Aging a deer jaw/tooth

Gencountyzeek

Just a quick question, ive never had a deer aged but the buck i shot sunday intrigues me enough that id like to know. I want to send the jaw out to be aged as accurately as possible. I thought i heard you could do this through the dec but cant find any info. Anyone ever send a lower jaw in to be aged? Whats the process? Thanks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Just a quick question, ive never had a deer aged but the buck i shot sunday intrigues me enough that id like to know. I want to send the jaw out to be aged as accurately as possible. I thought i heard you could do this through the dec but cant find any info. Anyone ever send a lower jaw in to be aged? Whats the process? Thanks.

I've taken lower jaws to the DEC in Buffalo numerous times.  Although they are very gracious in giving their time, I don't have the much faith in the age estimates they give me.  For the archery buck I killed 10/31 I decided to use deerage.com

Last week I sent in the lower front two teeth to them in the special mailer they sent me.  80+ days from now we should have a legit estimate to his age.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I've taken lower jaws to the DEC in Buffalo numerous times.  Although they are very gracious in giving their time, I don't have the much faith in the age estimates they give me.  For the archery buck I killed 10/31 I decided to use deerage.com

Last week I sent in the lower front two teeth to them in the special mailer they sent me.  80+ days from now we should have a legit estimate to his age.

I agree, i killed a buck i knew was at least 7.5 or 8.5  i killed it in 2000 and had sheds going back to 93. At that time it was a big buck , guy told me.3.5 and i pulled out shed from 94 and he said oh you found his shed last year i said no that was spring of 94.. he looked confused. I took tooth to friend at museum who thin section it and count rings like they do for bear and he came up with 8.5