Take orange off in stand ?

luberhill

I never take it off during firearms season. I believe in the saying "Be Safe Be Seen." I do not believe that blaze orange in any way scares off deer as they are esentially color blind.        valoroutdoors.com 

Edited by CharlieNY
Add
  • Like 4

I believe from personal experience that what the deer biologists say is true.  Deer do not seem to be bothered by hunter orange because they don't see it like we do.  Apparently they see the color blue fairly well.  I also believe the statistics that the DEC reports: You are 7 times less likely to be shot if you are wearing hunter orange.  For the life of me in this state where they mandate everything I can't understand why it is not required that you wear hunter orange during gun season.  Yes, I wear it in my stands.  It makes it easier for the trespassers (who don't wear it of course) to avoid me.  Probably just as well.

• Like 1

I joined the orange army 38 years ago...if it makes me safer because I am seen better by others with a gun who might not know I am there then I buy in.   Just makes sense and I don’t care if a deer sees my orange or not cause they aren’t shooting back.  This is a one sided war and orange decreases friendly fire. 

• Like 4

I wear an orange hat while walking during gun and ML seasons, but I switch it with a camo when I am up in a tree.  I hunt mostly flat land, so I feel pretty safe if I am just a few feet above ground level.  Most of my stands are 6-8 ft high.

This one has produced for me on the last three opening days of gun season, but no luck today.

20201128_141822.jpg

Edited by wolc123

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

I hunt private land 100% of the time and have an orange vest on during the Gun season 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill 2nd this.always have my vest and hat on.knowing the neighbors hunt aswell i like that safety feeling.also sometimes i like to get down and take a slow walk before ending the hunt.dont need slugs whizzing by my head!

I usually only see another neighbour who hunts with any regularity but this nice weather has brought a ton of guys onto my road.

A few of these are the “own five, hunt 500” types. They know to stay off my property but you can’t be too sure, so it’s orange at all times in gun/ml season at my place. 

Private posted land , same as all the neighbors  , 100’s of acres of crops in between . I sometimes take it off . One where I don’t wish the houses across the road to see where I am . Other times so I can observe what the hunters on the farm south of me do ,if they don’t see orange on my side ..

Haven’t seen a person or boot track on my spot in years upon years . Zero concerns . 

During the gun season? Orange vest is always on when I hunt public land. Most of the time so is an orange cap over a winter hat. Even if I'm wearing my read plaid jacket in warmer temps, the orange vest is still on.

I also hang an orange hat somewhere near me during the bow season because I hunt from the ground.

The only private land I hunt on I don't wear orange.

I only hunt private land and never see another hunter on it.  I keep an orange knit hat in the backpack if I think I need to be seen for some reason, but hardly ever put it on.

Never understood why hunters need it if people are supposed to be sure of their target before pulling the trigger.  I wore it more in my younger days, but it never seemed to keep jerks from shooting in my direction.

I believe deer do see it, especially when they are close.  Just not as well as we do.  That's why archers wear camo.