Tires...

mowin

Time for new tires before plowing season.  Only 20k on the stock Goodyear's and they are just about slicks. 

Not sure what I'm going to get, but wow have prices gone up.   Looking at falkin wildpeak or Goodyear duratrac. 

And other recommendations for a good plowing tire? 

16 minutes ago, silent death said:

I run archiles desert hawk xmt on my new dodge they are very good in snow and mud although a bit pricey but I run 35x12.50x20s they are about 190 a tire for my size but they last awhile 

Have you looked at prices lately?  I can't find a good M&S for under $225 and that's a 18”. 

Generally it cost me a little over 1000$ just to change tires after 15000 miles or so. You can get 18s for cheap my wifes varacruz runs 18s she spent like 85$ on amazon per tire ..if you go to a tire place and buy them u are getting ripped my truck tires I can get for 190 if I go to mavis they sell them for 240 or 250... check on amazon for your tire size....I did a quick google search and u can get 4 18s for 500$

Screenshot_20201128-094120_Chrome.jpg

Edited by silent death

If possible a dedicated snow tire is ideal. I've plowed with different truck and tire combinations and blizzaks were amazing....it's like a turf tire vs ag  When used seasonally they will last for years. Even a good all season is better than a mud tires.

Mud tires and snow tires are designed oppositely. Snow tires hold snow in the tread and sipes, mud tires(are supposed) clean out. 

18 minutes ago, Modern hillbilly said:

If possible a dedicated snow tire is ideal. I've plowed with different truck and tire combinations and blizzaks were amazing....it's like a turf tire vs ag  When used seasonally they will last for years. Even a good all season is better than a mud tires.

Mud tires and snow tires are designed oppositely. Snow tires hold snow in the tread and sipes, mud tires(are supposed) clean out. 

Never had a issue with my xmt tires even in deep snow they are not a normal mud tire eathier ..these tires are over a year old and getting ready to come off for new ones before the snow really starts to hit..

20201128_104033.jpg

Edited by silent death

1 hour ago, silent death said:

Generally it cost me a little over 1000$ just to change tires after 15000 miles or so. You can get 18s for cheap my wifes varacruz runs 18s she spent like 85$ on amazon per tire ..if you go to a tire place and buy them u are getting ripped my truck tires I can get for 190 if I go to mavis they sell them for 240 or 250... check on amazon for your tire size....I did a quick google search and u can get 4 18s for 500$

Screenshot_20201128-094120_Chrome.jpg

I'll look into them.  I need 10ply, so that adds to the cost.  

What are you running them on? If you only getting 15k out of them, my concern is I may get less as they would be going on a F-350. 

Edited by mowin

36 minutes ago, mowin said:

I'll look into them.  I need 10ply, so that adds to the cost.  

What are you running them on? If you only getting 15k out of them, my concern is I may get less as they would be going on a F-350. 

2015 dodge ram 2500hd with the 6.4 with the offroad package and lift kit with aftermarket bumpers and 16.5 ti warn winch. Truck weighed 7000# before the offroad package installed at the dealer so It probebly weights closer to 8000 now...it gets more than 15000 miles per set of tires I just change them out at that. these tires are 10ply 

20201128_111258.jpg

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, silent death said:

2015 dodge ram 2500hd with the 6.4 with the offroad package and lift kit with aftermarket bumpers and 16.5 ti warn winch. Truck weighed 7000# before the offroad package installed at the dealer so It probebly weights closer to 8000 now...it gets more than 15000 miles per set of tires I just change them out at that. these tires are 10ply 

20201128_111258.jpg

Had two 3500 Rams. A '14 and a 17.   Liked them alot. 

Looked at the '19's and just couldn't pull the trigger because it just wouldn't seem like a new truck as nothing changed.  Wish I would have. Not happy at all with the Ford. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mowin said:

Had two 3500 Rams. A '14 and a 17.   Liked them alot. 

Looked at the '19's and just couldn't pull the trigger because it just wouldn't seem like a new truck as nothing changed.  Wish I would have. Not happy at all with the Ford. 

Love mine things a tank in the snow .paid a little extra for the 6.4 and the offroad package along with the tow package but well worth it

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Just had 4 new Cooper Starfire All season tires put on my truck 2 weeks ago.  Love having new tires. Plan on new Brakes in the spring and should be good to go for a while.  

I've run those on my Rams before.  Not a bad tire. Only got 20k out of them though, but in fairness, nothing I've run has gotten much better. 

@mowin i had cooper starfires on my truck for last 3 years I got 48k miles out of them. Mostly short commutes to work and clients.  I was actually surprised at how well they hold up so I got them again hopefully they last like the last set did fingers crossed 

Just now, Lomax said:

@mowin i had cooper starfires on my truck for last 3 years I got 48k miles out of them. Mostly short commutes to work and clients.  I was actually surprised at how well they hold up so I got them again hopefully they last like the last set did fingers crossed 

I do a lot of towing. Mowers, equipment ECT. That and a 7,000 lb+ truck is definitely not helpful. 

On 11/28/2020 at 6:29 PM, Lomax said:

Just had 4 new Cooper Starfire All season tires put on my truck 2 weeks ago.  Love having new tires. Plan on new Brakes in the spring and should be good to go for a while.  

Just took them off . Rotated every 3000 miles with  oil changes on my 1/2  ton ford. 24 k  and 23 months they are done . Just put on  duler revos  light truck . Had them on dodge and they wore like iron  got 60k plus on them.