Long wait almost lost.

jvillegas2086

Well, it happened. I harvested “the big one” (as per my youngest daughter ordered, and the one that me and my oldest daughter came across once). Day two of rifle season 2020 is one to remember. Coming onto this handsome buck who was strutting his stuff as the king of the hill was an an amazing experience.

I walked from my spot towards a path several deer crossed, and there he came down a hill. He came down the hill like a king. I stopped in my tracks as my heart began to pump harder and faster. He had three doe right behind me, and one spotted me. I thought I was toast. Then another smaller buck pushed the three doe out and walked over to this big fella. The two bucks stayed in one spot over 40 minutes. I didn’t have a shot, and there were deer all over. Moving at this point was not an option. Sure my legs went numb after watching them hang out over 53 minutes without presenting a shot, but I got him.

The two bucks finally made their way down the hill towards the opening for a shot but my rifle misfired. I had to pump it the get the next shell, but they spotted me in doing so. I had to rush the 75-85 yard shot without a scope. My body went into shock mode. Did I get him? To top this crazy morning off the shot was a clean shot, and he didn’t travel far.

The two bucks were right behind the Y tree and on the other side of the pine.

3e74ac00e82ba90280ecf19101156744.jpg

This was the opening I shot through. You are looking passed the leaves , passed the pine, over big grass, and they were on the other side of the field. db6e92fd4ce7abff8ee65738e7babda1.jpg

It going to lie. I didn’t think I made a good shot in the heat of the moment. I was in shock when we found him. Let alone not far from the shot.

25e4b07705d2bd0c84d24cafe4d7a7f8.jpg

The girls were supper excited.

0ab1b39a75ee1ad7a4f71a4ac6cc5ddb.jpg

I’m supper thankful to have gotten this opportunity. Thank you buck.

ae729c1b22eb4ef75fc325fe50b3e239.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 22

1 hour ago, jvillegas2086 said:

Well, it happened. I harvested “the big one” (as per my youngest daughter ordered, and the one that me and my oldest daughter came across once). Day two of rifle season 2020 is one to remember. Coming onto this handsome buck who was strutting his stuff as the king of the hill was an an amazing experience.

I walked from my spot towards a path several deer crossed, and there he came down a hill. He came down the hill like a king. I stopped in my tracks as my heart began to pump harder and faster. He had three doe right behind me, and one spotted me. I thought I was toast. Then another smaller buck pushed the three doe out and walked over to this big fella. The two bucks stayed in one spot over 40 minutes. I didn’t have a shot, and there were deer all over. Moving at this point was not an option. Sure my legs went numb after watching them hang out over 53 minutes without presenting a shot, but I got him.

The two bucks finally made their way down the hill towards the opening for a shot but my rifle misfired. I had to pump it the get the next shell, but they spotted me in doing so. I had to rush the 75-85 yard shot without a scope. My body went into shock mode. Did I get him? To top this crazy morning off the shot was a clean shot, and he didn’t travel far.

The two bucks were right behind the Y tree and on the other side of the pine.

3e74ac00e82ba90280ecf19101156744.jpg

This was the opening I shot through. You are looking passed the leaves , passed the pine, over big grass, and they were on the other side of the field. db6e92fd4ce7abff8ee65738e7babda1.jpg

It going to lie. I didn’t think I made a good shot in the heat of the moment. I was in shock when we found him. Let alone not far from the shot.

25e4b07705d2bd0c84d24cafe4d7a7f8.jpg

The girls were supper excited.

0ab1b39a75ee1ad7a4f71a4ac6cc5ddb.jpg

I’m supper thankful to have gotten this opportunity. Thank you buck.

ae729c1b22eb4ef75fc325fe50b3e239.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats he’s a slammer of a buck, and great story. Love the girls smiles, couple little cutie’s you have there. 

Congratulations, you have a real nice Buck there. I can relate to your story a bit as in well over fifty years of hunting I had my first misfire ever drawing down on a  Deer this year, it is a little unsettling. I was lucky that I was far enough away that the Deer did not hear the hammer drop on the single shot rifle I was using and also replacing the misfire with a fresh round was quiet also. Those shell shucker pumps draw attention to your location in a hurry when they are operated, a tough situation and you did real well under pressure.

Al

Edited by airedale

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...