Ammo

Buckmaster7600

Bought some 9mm HP ( Gold Dots ) , .223 and 300 BLK today , the later were at almost online prices which was a bit of a surprise , GD were way cheaper .

Some random thoughts and observations. It was crowded more so then I’ve ever seen . Comments from staff to questions  i did not hear ,” expect another 24 months “ then ,” hunting ammo is just starting to come in “, and  “everyone is still buying .” 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

So are the ammo people ever going to get on board with matching the production to the demand? What the heck is the matter with them. Look at the amount of money they are passing up.

I would imagine they are facing the same labor shortages as everyone else. On top of that, the machinery is not "off the shelf" and is 100% custom made. I'd bet the leadtime for a machine of that type was 12-18 months pre-Covid. 

5 hours ago, Doc said:

So are the ammo people ever going to get on board with matching the production to the demand? What the heck is the matter with them. Look at the amount of money they are passing up.

Doc I posted these before and maybe you didn't see them. I bet the "hood" is snatching up a lot of it through the black markets. Funny how they can get it illegally and the legal citizens can't:

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Working 24/7 , selling everything they make as fast as it’s made. Back ordered two years .

On 10/2/2021 at 4:49 AM, Doc said:

Hard to believe isn't it? One thing they did not mention is expansion of factories or additions of resources and facilities. This is going on far too long.

No not hard to,believe at all . 8 million new gun owners each buying boxes of ammo, existing  owners buying more guns which need more ammo . The average gun guy bought two boxes a year for  each gun , now they buy all they can find . Production has shifted to the most sought after calibers ie nato rounds 9mm, .223 , 5.56 and so on .

The manufactures say it takes a few years to get a new plant built and up and running ,They’re not going to commit to that for what may be a couple year backlog .

It’s of little matter to me, personally .

• Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 7:10 PM, Nomad said:

No not hard to,believe at all . 8 million new gun owners each buying boxes of ammo, existing  owners buying more guns which need more ammo . The average gun guy bought two boxes a year for  each gun , now they buy all they can find . Production has shifted to the most sought after calibers ie nato rounds 9mm, .223 , 5.56 and so on .

The manufactures say it takes a few years to get a new plant built and up and running ,They’re not going to commit to that for what may be a couple year backlog .

It’s of little matter to me, personally .

I think one other big factor is the proliferation of ammo hoarding. When a little ammo manages to land on the shelves, people grab it up by the arm-full. It might be that the ammo manufacturers like things this way.

• Like 1

I've also heard that Department of Defense demand is eating up a lot of production. When we had a discussion with Federal about our program ammunition, they said they have DoD contracts, and then are focusing on high volume calibers, which revolve around recreational shooting. Hunting rounds are further down the list, since there is such a wide range of calibers, and realistically, most hunters are using less than a box of ammunition for hunting purposes each year. That is not verbatim, but is the gist of what I gathered. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 10:07 AM, Doc said:

I think one other big factor is the proliferation of ammo hoarding. When a little ammo manages to land on the shelves, people grab it up by the arm-full. It might be that the ammo manufacturers like things this way.

Guys don’t want to get caught short again I guess . The place i go has an eight box per day limit , 2 handgun ,2 rimfire , 2 center fire , 2 shotgun .

That seems to work well they always have ammo although hunting rounds are very hit and miss . But their customers are more tactical guys .

3 years ago I heard this ammo shortage would be over in a few months. We've had so many rushes on ammo and guns in recent history and things always leveled out in a few months with some price increase. Now I know of many hunters who can't even find ammo for their deer rifles this season. And if your lucky enough to come across it you'll pay 70 dollars for 20 rounds. The theory that manufacturers won't tool up for short term surges is crazy too. Companies could easily have invested in the additional equipment to produce for this long term demand a long time ago and paid for that equipment a long time ago

I'm pretty sure by the time this levels out ammo makers will have us paying a 100 bucks for a 50 Rd box of fmj 9mm target ammo. Create fake shortages and charge more. Worked pretty good when oil companies raised the price for gas from .50 cents a gallon to 3 bucks in a period of two years back in the early 70s, and put all the blame on the Saudi OPEC cartel.

Some factors to be considered here:

The GOV is still letting people on unemployment to collect an extra $300 a week to not go to work. I mean, who wants to work in a hot factory all day for less money then you make sitting at home playing on the X-Box and drinking blueberry ale.

As long as people continue to pay the inflated prices they won't be coming back down any time soon. Just like anything else, when an item is in high demand, manufacturers and retails are going to take full advantage of making money. Time for a boycott? Those seem to work well.

I'm sorry, but this one is part of the problem as well, the doomsday preppers are buying ammo like it's going out of style. When you hear someone fart and think the world is ending you need a lot of ammo on hand, ya know, just in case.

Gun sales for women are way up over the past year, and so so are the sales for men. When you have millions of new gun owners, ammo will get scarce. A gun without ammo is like a car with no motor.

People buying tons of ammo and selling it for jacked up prices on web sites.

Vista Outdoor just announced another increase on ammo and components going into 2022. They own a large collection of brands, and some of the most popular like CCI, Federal, Remington, Hevi Shot..................... If I remember right ( I don't sit around keeping track of this stuff ) the stock in that company is up something like 170%.

• Like 1

I hear alot of blame going to the doomsday prepper groups too but alot of that crowd that I know has given up on buying ammo for two reasons, one is they have pretty good stockpiles already and most preppers won't pay a buck fifty per round of 5.56. Yea we've had many surges of new group buyers in the past but but it would always settle down and things would go back to normal after a few months. And the theory that people are buying everything has me puzzled because the gun stores around here will tell you, I have nothing to sell you you. Demand my be high but this more and more looks like it's a supply side problem. Can't even blame it on Biden or Covid because this supply deficiency has been going on since early in Trumps term.

If your a hunter or a shooter that was alive for the 2012 shortage and weren’t prepared for this the problem is on your mirror!

I probably haven’t went a full week without buying ammo since this one started but it’s nothing I “need” I just know that it can get worse so I’d rather have it and not need it. Ammo prices had been very stagnant for a long time it was due to go up eventually. A box of core-lokts have been 15$ for the 20 years I’ve been buying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2