Ammo

Buckmaster7600

Just got an interesting phone call from an old co worker. Haven’t talked to him in almost 4 years and he called me a few minutes ago and asked me if I had a few 6.5creedmore bullets he could borrow because he shot all of his this summer and recently realized it and can’t find any in stores.

Although I am a bit of an ammo hoarder I can’t imagine not having ammo for deer season. Anyone else in this position with the current ammo crisis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was well prepared for what I needed.

However, my grandnephew is going to use his dad's rifle for the first time. A friend did his best to restore it after the fire.  Kayden is excited, but I don't own a 30-06.  It took a few phone calls, but a good friend had some extra ammo. 

Hopefully Adam is looking down upon Kayden this Saturday, and he gets to take a nice buck with his dad's rifle. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Just got an interesting phone call from an old co worker. Haven’t talked to him in almost 4 years and he called me a few minutes ago and asked me if I had a few 6.5creedmore bullets he could borrow because he shot all of his this summer and recently realized it and can’t find any in stores.

Although I am a bit of an ammo hoarder I can’t imagine not having ammo for deer season. Anyone else in this position with the current ammo crisis?

Yea my friends been looking for hornady sst for his 30-30. He cant find any.  He had enough to sight it in with and had 5 left over.  It's his drive gun and he like to make sure it fully loaded all the time.  Hes using his 30-06 instead to save the ammo.

There are people around me that are scrambling and begging for shells of all calibers. Store shelves are bare and stay that way from the looks. I can't imagine all the city people coming up that usually buy their license and shells tomorrow night.It is usually a huge line at walmart and they have nothing for deer rifle or shotgun shells.

It’s funny because i took count after I hung up with him and I have 18 cartridges that I would consider suitable for deer and have at least 10 boxes for each, most many many more but I don’t own a 6.5creed. As I said before I admit to being a bit of a hoarder of ammo but I just can’t fathom having none for deer season.

The only round im low on is 30 30 and that 1 and a half boxes after i sold 10 rounds to a freind for his friend. My primary gun i have 10 boxes and enough to reload 7 more. Most of my other calibers i have between 5 and 7 boxes..as well as capacity to reload more

• Like 2

A coworker is trying to find .308 saying he is out.  I cant believe that in a normal year anyone would let themselves shoot out all their ammo, especially in light of recent times (  I am referring to ammo supply, no social issues esp.). And to wait until the week before they need it? Then be content with whatever handful of ammo someone gives them?

I know guys who are still shooting up every round they have planning on being able to find more...sorry, I am not going to have any spare ammo for them.

• Like 2

I have 8 boxes for my 7m08.

6 for my daughters 7m08

5 for my 270 that I don’t use anymore

about 1,000 rounds for my 300 blackout ,and 10 more boxes in route after about a six month back order .

I mostly shoot handguns so that supply is considerably larger . A gun without ammo is just an expensive club . How many runs on guns and ammo do folks have to live through ,before they catch on ? 

• Like 2

I have had 3 coworkers ask me about shells and reloading for them this week alone.  This is the most dried up I have ever seen. I guess I'm an ammo  horder of sorts. I roll my own . I can't pass a gun shop without stopping in and I'm usually  buying components. We are set for a little while .  308 brass is my week  point . Thanks to cdbing. I'm good for now . I will be more on the prowl for brass.

Its hard to make people understand that I don't reload for people  outside my immediate family. Way to many liability issues. 

• Like 4

Many don't seem to get it, in denial. We've been through this before. If it's something you use and see it on the shelf, buy it.

Son gave some slugs to a co-worker this week who could not believe that they weren't at walmart.

A friend believes that if it's in his cart so he can order it, it's just like having it.

I have mentioned this here before, if you do not reload you should, there is no downside to it and it does not cost a lot to get started if you shop smart. Do not be afraid to buy used equipment, once fired brass etc. so long as it is in decent condition (NO RUST) as it is just about impossible to wear out from actual use. I still have my original press that is over 50 years old and it works as well as the day I bought it. These ammo shortages and price gouging will only keep getting worse as years go by, the next four years will probably be rough.

It is never too late! Don't wait!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, rob-c said:

If there has ever been a time to invest into reloading equipment now more than any is the time. Even reloading cases , powder and projectiles are scarce . 

Ya know perhaps I’ve found a winter hobby . I know a guy who used to compete in some sort of pistol competition, he reloaded but not any more he says he has 20,000 small pistol primers . Maybe he could get me started .

• Like 4

Just now, Nomad said:

Ya know perhaps I’ve found a winter hobby . I know a guy who used to compete in some sort of pistol competition, he reloaded but not any more he says he has 20,000 small pistol primers . Maybe he could get me started .

I would if I were you, I go through a bunch of pistol ammo every year. I haven’t run out yet..

Im an ammo hoarder as well, I did stock up some and I dont shoot recreationally caus eI cant bare the fact of "wasting" ammo.. I am now beginning reloading  to fend for myself and fine tune the weapons..

That being said, Ive given out a handful of rounds out to a few people in need. but I will not sell it or give a full box away.. ITs not my fault people didnt prepare properly.. Unless they were in a real hard spot.. Id gladly help out more.. But in terms of ammo and the state this country and its citizens are in.. my weapons and ammo is mine, and stays with me lol    

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 4

I agree with LET EM GROW . The exception being a friend and former co worker, who  just got his first gun , a Glock 9mm , the store let him buy one box of hardball . I’ll give him one more and  enough HP for a couple mags .

Oh I happen to, have six boxes of .32 ball , a few Silver tips and one box of .32 Buffalo Bore , that are of no use to me as the frame cracked on my Tomcat. 

Rochester area sell or trade .

Edited by Nomad