weird day yesterday

Engraver99

Didn't get out for bow except for last day saw momma and 2 little ones - passed em by. hunted opening day gun saw 3 does and 1 pretty good buck - no shots. Went out Sunday - walked out back door - 2 does in the yard under the apple trees. head to my stand shaking my head. Saw nothing while hunting. Come back - again 2 does in the yard. Monday rained all day. NOW Yesterday...worked in am and headed out to my stand about 1pm. Was still hunting my way up when i went around this pine tree and there in the opening was a dead 8 point deer with 1/2 its side skin blown off, innards intact. rolled him over, small bullet hole on entrance side. Called DEC and waited for them to come to file a report. They lopped the head off and gave me a tag so I could give the meat away to a guy i know thats out of work BUT the butcher said it was no good (Thought it was no good but gave it a try). Needless to say, the afternoon was shot and by the time DEC left it was about 10 after 4 - no hunting. In 40 years of hunting, I never came across a shot and left/lost deer. I'm guessing since no one really hunts by me (all private land) that one of our local road hunters/poacher shot it. the entrance wound was low, exit high meaning the deer was shot from downhill which would be the road most likely. Shame!

20201124_131048.jpg

• Sad 1

There was some  local guys here that were busted years ago for gut shooting bucks at night with a 22 mag . They would come back at day break and track the buck . Deerbwouldnt go far.. They would bed up and if not pushed they didn't go far   Not sure about that buck but a critter could have started eating on the exit hole . This was steuben county.

Edited by Nytracker

35 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Why does the DEC get too keep the head? 

Years ago I shot a buck that had a couple of grossly infected wounds. Called an ECO to get a replacement tag due to "unfit for consumption". I was told the DEC would take the dead deer away & I could not keep the rack. If I wanted the rack, no replacement would be issued. Eventually the ECO apparently didn't want to deal with loading, hauling and finding a disposal site for the deer, so he asked if I had a place to dispose of the body and he'd give me a replacement tag anyways. So the rule is; if a replacement tag is issued, you can not keep any part of the deer unless.......

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, nyslowhand said:

Years ago I shot a buck that had a couple of grossly infected wounds. Called an ECO to get a replacement tag due to "unfit for consumption". I was told the DEC would take the dead deer away & I could not keep the rack. If I wanted the rack, no replacement would be issued. Eventually the ECO apparently didn't want to deal with loading, hauling and finding a disposal site for the deer, so he asked if I had a place to dispose of the body and he'd give me a replacement tag anyways. So the rule is; if a replacement tag is issued, you can not keep any part of the deer unless.......

Then i guess we know not to call the DEC if we want to keep any of the deer we find laying in the woods dead . 

5 minutes ago, cdbing said:

Rather than think the worst, I am with Mowin, this might have been a poor shot by a well intentioned hunter, with little blood trail due to gut plugging the wound and the deer was not recovered.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

that very well could be also

2 hours ago, Engraver99 said:

it goes to the lab, gets aged, take brain samples, then goes in someone's office. i didn't care they took the head, i didn't shoot it. wasn't my trophy. I was more concerned about the meat going to waste...which it did anyway :(

If that picture is from the time when you found it i would have never thought for a second of eating that thing. 

• Like 1