More deer taken morning or afternoon

luberhill

I’ll be honest, I love hunting the morning, there’s something about getting up before everyone else, listening to old country music on the drive in, sneaking in in the dark and watching everything kind of come to life. I know that’s corny, but it’s true. 
However, I have taken far more deer on afternoon excursions. 

• Like 9

I’ll be honest, I love hunting the morning, there’s something about getting up before everyone else, listening to old country music on the drive in, sneaking in in the dark and watching everything kind of come to life. I know that’s corny, but it’s true. 

I'm addicted to being there in the morning for the same reasons (minus the country music lol). Even today I was contemplating sleeping in and hunting later but I just can't do it. I've always seen more deer in the evenings but killed more in the mornings. I tend to hunt field edges in the evening and see deer out of range or after shooting light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I love going out in the morning. Watching the sunrise and listening to the woods wake up is hard to beat. That said, I usually intend to return for the afternoon but my couch is so comfy, I typically wake up too late lol. Because of this, I have never taken a deer in the afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bow season I have killed most of my bucks in the AM.  But gun season I have killed all my bucks in the PM.   Now maybe that’s partly a self fulfilling prophesy as I hunt less mornings after opening day.   But I tend to think that afternoon is better for bucks in gun.  Does are a toss up.   

After the first 3 or 4 days believe early season afternoon hunts are better than morning hunts.  Around October 18 to the 20th morning hunts become as productive as the afternoon hunts. From there on out until about this week or next morning and afternoon’s are equally productive in my mind.  
By late next week I believe that it shifts back to afternoon hunts. late rifle muzzle loading our prime times to take a big shooter in the afternoons as they turn their attention back to food and if you have food plots and it’s cold you’re likely going to draw some deer you haven’t seen as the pressure drops in my opinion this is one of my favorite times of the year to hunt now. But pretty much afternoons only sunny cold blue sky afternoons in ground blinds overlooking food plots will improve your odds
I also think the first few days of bow season can be magical if you can find a shooter before the season starts and put a good plan together on nailing him. 

BTW all of the above really doesn’t matter if you only have limited times to hunt So go when you able or when friends and family go to 

I'm lazy.  Afternoon hunts have produced most of the bigger bucks. Only exception is opening day of rifle. Lots of great bucks takin over the yrs. 
×2. I seldom hunt AM.

However, I like seeing the sunrise and the woods going from black to shades of grey to color. Usually, followed by the realization that there are all sort of twigs and crap obstructing my shooting lanes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Splitear said:

Same here , I’m a morning guy through and through , and , I just love slipping in when it’s dark , enjoy the peace and stillness around me , watch the sunrise, etc. I don’t know if morning is any more or less productive than afternoon but , much more enjoyable for me

• Like 1

It's about 50/50 for me as far as kills I hunt the timber in the morning and the field edges in the afternoon. I hate getting up I am NOT a morning person but once I drag myself out of bed and get out there it all seems to be worth it. Like the others have said there's just something about watching the woods wake up.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My kills are probably about 2/3 mornings, 1/3 afternoons. Much rather kill them in the am-no rush to get them out of the woods, no skinning at 7:oopm or later, etc.

Today was about perfect for me. Got up at 4:30am, plenty of time to get things organized and have a little breakfast, drove 25 minutes to my cousin's farm in Pennsylvania, walked slowly 250 yards to my stand (it's steep, and I avoid breaking any sweat). Settled in with gear situated and having a cup of coffee by 6:06am. 8:31am shot a nice bodied adult doe (I get DMAP tags, so it's legal), dressed it, got it to the truck, went back and hunted until 11:00am, took it back to their barn, skinned, quartered, put meat in the cooler and came home, took a nap and now am typing this.  The only better day would have been if it was a big buck!

• Like 2

I guess I like mornings better, although I seldom kill any at first light or last light in the afternoon .

My favorite sunrises ,though were what we called a Scio st sunrise , where you watch the sun come up through the burned out attic roof , wet ,cold ,hungry with black snot running down your face . But I’m a romantic.