Poacher in Wheeler, NY

JJNY

This morning around 9 am we found a buck laying in our Field about 75 yards off the road with a gunshot wound. The deer wasn’t stiff yet and had been shot recently. We called the DEC and they said it could likely be tomorrow before they could respond. We set up a Cam and got a pic of a truck pulling up and taking the deer around 11:40 am.  This location is near the intersection of Hemlock and Bauter Rd in Wheeler, NY. My blood is boiling right now, if anyone knows this POS, please let me know! Happy Thanksgiving SMH

4019201F-3344-4BD4-8D5C-1281DBA915A5.jpeg

D444C754-F516-4E3C-91DC-CE54C44641D5.jpeg

4721BA85-575D-4FD8-B7E3-25514A74A528.jpeg

C9175878-0581-4006-ADEE-B37E4F82929C.jpeg

2A3B9442-EEC9-477E-9191-97E4523D90D3.jpeg

6C4B0AA6-BB59-4A84-BC8F-5848AD31E0D2.jpeg

E3D38890-DAE9-4A3D-A311-C0C487762968.jpeg

11 minutes ago, JJNY said:

This morning around 9 am we found a buck laying in our Field about 75 yards off the road with a gunshot wound. The deer wasn’t stiff yet and had been shot recently. We called the DEC and they said it could likely be tomorrow before they could respond. We set up a Cam and got a pic of a truck pulling up and taking the deer around 11:40 am.  This location is near the intersection of Hemlock and Bauter Rd in Wheeler, NY. My blood is boiling right now, if anyone knows this POS, please let me know! Happy Thanksgiving SMH

4019201F-3344-4BD4-8D5C-1281DBA915A5.jpeg

D444C754-F516-4E3C-91DC-CE54C44641D5.jpeg

4721BA85-575D-4FD8-B7E3-25514A74A528.jpeg

C9175878-0581-4006-ADEE-B37E4F82929C.jpeg

2A3B9442-EEC9-477E-9191-97E4523D90D3.jpeg

6C4B0AA6-BB59-4A84-BC8F-5848AD31E0D2.jpeg

E3D38890-DAE9-4A3D-A311-C0C487762968.jpeg

Facebook the shit out of it!!

• Like 1

The guy in the truck may not be the same guy that shot that deer not sure you could get him for that maybe only trespassing or some other law about taking dead deer on the side of a road if there is such a law.
You aren't allowed to possess deer without a permit/tag/police tag etc... I do agree though that the OP shouldn't jump to conclusions, dead bucks don't last long on the side of the road. People see a dead deer and want the rack. And I'd assume if they were the shooter, they wouldn't come back in broad daylight to get it but you never know.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I wanted to Thank everyone who responded/reached out! Between this forum and social media the responses were more than I expected.

We received several great tips and the DEC is investigating.

I wanted to clarify a few things since I didn't write a novel on my original post...

1. There is a long history of poaching/shooting at night on this property and our neighbors.

2. We contacted as many of the neighboring land owners within 500 yards of this deer to see who may have been on the trail of one. Based on the shot placement and clump of hair where the deer lay, we are certain this deer did not travel far (if any) distance.

3. We spent 30 minutes doing circles out to 100 yards in an open field between 4 guys to locate blood, none found.

4. We would NEVER deny someone permission to track/retrieve a deer, never understood why someone would do that.

5. We weren't Hunting this day so, none of us had a Buck Tag on us when we left the house in a hurry after we were notified of the scenario. After over two hours on the scene, we decided to run back to the house to get a Tag so we could Tag the deer. The DEC indicated it would be 24 hours or more before they could respond, ended up being around 52 hours later. We were going to have one of the guys stay and watch while we ran back to the house but, the rain let loose and we were not dressed for it. We decided to throw up a cell Cam while we ran back to the house not thinking they would actually come back in the daylight. As soon as we got back to the house, we received the pics of the truck entering the Field. 

6. This was Thanksgiving and we had other obligations that we had to consider instead of a covert operation LOL

I know hindsight is always 20/20 but, we tried to think this through as much as possible in the moment. Would we have done some things different, absolutely. Hopefully we learn from this in case it happens again but, most importantly, we hope we can deter this type of illegal activity. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JJNY said:

I wanted to Thank everyone who responded/reached out! Between this forum and social media the responses were more than I expected.

We received several great tips and the DEC is investigating.

I wanted to clarify a few things since I didn't write a novel on my original post...

1. There is a long history of poaching/shooting at night on this property and our neighbors.

2. We contacted as many of the neighboring land owners within 500 yards of this deer to see who may have been on the trail of one. Based on the shot placement and clump of hair where the deer lay, we are certain this deer did not travel far (if any) distance.

3. We spent 30 minutes doing circles out to 100 yards in an open field between 4 guys to locate blood, none found.

4. We would NEVER deny someone permission to track/retrieve a deer, never understood why someone would do that.

5. We weren't Hunting this day so, none of us had a Buck Tag on us when we left the house in a hurry after we were notified of the scenario. After over two hours on the scene, we decided to run back to the house to get a Tag so we could Tag the deer. The DEC indicated it would be 24 hours or more before they could respond, ended up being around 52 hours later. We were going to have one of the guys stay and watch while we ran back to the house but, the rain let loose and we were not dressed for it. We decided to throw up a cell Cam while we ran back to the house not thinking they would actually come back in the daylight. As soon as we got back to the house, we received the pics of the truck entering the Field. 

6. This was Thanksgiving and we had other obligations that we had to consider instead of a covert operation LOL

I know hindsight is always 20/20 but, we tried to think this through as much as possible in the moment. Would we have done some things different, absolutely. Hopefully we learn from this in case it happens again but, most importantly, we hope we can deter this type of illegal activity. 

Thanks for the update. 

Ya, easy to give advice on the internet on what we would do, but fully understand we don't know all the circumstances. 

Hopefully DEC can nail the scumbags.  

DEC and forest rangers are spread about as thin as they can be. I have been trying to get them to check  on some things that need their attention only to find out there are only two of them covering all of region 8. It is no wonder laws are getting abused and I am pretty sure based on some of my observations the word is out OR people just don't care.

• Like 1