For those that hunt with an AR...

I have an AR mag lock on mine, but I plan to pin the mag before I hunt with it. For those of you that pin it, has anyone been stopped while hunting and how did it go? I spoke to a local gun shop and he said that just pinning the mag isn’t good enough and it somehow needs to be permanent so that if you were to remove the mag, it would destroy the lower. I really can’t see this being the case. I would think pinning it and putting some epoxy on the pin would be good enough. So who has been stopped?

Edited by NonTypical

38 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Never been stopped but when a gunsmith pins the mag to make it legal, they usually epoxy over the screw head.  I am sure you will be fine. 

That is what I’m planning on doing. Just wondering if anyone has had any encounters with any law enforcement while using a pinned mag, or an AR Maglock. 

Edited by NonTypical

On 11/28/2020 at 7:35 PM, moog5050 said:

Never been stopped but when a gunsmith pins the mag to make it legal, they usually epoxy over the screw head.  I am sure you will be fine. 

this is how mine is. epoxied.

and man did I learn what a safety nightmare this makes for the owner in the event of a double feed. Thanks NY, you've made the world a safer place. I really would have preferred the system they have in Cali... can't believe I'm saying that lol.

• Like 1

I carried mine once or twice.  I have a Mean Arms Mag lock on mine, once you tighten it down the screw shears off and unless you do some drilling, it won’t come out.  Using a 10 round Pmag, you can add a 5 round limiter by removing the floor plate and adding the limiter.  Then remove it for after season.

• Like 1

As mentioned above, I also use a mean ma mag lock, takes 2 minutes to install. I just fixed a 5 round in my deer AR because that's it's dedicated use. I don't see how any LE could consider that mag not "fixed." You literally have to EZ out the maglock or screw extractor it. The chances of being stopped and that becoming an issue are slim to none I'd guess.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 6:15 AM, Grouse said:

I sometimes hunt with an M1 Carbine and a 5 round magazine.  Nothing is pinned or locked in place.  Does this law apply to my rifle?

Why do you need 5 rounds to hunt deer ?  FUAC, FUAC, FUAC !!! 

If it doesn't have a bayonet lug, threaded barrel or pistol grip, your good to go with the M1 carbine.

On 12/1/2020 at 10:27 AM, Grouse said:

Other than the detachable magazine, no other "evil features".  No bayonet lug as it is a commercial model.

I remember  seeing someone  deer hunting with a sks one time on state land  this was 25 years ago before the safe act.

maybe off topic but was that guys gun even legal for deer back then? looked like it was all stock gun no mods on it  I didn't ask  him if it was . sks stock are 10 round none detachable mags .  can you just stick a  plug in the mag of something like that  so it only takes 5 and make it legal for hunting ?  or did the guy have to do something more  permanent to that gun?