What did you forget this morning ?

Water Rat

I forgot the exact location of my swamp edge hang on stand.  The woods were loaded with downed timber from the heavy winds last week, blocking most of the trails.  It took me an extra 15 minutes, bumbling around in the dark to locate my stand.  

I finally found it, by locating the energetic nieghbor's line of posted signs (he posts about every 25 ft).  My stand is 50 ft from his corner marker. I wanted to be up in it 45 minutes before light, but I cut it a little closer and it was already starting to get light.

I heard 20 shots before dawn, and did not see my first deer until 10, when a doe and fawn passed at 50 yards, not giving me a clean shot.  This busted up the 6-point came thru on their trail, 10 minutes later.  

I let him pass, because I could only see 2 points, but for the heck of it, I gave a few grunts and he turned and came right towards me.  I saw he had three on the other side, making my cut, so he got a slug in the "shirt pocket", at 40 yards.

After pocketing the slug, he ran 100 yards into the deepest part of the swamp before splashing down, making for a wet recovery.  Now, he is hanging and I am drying out, thinking about heading back out to look for an  antletless deer.

20201121_103936.jpg

• Like 4