Thoughts on bucks shot on my property?

NYBowhunter

Not sure if coincidental or not but for some reason over the years we have shot 4 decent bucks and they were all shot at 10am or very close to that time and all were shot the day after opening day (Sunday).  Is there something to this?  That day and time seems to happen too often to be just coincidental?

1 minute ago, NYBowhunter said:

Not sure if coincidental or not but for some reason over the years we have shot 4 decent bucks and they were all shot at 10am or very close to that time and all were shot the day after opening day (Sunday).  Is there something to this?  That day and time seems to happen too often to be just coincidental?

After your experiences and reading T feathers post about showing up late morning I wonder why the hell I’m getting up early:-)

1 minute ago, Zag said:

After your experiences and reading T feathers post about showing up late morning I wonder why the hell I’m getting up early:-)

I hear ya, but even after all those experiences I still haul my ass up that mountain and in my stand at 530am. Like you im a glutton for long days, but it does eventually pays its dues. 

Just now, NYBowhunter said:

I hear ya, but even after all those experiences I still haul my ass up that mountain and in my stand at 530am. Like you im a glutton for long days, but it does eventually pays its dues. 

My first yr bow hunting I slept in one morning while my dad & brother when hunting. When they came back that morning I was just getting my butt in gear and headed out. Shot my first deer (6pt) that morning. Maybe I should use remind myself that some morning!

Just now, Zag said:

My first yr bow hunting I slept in one morning while my dad & brother when hunting. When they came back that morning I was just getting my butt in gear and headed out. Shot my first deer (6pt) that morning. Maybe I should use remind myself that some morning!

You may be on to something..late mornings are key.

4 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I did not see or hear a thing from my spot until 10:00 on opening day.  Two doe came by then.  My buck followed about 15 minutes later.  I did not get out till 1 pm today, so no telling how they were moving late morning.

Same here but my buck I shot today at 945am was on the track of two does that passed at 8am, thier sense of smell is phenomenal,  he picked up thier smell and off he went, had a split second to get on him and shoot. He was almost like a beagle on a cold trail trying to figure out the line, once he figured out that line he was off to the races. 

2 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Kinda feel the same way about mid mornings. Not sure I've ever shot a real big buck before 9am.  That big stud was out in the field opening morning at 9 at my place.  Early mornings don't bother me though, love that sunrise!

Sunrises on top of a mountain for me are epic, pretty hard to beat. Check this out.

20201122_221241.jpg

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Same here but my buck I shot today at 945am was on the track of two does that passed at 8am, thier sense of smell is phenomenal,  he picked up thier smell and off he went, had a split second to get on him and shoot. He was almost like a beagle on a cold trail trying to figure out the line, once he figured out that line he was off to the races. 

Mine was definitely hot on the trail of  the doe.  Fortunately, he was of the jealous type.  Never have I had one respond better to a grunt call. I did not get a good look at him on the first pass, but he came in on a wire, to a couple soft grunts.

3 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Mine was definitely hot on the trail of  the doe.  Fortunately, he was of the jealous type.  Never have I had one respond better to a grunt call. I did not get a good look at him on the first pass, but he came in on a wire, to a couple soft grunts.

Thats great, I wasn't taking any chances with my buck, ten more yards and over the stone wall he was in my sanctuary and who knows how many does were in there. There would be no calling him back, had to make a fast decision to lead him and shoot soon as he stepped into my crosshairs.

Thats the special time. 10-2. I always hear alot of people say it.

I always figured alot of people get up and are heading out at 10 and heading in at 2. Maybe the extra motion gets bucks up or bumped and then they start cruising around then.  Then at 2 they start to get bumped again feel the pressure and lay up tight.  Just a theory.

I would say  your on to something , Probably half the deer I’ve killed over the years have been late / mid morning. When I hunted my cousins camp I would always stay in the woods till late lunch and every one around me would start moving and push deer. I really like mid morning hunts when the temp drops down to around that zero or below mark. The deer will  get up and move after bedding in the early morning. 

21 minutes ago, rob-c said:

I would say  your on to something , Probably half the deer I’ve killed over the years have been late / mid morning. When I hunted my cousins camp I would always stay in the woods till late lunch and every one around me would start moving and push deer. I really like mid morning hunts when the temp drops down to around that zero or below mark. The deer will  get up and move after bedding in the early morning. 

Definitely was ideal conditions yesterday  morning. very light wind, cold and crisp 25 degrees. It just felt right. But 10am has always been that magical time in which almost all of the big bucks are taken on my property.

My place opining day is typically slow, the bigger bucks are usually taken mondays and tuesdays. Just a factor of bucks heading for security cover after hiding opening day weekend, the buck jay got was on a beeline to a 30 acre piece we leave as a sanctuary and do not enter except every few uears in winter to drop trees to keep it thick and nasty. Deer know they are safe there. In actuallity jay sbuck needed to go 100 yards more and would of been safe...

Edited by G-Man

17 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

10-2..........  I will never wake up at 430 am again

To be honest i don't recall ever shooting a big buck before 930. Some smaller ones yes but not the big guys. Have shot a couple big ones later then 2 but the mass majority were killed between 9:45 and 10:30am.

5 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

To be honest i don't recall ever shooting a big buck before 930. Some smaller ones yes but not the big guys. Have shot a couple big ones later then 2 but the mass majority were killed between 9:45 and 10:30am.

Almost all mine were killeds 730 am  to 930 am

5 minutes ago, G-Man said:

My place opining day is typically slow, the bigger bucks are usually taken mondays and tuesdays. Just a factor of bucks heading for security cover after hiding opening day weekend, the buck jay got was on a beeline to a 30 acre piece we leave as a sanctuary and do not enter except every few uears in winter to drop trees to keep it thick and nasty. Deer know they are safe there. In actuallity jay sbuck needed to go 100 yards more and would of been safe...

For us that magical day and time has always been the day after the opener on Sunday and has always been around 10am. Like Jay's buck, the buck I shot yesterday only had 10 more yards and would have been in my sanctuary.  Like you, the only time I enter that sanctuary is if I need to retrieve a deer in there, have not been in that 10 acre section in years.

• Like 1