mowin

Tires...

Recommended Posts

Time for new tires before plowing season.  Only 20k on the stock Goodyear's and they are just about slicks. 

Not sure what I'm going to get, but wow have prices gone up.   Looking at falkin wildpeak or Goodyear duratrac. 

And other recommendations for a good plowing tire? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run archiles desert hawk xmt on my new dodge they are very good in snow and mud although a bit pricey but I run 35x12.50x20s they are about 190 a tire for my size but they last awhile 

Edited by silent death

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, silent death said:

I run archiles desert hawk xmt on my new dodge they are very good in snow and mud although a bit pricey but I run 35x12.50x20s they are about 190 a tire for my size but they last awhile 

Have you looked at prices lately?  I can't find a good M&S for under $225 and that's a 18”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally it cost me a little over 1000$ just to change tires after 15000 miles or so. You can get 18s for cheap my wifes varacruz runs 18s she spent like 85$ on amazon per tire ..if you go to a tire place and buy them u are getting ripped my truck tires I can get for 190 if I go to mavis they sell them for 240 or 250... check on amazon for your tire size....I did a quick google search and u can get 4 18s for 500$

Screenshot_20201128-094120_Chrome.jpg

Edited by silent death

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't beat the duratracs IMO. I have had a few sets. Do what they are supposed to and last longer than any other tire I've owned and that is a long list.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If possible a dedicated snow tire is ideal. I've plowed with different truck and tire combinations and blizzaks were amazing....it's like a turf tire vs ag  When used seasonally they will last for years. Even a good all season is better than a mud tires.

Mud tires and snow tires are designed oppositely. Snow tires hold snow in the tread and sipes, mud tires(are supposed) clean out. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Modern hillbilly said:

If possible a dedicated snow tire is ideal. I've plowed with different truck and tire combinations and blizzaks were amazing....it's like a turf tire vs ag  When used seasonally they will last for years. Even a good all season is better than a mud tires.

Mud tires and snow tires are designed oppositely. Snow tires hold snow in the tread and sipes, mud tires(are supposed) clean out. 

 

Never had a issue with my xmt tires even in deep snow they are not a normal mud tire eathier ..these tires are over a year old and getting ready to come off for new ones before the snow really starts to hit..

 

20201128_104033.jpg

Edited by silent death

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silent death said:

Generally it cost me a little over 1000$ just to change tires after 15000 miles or so. You can get 18s for cheap my wifes varacruz runs 18s she spent like 85$ on amazon per tire ..if you go to a tire place and buy them u are getting ripped my truck tires I can get for 190 if I go to mavis they sell them for 240 or 250... check on amazon for your tire size....I did a quick google search and u can get 4 18s for 500$

Screenshot_20201128-094120_Chrome.jpg

I'll look into them.  I need 10ply, so that adds to the cost.  

 

What are you running them on? If you only getting 15k out of them, my concern is I may get less as they would be going on a F-350. 

Edited by mowin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mowin said:

I'll look into them.  I need 10ply, so that adds to the cost.  

 

What are you running them on? If you only getting 15k out of them, my concern is I may get less as they would be going on a F-350. 

2015 dodge ram 2500hd with the 6.4 with the offroad package and lift kit with aftermarket bumpers and 16.5 ti warn winch. Truck weighed 7000# before the offroad package installed at the dealer so It probebly weights closer to 8000 now...it gets more than 15000 miles per set of tires I just change them out at that. these tires are 10ply 

20201128_111258.jpg

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had great luck with Goodyear Wrangler Authority sold at Walmart. Plowing snow , mud or highway.Wrangler Authority<sup>™</sup> A/T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silent death said:

2015 dodge ram 2500hd with the 6.4 with the offroad package and lift kit with aftermarket bumpers and 16.5 ti warn winch. Truck weighed 7000# before the offroad package installed at the dealer so It probebly weights closer to 8000 now...it gets more than 15000 miles per set of tires I just change them out at that. these tires are 10ply 

20201128_111258.jpg

Had two 3500 Rams. A '14 and a 17.   Liked them alot. 

Looked at the '19's and just couldn't pull the trigger because it just wouldn't seem like a new truck as nothing changed.  Wish I would have. Not happy at all with the Ford. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mowin said:

Had two 3500 Rams. A '14 and a 17.   Liked them alot. 

Looked at the '19's and just couldn't pull the trigger because it just wouldn't seem like a new truck as nothing changed.  Wish I would have. Not happy at all with the Ford. 

Love mine things a tank in the snow .paid a little extra for the 6.4 and the offroad package along with the tow package but well worth it

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, silent death said:

Love mine things a tank in the snow 

Definitely did well plowing. Managed to get em stuck at least once a yr thought, lol.

Loved the 6.4.  great motor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put Wildpeaks on an old SUV in June. Like them a lot - great traction and reasonable quiet on the road.

Unfortunately, the transmission started slipping on the vehicle and it's definitely not a candidate for a rebuild, so I guess I won't have them for long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always had good luck with pep boys mid level tire ,it was always just a rebrand cooper tire , wide tires suck in the snow too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had 4 new Cooper Starfire All season tires put on my truck 2 weeks ago.  Love having new tires. Plan on new Brakes in the spring and should be good to go for a while.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Just had 4 new Cooper Starfire All season tires put on my truck 2 weeks ago.  Love having new tires. Plan on new Brakes in the spring and should be good to go for a while.  

I've run those on my Rams before.  Not a bad tire. Only got 20k out of them though, but in fairness, nothing I've run has gotten much better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mowin i had cooper starfires on my truck for last 3 years I got 48k miles out of them. Mostly short commutes to work and clients.  I was actually surprised at how well they hold up so I got them again hopefully they last like the last set did fingers crossed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lomax said:

@mowin i had cooper starfires on my truck for last 3 years I got 48k miles out of them. Mostly short commutes to work and clients.  I was actually surprised at how well they hold up so I got them again hopefully they last like the last set did fingers crossed 

I do a lot of towing. Mowers, equipment ECT. That and a 7,000 lb+ truck is definitely not helpful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yupper towing heavy stuff eats up tires and brakes.  I don’t miss towing my camper or boat I sold... it may have saved my truck.  plowing and towing equipment are hard on a vehicles tires so 20k lies isn’t too bad 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2020 at 6:29 PM, Lomax said:

Just had 4 new Cooper Starfire All season tires put on my truck 2 weeks ago.  Love having new tires. Plan on new Brakes in the spring and should be good to go for a while.  

Just took them off . Rotated every 3000 miles with  oil changes on my 1/2  ton ford. 24 k  and 23 months they are done . Just put on  duler revos  light truck . Had them on dodge and they wore like iron  got 60k plus on them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.