Where are the Deer ?

Northcountryman

I seen 4 different deer yesterday, different times, and all different spots. They were all alone and moving from one spot to another, not browsing.

Had my 3 year old grandson with me for the last one so that was cool.

The deer I seen were no longer in the fields but in the pines on hill sides. Maybe cause of the rain.

7 hours ago, Nomad said:

Once gun starts you have to hunt up close to the houses , I’m kidding but that’s also true.

No , I think you’re right ; they know those houses/ property that are sanctuaries and the state land and other private areas that are hunted , no doubt . 

Check out this pic  taken at 10 am about 2 miles from our camp on private property 

image.thumb.jpeg.fd1f04e170027f1db71c203737ccc872.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

No , I think you’re right ; they know those houses/ property that are sanctuaries and the state land and other private areas that are hunted , no doubt . 

Check out this pic  taken at 10 am about 2 miles from our camp on private property 

Not all of them like to stay close to the houses.  This little 3-point just stepped out to say hello, just about as far as you can get from any house on this block.  If only some of his hornless relatives would do likewise.  Unfortunately, those are few and far between in this area, where the local farmers hit them hard, prior to October 1 on their nuisance permits.

He posed nicely in a shooting lane for a 15 yard broadside camera phone shot:

20201127_153311.jpg

Edited by wolc123

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Not all of them like to stay close to the houses.  This little 3-point just stepped out to say hello, just about as far as you can get from any house on this block.  If only some of his hornless relatives would do likewise.  Unfortunately, those are few and far between in this area, where the local farmers hit them hard, prior to October 1 on their nuisance permits.

He posed nicely in a shooting lane for a 15 yard broadside camera phone shot:

20201127_153311.jpg

Cool Bud , what region do you hunt ? 

1 minute ago, Northcountryman said:

Cool Bud , what region do you hunt ? 

Our place is on the NW corner of wmu 9f.  I stayed up in that stand until 4:42 (last legal light), and saw another deer in the middle of the back field on the walk out.

My parents place is on the SE corner of the same wmu and that's where I will be tomorrow.  That is also where I killed my 6-point on opening day morning.  They have been seeing a couple of deer come out and feed, about a half hour before sunset, almost every evening since then.

I am thinking they may be a doe and fawn that I saw ahead of my buck on Saturday.  I am going to sit in the same stand, deep in the woods, where I saw all three on opening day morning.  Then I am going to clear a bunch of blowdowns that are blocking the trails in the woods with my chainsaw.

Hopefully, that won't prevent the doe and fawn from doing their usual evening feed, where I will be waiting for them in my field edge stand.

What area are you in ?

13 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Oh ok , should be good deer population there right ? 

Bucks yes, does no.  I typically see 4 antleted deer per each antlerless on both local spots where I hunt (NW, & SE corners of wmu 9f).  That makes it tough to punch dmp's (which even non residents can probably get (4) of), but relatively easy to punch buck tags.

The reason for this "backwards" ratio, is that local farmers hit the antlerless deer real hard with their nuisance permits prior to October 1st.  Those that survive past that date are extremely elusive.