Lease property

Cory

How many of you guys lease property while owning property? I own 94 acres that borders state land. After opening day of gun you are very hard pressed to see a deer. I’ve been thinking of looking into seeing if any lease property is available close to me. I know and talk to a couple guys who lease a 1000 acre parcel near me and these guys just see heard after heard. I think it’s time to make a move. Any sites you guys go on to search properties? I know it’s to late this year but I want to be ready if I make the move next year!

I lease but this year was a giant disappointment. Put a lot of time and money into that place and just didn’t get the deer activity we did in years past . I found out this year more than ever that you need 2 or 4 different properties to hunt just incase this happens again . 

• Like 2

In low pressure states I often feel like you would be better off with 10 fifty acres properties that one 500 acre property. In NY with that insane amount of pressure it receives I am not so sure though.  I agree with the above that it pays to have a few properties in reserve . 

15 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Sell me your land and then go in on a lease.

why do u think u stop seeing deer ?

The pressure of state land hunters. It’s amazing when you just drive 1/4 mile up the road the amount of deer you see opposed to what we see. Don’t get me wrong bow up until the second day of gun season you see lots of deer . 

94 acres with proper habitat management and hunting it properly ( wisely) you would be able to take deer off it every year. . Habitat and entrance exit to stands is very important. Most inportantnby far is creating a sanctuary on that property as thick and nasty as possibly and then stay out of it except in late winter when you can do maintenance work an shed hunt. 25 acres out of 90 would be so effective.  Its not about food plots in ny its about cover. Especially undisturbed cover.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, G-Man said:

94 acres with proper habitat management and hunting it properly ( wisely) you would be able to take deer off it every year. . Habitat and entrance exit to stands is very important. Most inportantnby far is creating a sanctuary on that property as thick and nasty as possibly and then stay out of it except in late winter when you can do maintenance work an shed hunt. 25 acres out of 90 would be so effective.  Its not about food plots in ny its about cover. Especially undisturbed cover.

How does one create nasty cover?

One way is to not mow, Brush hog fields . This piece was all field when I started hunting it , now as you can see it’s part open field and an outer lane way all the way around where it’s mowed . But the other part is now a true two hands to get through it and you’ll  still lose your hat ! 

The not shown Double Buck “ field “ was once a field and now it’s the thicket piece on the property.

Some guys plant fast growing tall vegetation, others hinge cut and other things I know little about .

D42A390F-869A-41D0-877C-5BC55AE7897D.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cory said:

How many of you guys lease property while owning property? I own 94 acres that borders state land. After opening day of gun you are very hard pressed to see a deer. I’ve been thinking of looking into seeing if any lease property is available close to me. I know and talk to a couple guys who lease a 1000 acre parcel near me and these guys just see heard after heard. I think it’s time to make a move. Any sites you guys go on to search properties? I know it’s to late this year but I want to be ready if I make the move next year!

I think owning land and leasing other spots defeats the purpose of owning land. 
1) sell the land and find something not attached to state land.

2) Take g-mans suggestions and make improvements to where they want to be on your lane when the pressure starts!

• Like 1

Like grand pappy always said. Land, they aint makin anymore of it! Id keep and improve. If there is pressure from  the state land the deer should be pushed to your side and stay if hunt it right and on a limited basis ( best days only). As G man said access is crucial. Prices of land has skyrocketed around me, that could cost 3-4 hundred thousand around me to replace it it’s decent property. Could be more if its tillable. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

So here I am in a bit of a different position. After owning our property (175 acres) since 1990, raised our kids in the house we built here (and 3 1/2 stall garage), and letting the fields return to brush filled with deer along with the woods, we are debating selling as one parcel or breaking into several smaller hunting parcels, and the house/garage separate. Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

So here I am in a bit of a different position. After owning our property (175 acres) since 1990, raised our kids in the house we built here (and 3 1/2 stall garage), and letting the fields return to brush filled with deer along with the woods, we are debating selling as one parcel or breaking into several smaller hunting parcels, and the house/garage separate. Thoughts?

Please don’t separate. So hard to find decent tracts of land in NY anymore. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, luberhill said:

Sell me your land and then go in on a lease.

why do u think u stop seeing deer ?

The pressure of state land hunters. It’s amazing when you just drive 1/4 mile up the road the amount of deer you see opposed to what we see. Don’t get me wrong bow up until the second day of gun season you see lots of deer . 

I have been thinking of doing plots and turning some of my field over to apple trees but at the same time do I really want to put time and effort into making state land guys fruits of my labor. I’m in no way bashing guys that hunt public land . I’m just lucky enough to have my own! I already spend time every season kicking them off my land!

4 minutes ago, Cory said:

I have been thinking of doing plots and turning some of my field over to apple trees but at the same time do I really want to put time and effort into making state land guys fruits of my labor. I’m in no way bashing guys that hunt public land . I’m just lucky enough to have my own! I already spend time every season kicking them off my land!

Can’t control what you can’t control. I do food plots, trees, other improvements the whole 9yds. One of our neighbors are a bunch of city clickers who may benefit, is what it is. Maybe focus on giving these deer a super think and nasty area they can call home (there core area) leave it be and hunt the near the edges.

28 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Please don’t separate. So hard to find decent tracts of land in NY anymore. 

It may be the only way to realize the best return on my 30 year plus investment. If Wayne county 93 acres of property would cost 300-400k  to replace,  purchasing my property in its entirety may be pretty limited group of buyers . I would  love to see it go all together but also need to be practical. 

23 hours ago, Cory said:

Deer sightings are Definitely Few and far between currently , but , it’s bound to get better now . I think hunting pressure is greatest opening weekend and then steady till weekend after thanksgiving ; after that, gets better and you should see some deer again .