Lost a good hunting and fishing buddy today.

wolc123

A very good friend of mine has been in a coma for a while, and I recieved word this afternoon, that we lost him today.  That puts a damper on this opening day for sure.  I take comfort in the fact that he is in a better place now.  

I am certain of that, because just after I sent up a prayer for God to give him a good room in his mansion, I randomly opened my pocket New Testament, and this was the verse that my eyes fell upon:

This one is for you Joe:

20201121_151414.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Very sorry to hear that Wolc, condolences and prayers to you. I lost one of my hunting and fishing friends earlier this year. I learned a lot from him and miss him every day, especially on season openers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this Wolc, a little comfort at least in the coincidence of your book opening up that way, i’d say.

I lost my Grandpa 2 yrs ago on the 19th of November, obviously I always think about him, but when SZ gun opens, he is on my mind even more.  I have his old Thermos, that he used every single day working, so I often bring that when I hunt.  Anyways, this topic isn't about him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Sorry to hear this Wolc, a little comfort at least in the coincidence of your book opening up that way, i’d say.

I lost my Grandpa 2 yrs ago on the 19th of November, obviously I always think about him, but when SZ gun opens, he is on my mind even more.  I have his old Thermos, that he used every single day working, so I often bring that when I hunt.  Anyways, this topic isn't about him.

I still think about my grandpa a lot also and he had been gone 40 years.  I am hunting on his old farm right now in fact,  and last year I used his old Ithaca 37 16 ga to kill my first doe here.  

I was just going to mount the antlers and skull plate of the buck that I killed this morning, but now I will do a power-washer euro, and name it "Joe".

Sadly, that won't be the first wall decoration I named for a hunting buddy who has passed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wolc123 said:

I still think about my grandpa a lot also and he had been gone 40 years.  I am hunting on his old farm right now in fact,  and last year I used his old Ithaca 37 16 ga to kill my first doe here.  

I was just going to mount the antlers and skull plate of the buck that I killed this morning, but now I will do a power-washer euro, and name it "Joe".

Sadly, that won't be the first wall decoration I named for a hunting buddy who has passed.

I like that euro idea, that is a great idea.

That is indeed unfortunate about other hunting buddies.  It is difficult to describe what my point is, but the way you have wall decorations from harvests in memory of buddies who have passed, goes well with how I always say hunting is so much deeper than what people think hunting is.  There are just so many aspects of hunting that form bonds between the people, the land, the coat such n such wore prior to being handed down, the rifle, the actual animal, the field dressing knife....on, and on, and on.

• Like 1

Just now, Bionic said:

I like that euro idea, that is a great idea.

That is indeed unfortunate about other hunting buddies.  It is difficult to describe what my point is, but the way you have wall decorations from harvests in memory of buddies who have passed, goes well with how I always say hunting is so much deeper than what people think hunting is.  There are just so many aspects of hunting that form bonds between the people, the land, the coat such n such wore prior to being handed down, the rifle, the actual animal, the field dressing knife....on, and on, and on.

It is all about the memories.  Every time I look at "Jake", on the wall of my in-laws retirement home, I think of the kind, young real estate agent who sold them their land and showed me the hot spots up there. 

I know that "Joe" will have that same effect:

20201121_103936.jpg

• Like 1