Opening Day

ny hunter

14 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

And just as important as being safe, shoot strait! Dont waste ammo!

(remember the old days in the southern tier when you werent ready for a day without several dozen rounds of slugs weighing you down? At least we dont hear those barrages like we used to...) 

I remember that! The woods sounded like a war zone. 

28 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

And just as important as being safe, shoot strait! Dont waste ammo!

(remember the old days in the southern tier when you werent ready for a day without several dozen rounds of slugs weighing you down? At least we dont hear those barrages like we used to...) 

I may have felt 15 slugs on me might not be enough ....... 

Sat till 9 , drove till 3 , sat again never left the woods , 

4 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I wish they would again. Made those deer get up and move. Red flannel army. No one ever cared about orange. I used to see 50 cars on way to school

Yep , today Gun hunters hunt like bow hunters . Back in the day everyone drove their wood lots and creek beds after a morning sit, and the deer were running all day everywhere . Heck tomorrow I’ll go home mid day . 

Around me it still sounds like a warzone. It's not uncommon to hear 8 or 9 shots in a row, or to hear shots happening all around all day. I was talking to the neighbor that I share my Southern property line with. He has about 30ish acres and plans to have 8 guys in there tomorrow. My area definitely has deer density, but there is also tons of pressure on the herd.

Good luck tomorrow, have fun and be safe.

• Like 1

Miss being in a camp....but we'll revisit that in the years to come. Opening day gun is just a special time in the deer woods. Can't wait for the first boom...,with the nice weather it's gonna be early this year. Woods should be packed.

My 4 year old asked this morning what day was today.....I responded Friday.....he then said well tomorrow is Saturday and that means we need to shoot a deer in the afternoon! Looked at my wife and said .....well we can't break the kids heart!

LFG!! Be safe....have fun.....and enjoy the great outdoors with friends and family!!!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

OK, I thought this was a bad luck season before but now I’m sure. Broke my release when I had a spine doe to finish off, broke my crossbow the first live shot I took with it, hit a deer with my truck ($4500 in damages) and finally, find out this morning that my wife and son had all day exposure to a person that ended up in the ER last night and tested COVID-19 positive.

Luckily, I have my own 40 acres to hunt from home but I typically host a group of friends and young hunters on opening day and we’ve had tremendous luck with it. Not this year. Just finished calling them all to break the news. I told them they could hunt if they wish but no coming in the barn and no breakfast or lunch inside. I was relieved that they all decided not to hunt here.

Wonder what else is going to make this a memorable season. At least I got meat in the freezer with that doe.....

I'm taking my SIL out for his very first hunt.  I plan to train him right.   Shoot only a deer you will be proud of.  Take that deer by aiming at heart/lung.  Don't take the shot that doesn't.  Shoot once, twice max.  Know your target and what could be behind it.  Better not to shoot then live a lifetime of regret.   

Opening morning (used to be Tuesday) and thanksgiving....traffic on the throughway and 81 like it was rush hour, with every vehicle full of red /orange hats. The old drives did move alot of deer...if you sat still, chances are you would still see  something getting moved around. A few locations we went to it seemed as though there was a hunter behind every tree. Down on Connecticut Hill, the barrages would start way before first light! That was scary! 

• Like 1

I have really enjoyed bow season these last few years and have not looked forward to gun. Well I can see nothing just as easy in gun season too so bring it on. At least if i do see something i can reach out and touch it.....Be safe everyone and try to get some sleep tonight!