Ammo

Buckmaster7600

5 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If your a hunter or a shooter that was alive for the 2012 shortage and weren’t prepared for this the problem is on your mirror!

I probably haven’t went a full week without buying ammo since this one started but it’s nothing I “need” I just know that it can get worse so I’d rather have it and not need it. Ammo prices had been very stagnant for a long time it was due to go up eventually. A box of core-lokts have been 15$ for the 20 years I’ve been buying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking of getting back into hunting in 2012. I remember .22 ammo being hard to come by, but most other calibers didn't seem to be hard to locate. When my wife bought a Mossy 500 20GA we had no problems finding ammo for her, I think that was 2013. Prices were about the same as I had remembered. She sold the gun and the ammo about a year or so later. Took a hit on both. Sold the ammo to a member here at a great price.

@Gobbler Chaser, I don't agree with your sentiment on the over the top preppers. Sorry, I read some of those survivalist forums, and while some may not want to drop a lot on ammo or grab up as much as possible as often as possible, the larger share will and do. It's not just ammo either, fuel for backpacking stoves, dehydrated meals, all of it. Like I said, as long as people keep paying the prices it's not going to go down.

8 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

And if your lucky enough to come across it you'll pay 70 dollars for 20 rounds

This summer I’ve bought 7mm, 7mm08, 6.5, .308 for between $25-$35 a box , online prices seem to,run the same if one shops around .

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

This summer I’ve bought 7mm, 7mm08, 6.5, .308 for between $25-$35 a box , online prices seem to,run the same if one shops around .

I paid a bit more for a couple boxes of .25-06 last Spring locally, they had two and I grabbed both because it's not a caliber that's stocked a lot even when there's no shortage. The most I paid for a box of ammo was $50 for Fed. Fusions for the same rifle, and that was long before this new crap storm hit.

For online it's that Hazmat fee on shipping that's a killer. My ML shipped free, but the shipping for the Triple Seven powder pellets was more then the pellets.

• Like 1

So the shop had lots of handgun ammo, some shotgun slugs ,410 stuff, 00buck , rifle was sparse, .22 tons of .308 many kinds of it ,  a few different 300blk , 450 bushmaster ?   Some idk 22.250 or something No .223/ 5.56 first time ever that was gone ! That’s what I wanted as I’m stocking up for my daughters fiancé.

Grabbed another box of Gold dot 9mm for $35 that’s not to bad . I’ve got a bad feeling when Letita James becomes Governor and she appoints a rabid anti gun attorney general too, that they’ll make Andy look like a life Nra member !

0768899C-DAF6-48CF-8E67-45908DB5D8D4.jpeg

• Like 1

I was up in Wally World today and they had 22lr one was for semi auto’s 300 rounds for $21 a box and one was for hunting at $40 a box I for got the name and count,but never heard of ether of them a 22 has always been a 22 to me except those RWS target rounds. Does anyone know who makes the hunting ones and is there any difference compared to a regular CCI 22 and will the semi auto’s work in a lever or revolver?

47 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Does anyone know who makes the hunting ones and is there any difference compared to a regular CCI 22 and will the semi auto’s work in a lever or revolver?

Briefly

There is a wide selection of brands and loads in 22 LR these days. There are 4 basic types with some slight variances even within those types.

Hyper velocity loads like CCI Stingers or Velocitors along  Remington Yellow Jackets and a bunch of other similar rounds have a bit extra juice, higher velocity and better bullets made mostly for hunting bigger small game like a fox or chucks. Some of these hyper powered loads are not recommended for firearms with match chambers. Accuracy is generally good.

Regular Hi Velocity ammo in both hollow points and round nose both are used for hunting. The Winchesters listed above and CCI Mini Mags a good example. A matter of personal preference for HPs or Solids for hunting, HPs kill better but on Squirrels and Rabbits cause a bit more damage, some like the lesser damage to the meat when using solids. Accuracy is good.

Bulk ammo sold loose in large quantities is the bargain priced stuff like Remington Golden Bullets, Thunderbolts etc. this stuff is great for plinking and hunting stuff like Rats. Generally not as accurate as the above higher priced ammo and many  feel it is very dirty, also more misfires and jams in auto loaders especially.

Standard velocity and match ammo, very accurate for the most part and used mostly for target shooting, very reliable. Even though the velocity is lower I like using it for Squirrel hunting because of it's lower report and the fine accuracy it gives in most of my firearms. Almost always loaded with solid bullets there are a few outfits that load HPs for hunting. I have some Ely HPs that shoot one hole groups.

