Deer Check Gone Bad

bfahy13

Was packing up the cabin yesterday and get a phonecall from my girlfriend. 

She was crossing the Throgs Neck bridge going north, and noticed a pickup pulled over going south. 2 state troopers, 3 dec cars, and more than 7 beautiful 130" + bucks in the bed, with only 1 guy in the car.

The more I was thinking about it the harder I found it that 1 guy could shoot 7 deer of that size in just 2 days, however he was being patted down as if he was going to be arrested. 

Could he have possible shot all of them, or is it more plausible that he was just taking his buddies deer back home for them? 

18 minutes ago, Belo said:

it's also possible he was an outfitter, or part of a deer camp and he lived closest to the butcher. Heck could even be some high fence turkey shoot and the other guys flew home and left him the meat.

We always expect the worst, but it's not always the case... alas sometimes it is.

I 1000% agree. This weekend I drove home with 3 as a few of my friends got deer, but all drive cars, and I have a truck. From the explanation I got from my girlfriend however, it seemed the cops were being very aggressive towards him. He was up against the hood being patted down. 

• Like 2

One guy couldnt legally shoot that many deer in NY anyway. One buck for regular season rifle, one for bow and one for ML...but all different time frames. It would be telling if they were all shot in the face...

Of course it is legal to transport someone elses deer, but it better be tagged and you need to have written note for transport (I think that is what you need....never had to worry about it...)

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

One guy couldnt legally shoot that many deer in NY anyway. One buck for regular season rifle, one for bow and one for ML...but all different time frames. It would be telling if they were all shot in the face...

Of course it is legal to transport someone elses deer, but it better be tagged and you need to have written note for transport (I think that is what you need....never had to worry about it...)

the written note for transport isn't something I've heard of commonly mentioned. Too lazy to look it up, but even with 7 different tags and signatures, i'm sure the DEC would be anxious to validate. 

I think you need to review the NY hunting regs my friend one can not shoot 3 bucks in NY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Daveboone said:

In NY, one guy can only legally kill 2 antlered bucks per year even if he buys a regular, bow, an ML priviledge.  The third tag is antlerless only.  Seems like a bunch of BS to me.   Also, I liked it a lot better when we could tag bucks with dmp's.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chef said:

I’m doing great and don’t get your tighty whities in a bunch I’m just messing with you

Have you tallied up the team totals for the regional showdown ?  I would guess that more than 3/4 of the harvest is in by this point.

I took a pile of does to the processor in Kennedy for the guys at camp. I pulled in and there are two DEC officers sitting in their truck at the curb. I thought this is going to be expensive, I have no notes from anyone regarding transfers. Well me and the guy at the processor dragged all of them in and they never even got out of the car lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chef said:

I think you need to review the NY hunting regs my friend one can not shoot 3 bucks in NY

When I bowhunted last....almost thirty years ago....you could absolutely get three bucks. (one bow, buck and rifle. At that time I in person clarified with a DEC officer, as the tags for bow and ML both listed either weapon....that you could legally use both tags for ML OR bow ! Probably one of the reason the regulations were changed. I never did. At that time DMP for a while were also buck or doe in a bunch of areas.  

I have no doubt that you are correct about current regulations. I havent had any reason to be concerned with the technicalities for multiple bucks in many years.

• Thanks 1