Take orange off in stand ?

luberhill

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

I only hunt private land and never see another hunter on it.  I keep an orange knit hat in the backpack if I think I need to be seen for some reason, but hardly ever put it on.

Never understood why hunters need it if people are supposed to be sure of their target before pulling the trigger.  I wore it more in my younger days, but it never seemed to keep jerks from shooting in my direction.

I believe deer do see it, especially when they are close.  Just not as well as we do.  That's why archers wear camo.

I don't think deer can see it, but I am certain that turkeys can.   I do know, from first hand experiences, that at least one cagey old buck would intentionally hang with turkeys whenever he could.  Had I been attired in blaze orange, up in my tree stand on the day he approached with his flock of "pawns", I never would have seen any of them.

To me, that alone is reason to take it off up in the tree, besides the fact that is well above anyone's line of fire on the flatlands where in hunt.  In a hilly areas, especially where rifles are legal, it makes more sense to leave it on in a tree.

Even on flat private lands, where I rarely see other hunters, I make it a point to always switch to my blaze orange hat when I am not up in the tree.  I don't always get it on straight, if i need to get down in a hurry.

There is always going to be "jerks" , like you refer to, who will shoot in your direction, even if you are head to toe blaze-orange.   I felt the pressure wave of a slug against my face one time, when the "hunter", in the next hedgerow unloaded his autoloader on a deer half way between us.  I had an orange vest and hat on that day, but it didn't help me a bit.  After feeling the first shot before I heard it (a memorable experience), I hit the dirt and dirt started hitting me in the face as the other 4 slugs landed nearby.

The problem there, is that some folks get blinded by the brown and forget about the "what is beyond" part. That dude could not use  "cover" as an excuse, because I was standing in a flat, cut hayfield.  From that point on in my hunting career, I rely a lot more on elevation than blaze orange, for safety.  No more deer drives for this guy.

20201129_061554.jpg

Edited by wolc123

18 hours ago, CharlieNY said:

I never take it off during firearms season. I believe in the saying "Be Safe Be Seen." I do not believe that blaze orange in any way scares off deer as they are esentially color blind.        valoroutdoors.com 

I agree ; I do , how ever, take my coat off it’s warm while IN stand but NEVER TAKE OFF ORANGE WHEN STILL HUNTING . I don’t care if it’s public or private , not a good idea!! 

18 minutes ago, left field said:

Notice in this video the blaze orange fletching on the arrows in "deer vision" in the close up photo near the end (2.54 mark).  See how bright they are compared to the rest of the picture?  That is how deer see blaze orange.  It appears to them to be much lighter compared to the rest of the back round and it stands out.  They do notice it, especially if it moves.  It certainly cannot be said to help conceal your form when wearing it.

Edited by Grouse

I have to wonder from my experience is reflective of certain materials and color.  Such as the fletching  on plastic vaines appear brighter. Kind of like the uv whitners put in detergents . The other thing I have noticed is  colors of gray tends to  have alot of blue in its pigment.  I had an old fabric  blind I made of pvc and  camo fabric.  It sun faded over a couple of years and  all the grays in the twig patterns turned blue . I  do wash my clothes in uv blocker soap . And spray it down . I'm careful to wash my clothes after scrubbing washer and dryer  hang outdoors . Store in totes .

Back in the 80s I use to hunt in military bdu. Never had an issue being seen until movement was detected. Late 80s and early 90s they started adding brightener to detergents . Then I started getting picked off more often . Just after that we started hunting tree stands . Then deer started looking up after a few years. Deer adapt. 

I'm not saying this is all factual  but it is my observation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

I only hunt private land and never see another hunter on it.  I keep an orange knit hat in the backpack if I think I need to be seen for some reason, but hardly ever put it on.

Never understood why hunters need it if people are supposed to be sure of their target before pulling the trigger.  I wore it more in my younger days, but it never seemed to keep jerks from shooting in my direction.

I believe deer do see it, especially when they are close.  Just not as well as we do.  That's why archers wear camo.

I have videos from opening day of deer walking past me while on the ground at 15 yards ,none of them even looked at me .They don't see it or i would have been busted.