I use just about everything made but if I was to be pinned down on a favorite brand it would be CCI

When it comes to "anything" rimfire "Rimfire Central .com" is the place to go, it "THE" source.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Briefly
There is a wide selection of brands and loads in 22 LR these days. There are 4 basic types with some slight variances even within those types.
Hyper velocity loads like CCI Stingers or Velocitors along  Remington Yellow Jackets and a bunch of other similar rounds have a bit extra juice, higher velocity and better bullets made mostly for hunting bigger small game like a fox or chucks. Some of these hyper powered loads are not recommended for firearms with match chambers. Accuracy is generally good.
Regular Hi Velocity ammo in both hollow points and round nose both are used for hunting. The Winchesters listed above and CCI Mini Mags a good example. A matter of personal preference for HPs or Solids for hunting, HPs kill better but on Squirrels and Rabbits cause a bit more damage, some like the lesser damage to the meat when using solids. Accuracy is good.
Bulk ammo sold loose in large quantities is the bargain priced stuff like Remington Golden Bullets, Thunderbolts etc. this stuff is great for plinking and hunting stuff like Rats. Generally not as accurate as the above higher priced ammo and many  feel it is very dirty, also more misfires and jams in auto loaders especially.
Standard velocity and match ammo, very accurate for the most part and used mostly for target shooting, very reliable. Even though the velocity is lower I like using it for Squirrel hunting because of it's lower report and the fine accuracy it gives in most of my firearms. Almost always loaded with solid bullets there are a few outfits that load HPs for hunting. I have some Ely HPs that shoot one hole groups.
I use just about everything made but if I was to be pinned down on a favorite brand it would be CCI
When it comes to "anything" rimfire "Rimfire Central .com" is the place to go, it "THE" source.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
Al

That’s a cool website thanks

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

Anybody sees any Lightfield 20 gauge slugs let me know!!

I have idk 4 or 5 different 20ga slugs and sabots here at home . I’ll look sometime soon , no lightfield but I know a few boxes of Brenneke Ko slugs for sure .

My plan is to make every shot count, until the ammo situation rectifies.  I don’t see that happening until the Republicans regain the White House.  

The reason I say that, is because I hear that there is no ammo shortages or price gowging up in Canada,  where they don’t have Dinbatocrats in charge. 

With my current ammunition, powder, primer, and percussion cap supply, I should be able to hold out 50 more years or so, if it takes that long.  I am using just a shot or two to check the zeros on every weapon each year, and 2 to 7 more to get the meat that I need or will donate to others who could use it.  

I no longer bow hunt, but any meat (deer) that I can collect with my crossbow subtracts from that total and extends the life of my current ammunition supply.  

I will continue regular target practice with my adult stocked Daisy Red Ryder.  So far, the bb supply hasn’t been effected by the Dingbatocrat nonsense.

I will be damned if I will pay a penny more than need be for ammo.  Doesn’t it stress you guys out practicing and sighting in with “real” ammo ?  It sure does me, which is why I switched most practice over to the BB gun years ago.   It was also relatively stress free practicing with the crossbows last week. 

Edited by wolc123

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

My plan is to make every shot count, until the ammo situation rectifies.  I don’t see that happening until the Republicans regain the White House.  

The reason I say that, is because I hear that there is no ammo shortages or price gowging up in Canada,  where they don’t have Dinbatocrats in charge. 

With my current ammunition, powder, primer, and percussion cap supply, I should be able to hold out 50 more years or so, if it takes that long.  I am using just a shot or two to check the zeros on every weapon each year, and 2 to 7 more to get the meat that I need or will donate to others who could use it.  

I no longer bow hunt, but any meat (deer) that I can collect with my crossbow subtracts from that total and extends the life of my current ammunition supply.  

I will continue regular target practice with my adult stocked Daisy Red Ryder.  So far, the bb supply hasn’t been effected by the Dingbatocrat nonsense.

I will be damned if I will pay a penny more than need be for ammo.  Doesn’t it stress you guys out practicing and sighting in with “real” ammo ?  It sure does me, which is why I switched most practice over to the BB gun years ago.   It was also relatively stress free practicing with the crossbows last week. 

I still shoot recreationally every week. My ammo supply can support my habits for quite some time. Even if i do run low, I can pull out the ol’ RCBS and put a few rounds together. I actually bought a pellet gun last year and have yet to even sight it in…

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I will be damned if I will pay a penny more than need be for ammo.  Doesn’t it stress you guys out practicing and sighting in with “real” ammo ?  It sure does me, which is why I switched most practice over to the BB gun years ago.

It comes down to what one likes to do, we all have our vices, you like to have a Genny Creme Ale from time to time and I like to target practice with my firearms from time to time. Nobody likes being gouged Wolc, live and learn as the old saying goes and I learned from the ammo shortages during the Obama years to buy and stock up on ammo when the prices are reasonable which is was during Trump's days so I am pretty much set to ride out the current knucklehead Democrat reign.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4