 5. They ran $20-40 long before any of this ammo shortage started. Decent sabots run from $18 and up per 5 on any given day.

Almost everyone is price gouging on guns and ammo. I went up to see what all the fuss was about at the New Gander Outdoors last week. $20 per 25 for #6 Remington steel shot is a bit high, so I grabbed a box of Federal for $10 which was still $4 higher then a normal.

I called Guns Inc. a couple months ago looking for Federal basic lead 20GA #4 and #6. Was told they had both and were $30 a box for 25. I couldn't help but actually laugh at the guy.

The only place I found Fairly close to me that seems to be keeping their prices normal is American Shooter Supply.

These shops who are over pricing aren't going to stop, they are taking advantage of the situation and as long as people keep paying the prices they aren't going to come down.

Just plan old Federal  rifled slugs  last year about $6 a box

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

His shelfs were almost empty . after I left I was thinking maybe I should have offered like $10 and maybe he would have countered with  a lower price  then what was on that box . seeing   he was the owner of the place .  anyway I got plenty stocked up from before this happened  luckily so I can wait  for the prices to drop again . went to Walmart they had 0 in there . 

last year same ammo would have cost $6 a box

Walmart is a mess.  Everywhere is at this point. If you are a huge chain like walmart, dicks, etc have at it.  But as far as I know, and what I remember from the last time the ammo craze happened, they didn't even raise their prices on a level like what you described.  The small mom and pop shop that the surrounding community supports I have an issue with. They obviously were doing just fine selling ammo for $6.  Probably haven't seem this much revenue ever.  While the rest of the community might be hurting with job loss and lack of work with Covid, they are doing better than ever.  There isn't even one gun store that can keep up with the demand.  Maybe charge a dollar or two more and people would be just fine paying that.    Me personally, I draw the line at trying to buttf*ck the very people who have given you your source of livelihood.  The same people you probably grew up with and live next to.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

When it comes to money this is unfortunately human nature, they do not give way money out of the kindness of their heart, nobody is going to sell a box of ammo for $20 when they can get $100.

As for the big box stores I have heard that employees can get first crack at buying any ammo that comes into inventory which they are doing and in turn reselling easily doubling and tripling their money.

Until the Democrats whose non stop threats of controls are voted out this is going to continue.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, airedale said:

When it comes to money this is unfortunately human nature, they do not give way money out of the kindness of their heart, nobody is going to sell a box of ammo for $20 when they can get $100.

As for the big box stores I have heard that employees can get first crack at buying any ammo that comes into inventory which they are doing and in turn reselling easily doubling and tripling their money.

Until the democrats are voted out this is going to continue.

Al

To the first part I agree. Which is funny because people won't buy from this place or that place because of policy, but have no problem dropping a $100 on jacked up ammo prices. It really seems silly to me.

The last part, I hate to break it to you, but this shortage and the jacked up prices started due to a disease, all the crazies started prepping for the end of the world and buying up all the guns and ammo. It was not actually completely political, the left didn't create C19, but if that's your take on it so be it, I'll respect it as your opinion.

From what I know from a family members owned small gun store the suppliers are charging about 30% more when they can get you anything. They are putting a small amount of ammo on the shelves when they can at the same margins as always. They have stated holding some back to offer with a gun purchase as for a month of they where trying to selling 500 dollar bricks as that is what a gun is with no ammo and the guns were not moving. If you go to mom and pop shops ask them if they have anything because a lot of them are not putting much on the shelves as it gets bought up to quick and they can’t get inventory back in from suppliers. The crazy thing is with all the hoarding the ammo cans are now in short supply

13 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I hate to break it to you, but this shortage and the jacked up prices started due to a disease

That excuse is a year ago and water under the bridge, while it may have started with that scenario the current shortage is due to Democrat gun policies and laws which they are trying to push through as I speak and which they will continue to do as long as they are in positions of power. Mark my words this ammo problem is going to continue long after covid is gone so long as there are Democrats holding power.

Al

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

The last part, I hate to break it to you, but this shortage and the jacked up prices started due to a disease

The virus was not the impetus for all the new gun buyers and huge demand for ammo.  It was the riots, looting and lawlessness that put fear into the hearts of the unarmed.  And a lot of that started in 2018. Hell, it was even starting to happen under Obama. The left was responsible for all of that, besides the lock downs and economic ruin.

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 6

Guns inc and American shooter are owned by the same person. I stopped in to American shooter looking for a lever action . Even those are gone from shelves. 

Like others I don't see shelves being fully stocked for a long time . I just wish I had more 8mm and 303 British. 

“ price gouging “ is an emotional term not an economic one . It basically exists in the minds of those who don’t understand economics. Housing and land prices have risen dramatically lately largely due to scarcity in the market  , but I’m sure none here would sell at theses inflated rates , it’s just not fair to those who’ve been saving and trying to enter the market .

As I’ve been saying most of my adult life , keep a supply of consumables at home ,  buy it cheap and stack it deep and on and on .

We’ re set ,  now I’m working on getting our adult kids set, here’s what I took out of our supplies and gave to them last night , for the next lock down, supply shortage ,pandemic which there will be one . 25 year shelf life .

23B38AE8-F94F-42F2-B2EF-D3525C5C7B6E.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, diplomat019 said:

Walmart is a mess.  Everywhere is at this point. If you are a huge chain like walmart, dicks, etc have at it.  But as far as I know, and what I remember from the last time the ammo craze happened, they didn't even raise their prices on a level like what you described.  The small mom and pop shop that the surrounding community supports I have an issue with. They obviously were doing just fine selling ammo for $6.  Probably haven't seem this much revenue ever.  While the rest of the community might be hurting with job loss and lack of work with Covid, they are doing better than ever.  There isn't even one gun store that can keep up with the demand.  Maybe charge a dollar or two more and people would be just fine paying that.    Me personally, I draw the line at trying to buttf*ck the very people who have given you your source of livelihood.  The same people you probably grew up with and live next to.  

I can understand your frustration but that's a pretty harsh view on the local small business owner. How do you know they "were doing just fine" selling guns and ammo before the craze? Nothing's easy about running a small biz, especially in NY, and especially a gun shop. Why would you criticize someone who stuck around for years during lean times but now has a chance to make some $$$? Why do you feel you're being personally taken advantage of? I really doubt those mom and pops are sitting around scheming to see how much they can screw the local folk.

Shouldn't those mom and pops be rewarded at some point in the life of the biz? For actually hanging tough and keeping the doors open when no one was buying?

No, the gun stores can't keep up with demand because it's a supply issue. Don't you think they'd like to sell you every shell they could get their hands on right now? Surely they would if they could get any inventory. The whole chain is a complete mess right now from raw materials to production to shipping to retail. I just find it hard to pile all the crap on the local retailer right now. 

Some people have a hard time seeing the difference between making a profit and what they perceive as price gouging. When an item costs a retailer 3x more today to put on the shelf than it did 18 months ago, due to no fault of their own, wouldn't they have to charge that much more to the customer just to stay in business? No gun shop I know off is actually loading up those 1000 rds of 9mm you're looking for either. They don't have a special place out back to make the stuff you're looking for magically appear overnight. Higher material, production and shipping costs are so much more to blame than the local mom and pops for the high prices.

• Like 5