Need help with tag question

Gerald 76

Hello

New to Ny hunting And the laws are different from what  I’m used to. Basically I have a reg season antlered tag and I have the bow hunting either sex tag. Can I gun hunt And shoot a doe and use my either sex tag, or can I only shoot a buck during gun season using the reg season tag. Any help would be great.  Thanks ahead of time. 

Edited by Gerald 76

Regular season (gun) is antlered deer only. You cannot use your either sex now/muzzleloader tag. 
This is my first year hunting NY as well, and the antler only tags threw me as well. You can apply for DMP’s before season, which would be your antlerless permit. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gerald 76 said:

Thanks Splitear. That’s how I read it I just wanted to make sure. I don’t really get that at all but it is what it is. I am used to Ohio gun and hunting laws where the tag is good for either sex. Thanks again. 

I can from Illinois, where it sounds like things are similar to Ohio. When you got a gun tag (through a lottery system) you got an either sex tag, or if you were late, an antlerless only. Those tags were only good for the county that you applied for. However, you could pretty much buy as many antlerless tags as you wanted over the counter. 

Since you’re new, welcome! How long have you been in New York?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gerald 76 said:

I’ve been in the upstate area for a few years now and just trying to g back out. Used to getting three to four every year in Ohio. Where you at hunting?

I’m the same way, my best season when I lived back home in Southern Illinois, I took 11 between gun and bow season. I shared a lot of venison that year. 
I live in Ballston Spa/Milton up near Saratoga, and hunt over by Galway/Charlton. How about you?

There’s a buck I was trying for during bow. Like yesterday and today gun opens. So I can’t use my archery either sex tag until after gun ( regular ) season but still can hunt him with bow during gun but if I get him I use my gun tag and check weapon as bow. How’s that for interesting 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

And my personal favorite,your reg season unfilled buck tag becomes an either sex tag for muzzleloading if you purchased that privilege.

I am very thankful that the late ML season starts a week earlier in the northern zone, than the southern zone.  I punched my regular season buck tag today on a mediocre buck in the southern zone.  I would love to get another crack at a monster Adirondack buck that I was too slow for, on opening day up there in the northern zone, a month ago.

Since I still have my archery/ML either sex tag, December 13 might be the day.  I also have an antletless tag that  I can use up there then.  

Wr always have free food and lodging up there at the in-laws retirement home. It don't look like there will be any snow up there when we go up for Thanksgiving weekend, so I won't be missing out on much then (deer are about 10X harder to kill up there without snow).  

If I don't have any luck on a big one up there on December 13th weekend, I will still have another crack at getting one at home with the ML on the following weekend.  I think my odds of that are good, based on the good turnip plots and standing corn that should still be available here at that time. 

I haven't punched both of my buck tags since 2016, but I feel good about my chances this year. Does don't do much for me.  I don't care for doe fat sticking to the roof of my mouth and they take a lot longer for me to process, trying to trim it all away.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I am very thankful that the late ML season starts a week earlier in the northern zone, than the southern zone.  I punched my regular season buck tag today on a mediocre buck in the southern zone.  I would love to get another crack at a monster Adirondack buck that I was too slow for, on opening day up there in the northern zone, a month ago.

Since I still have my archery/ML either sex tag, December 13 might be the day.  I also have an antletless tag that  I can use up there then.  

Wr always have free food and lodging up there at the in-laws retirement home. It don't look like there will be any snow up there when we go up for Thanksgiving weekend, so I won't be missing out on much then (deer are about 10X harder to kill up there without snow).  

If I don't have any luck on a big one up there on December 13th weekend, I will still have another crack at getting one at home with the ML on the following weekend.  I think my odds of that are good, based on the good turnip plots and standing corn that should still be available here at that time. 

I haven't punched both of my buck tags since 2016, but I feel good about my chances this year. Does don't do much for me.  I don't care for doe fat sticking to the roof of my mouth and they take a lot longer for me to process, trying to trim it all away.

I don't mind eating does at all. Most years i wouldn't eat any venison if not for does. Plus we have too many of them here.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I don't mind eating does at all. Most years i wouldn't eat any venison if not for does. Plus we have too many of them here.

I don't mind eating them, but it takes me a lot longer to get them ready to eat than bucks do.  Also, there is always a shortage of them around here by hunting season every year, thanks to the local farmers and their nuisance permits.

I see an average of 4 antlered deer, per each antlerless one, from October 1 thru December 31 every year.

57 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I don't mind eating them, but it takes me a lot longer to get them ready to eat than bucks do.  Also, there is always a shortage of them around here by hunting season every year, thanks to the local farmers and their nuisance permits.

I see an average of 4 antlered deer, per each antlerless one, from October 1 thru December 31 every year.

It's more than the opposite here,i would say 8 to 1 doe vs buck sightings. And the trimming is true to some extent. My bow buck was fat,this one is not,he jas been running.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, left field said:

@ATbuckhunter Thanks, but I'm seriously confused.

I'm using just a ML.

A) I can shoot an either sex (buck or doe) and use that ML tag. 

B) I can shoot an antlerless (doe or antlerless male) and use that ML tag.

C) I can use the regular season tag for either sex.

The question is can I use all three (A+B+C) or just one (A or B or C)?

If I am understanding what your wrote correctly, its all 3.

The reg season buck tag becomes an either sex tag in ML season, the bow season either sex remains an either sex tag, and your ML season tag is good for a doe anywhere in the state. Thats how I know the laws to be. 

Edited by ATbuckhunter