Buck Fight

Pygmy

I sat in my tower blind over my winter wheat field  this afternoon....

Not much happening until about 3:40, when Marvin, one of my pet spike bucks, came into the field...Marvin was followed by a small  but lively 6 point...

About that time some does showed on the far end of the plot and the 6 point trotted out toward them...There was some chasing and mingling, and then a bigger buck showed up.. I was just getting set up for about a 225 yard shot when the bigger buck took off for the other end of the field...I though he was chasing the 6 point off, but then he appeared on the far end of the field squaring off with another big buck, who appeared the same size..

They proceeded to go at it, and they were not just sparring..They were on the ground several times...They were 330 yards from me, which is a doable shot under ideal conditions, but they were moving constantly and  light was fading quickly...

One finally ran away..Not sure which one was the winner....First time I have ever witnessed a REAL buck fight..Pretty cool...

I snuck out of my blind and hope I didn't alarm them....

• Like 15

Yeah Larry....Either one of those bucks looked like they could have been the one I missed Sunday, which I would estimate as  a 120-130 inch buck...  Nice to know there are some decent ones around...

I generally have no qualms about shooting the first legal buck I see, but this year I decided I'd like to spend more time in the stand rather than shooting the first spike or forkie I see...

I have seen at least two legal bucks within range each day so far..There are a pair of spikes I  am now on first name basis with..

I named them  Homer and Marvin after a couple of my barfly buddies from the Legion....Homer has two teeth and Marvin doesn't have any, so they average ONE between them...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I sat in my tower blind over my winter wheat field  this afternoon....

Not much happening until about 3:40, when Marvin, one of my pet spike bucks, came into the field...Marvin was followed by a small  but lively 6 point...

About that time some does showed on the far end of the plot and the 6 point trotted out toward them...There was some chasing and mingling, and then a bigger buck showed up.. I was just getting set up for about a 225 yard shot when the bigger buck took off for the other end of the field...I though he was chasing the 6 point off, but then he appeared on the far end of the field squaring off with another big buck, who appeared the same size..

They proceeded to go at it, and they were not just sparring..They were on the ground several times...They were 330 yards from me, which is a doable shot under ideal conditions, but they were moving constantly and  light was fading quickly...

One finally ran away..Not sure which one was the winner....First time I have ever witnessed a REAL buck fight..Pretty cool...

I snuck out of my blind and hope I didn't alarm them....

7 or 8 years  ago I was fortunate to see a similar battle during bow season..   it took place around 40 yards from me and it was epic!!!  2 studs...  The strength, violence and noise was unreal..   

i remember feeling incredibly lucky to have witnessed something like that..