What’s your thoughts on this plan ?

Nomad

Ok the main woods and thicket have been less then stellar this year . Now the “ gas well “ field is part open field and part thicket, I’ve bumped and seen deer exit the thicket and in the field a bit more then normal this year . Red= my truck , Green = box blind , Black line North  = main path in during the morning ( although they sometimes enter farther down ) , Black line East = runs into the winter wheat field .

My thoughts are to do an all day sit in the box blind, even though first light is where it’s at here as far as I know , but to be honest I’ve never sat there during the day or last light . My thinking ( hoping ? ) is a hot doe gets chased out, deer get pushed out of other spots and run to this cover ( this does happen and Sat may have guys out moving )  , other then that I don’t think they’re coming out during the day . We have pushed it successfully, but to early for that .

Its something I’ve never done , oh and I was given a decoy this year, would it be worth while sticking her out in the field ? 

4F0D56F2-02B4-4D98-812B-F7AB45A13A08.jpeg

Give it a try!  Decoys in gun always give me pause though. Even if private land you just never know.

But on places I hunt it seems to change year to year.  Where I hunt in 7F the middle of the property has yielded the most deer for us. But this year way more pics and action on each edge of property to E and W.  

• Like 1

Larry, good plan - The aerial tells me you likely have alot of wind-based bedding if the crops are not in play. The box blind is a good spot and good plan; I'd be more confident in morning and evening action there but certainly possible you get midday action if they feel safe in that interior field as their bedding is not far away.

One challenging piece is I think that drainage that runs N/S and then cuts through the woods presents alot of potential buck bedding on predominant winds. A few things to really look at would be that little island in the field. You might see alot from that spot - more risky but could pay off. Also, what and where are they crossing that drainage. I'd use that as a gauge to zero in on a guesstimate where the bedding would be in relation to that. Match that up with your entry points into triangular woods and you have "the spot" to pay attention to.

I really like that area around the island on a SW - bucks could be bedding in that corner/tip of the woods along the draining to see the field and scan for does and threats while the wind whips over their backs from the woods.

• Like 1

Thanks Brad. Here’s more info . 1= thicket in Gas Well field ,and the open spot is secluded in a way due to the North hedgerow , there’s a number of runs along the back into,it , I’ve had stands and cameras along the back by red lines and never saw much , which I found odd . There always in #1 and there’s runs . Last night they came out South into winter wheat .

2= The Double Buck field we shot back to back bucks there when it was a field now it’s the thickest spot around, just nasty , the big ones bed there often .

3= around a 20 acre thicket , some walkable , some thicker . They do cross out of Double buck South  walk a trail between the two a short ways then cut into #3 

if by island you mean the yellow circle , it’s an old pile of rocks and dirt that trees grew out of , I have an old ladder in there . You can’t see into anything (2&3. ) you may shoot to south side of #1 The North black  line of #3 is actually a brush hogged trail, a bit over grown  currently.

I may just sit in the hut and see what happens .

Thanks !

1976F86B-3E3F-48A0-A6E4-54660E5149BA.jpeg

Thanks Brad. Here’s more info . 1= thicket in Gas Well field ,and the open spot is secluded in a way due to the North hedgerow , there’s a number of runs along the back into,it , I’ve had stands and cameras along the back by red lines and never saw much , which I found odd . There always in #1 and there’s runs . Last night they came out South into winter wheat .
2= The Double Buck field we shot back to back bucks there when it was a field now it’s the thickest spot around, just nasty , the big ones bed there often .
3= around a 20 acre thicket , some walkable , some thicker . They do cross out of Double buck South  walk a trail between the two a short ways then cut into #3 
if by island you mean the yellow circle , it’s an old pile of rocks and dirt that trees grew out of , I have an old ladder in there . You can’t see into anything (2&3. ) you may shoot to south side of #1 The North black  line of #3 is actually a brush hogged trail, a bit over grown  currently.
I may just sit in the hut and see what happens .
Thanks !
1976F86B-3E3F-48A0-A6E4-54660E5149BA.thumb.jpeg.68ea8c1eab426f9ba3b3285e94e7e492.jpeg
Terrible plan. It'll never work

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

8 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Terrible plan. It'll never work

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Ok now I’m even more pleased with the thought to do it .

• Like 1