Tree Stand Vs. Portable Ground Blind

Hello all, I have never hunted public land before this season. Back in Texas deer hunting consisted of setting up in a prebuilt blind and watching a feeder. I see a lot of people talking about using a climbing tree stand, but this season (with no luck I might add) I have spent hunting on the ground mostly sitting up against trees. Is it worth investing in a lightweight climbing tree stand to hunt public land? Or would I be better off getting a portable ground blind? If anyone wants to give recommendations on fairly inexpensive ones I am all ears. 

This is totally a matter of preference. Some members here prefer hunting from the ground, while others like being up in a tree.

For me, public land gun hunting from a ground blind would make me uncomfortable. I like using a climber because I can quickly setup over fresh sign, and I can get up off the ground.

Whichever way you go, if you're on a budget, search the classifieds. I've scored deals on CL. The climber I'm using was bought for $10.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fr0styk1ng said:

Hello all, I have never hunted public land before this season. Back in Texas deer hunting consisted of setting up in a prebuilt blind and watching a feeder. I see a lot of people talking about using a climbing tree stand, but this season (with no luck I might add) I have spent hunting on the ground mostly sitting up against trees. Is it worth investing in a lightweight climbing tree stand to hunt public land? Or would I be better off getting a portable ground blind? If anyone wants to give recommendations on fairly inexpensive ones I am all ears. 

8 of the 12 doe I saw sunday were within bow range while standing against a tree. If you can down wind of them you can get away with quite a bit . Start with fresh sign ,heavily traveled paths and set up down wind of it ,obviously some cover would help but if you hunt hard you can be ready to shoot before they get to you .

• Like 1