How Long Can I Wait to Process?

Will_C

I shot a DMAP PA doe yesterday at 8:30am. Had it quartered by 1:00pm, on bagged ice in a cooler by 2:00pm. I could butcher tonight, but then I won't be able to until Thursday. Making sure the cooler is drained daily and putting more ice on the meat (if needed), would I be ok to wait until Thursday? I usually ice it down and butcher the next day, but tonight isn't real convenient-I could do it but it would be easier to wait until Thursday.

Thanks.

Edited by Will_C
grammar

6 minutes ago, Will_C said:

I shot a DMAP PA doe yesterday at 8:30am. Had it quartered by 1:00pm, on bagged ice in a cooler by 2:00pm. I could butcher tonight, but then I won't be able to until Thursday. Making sure the cooler is drained daily and putting more ice on the meat (if needed), would I be ok to wait until Thursday? I usually ice it down and butcher the next day, but tonight isn't real convenient-I could do it but it would be easier to wait until Thursday.

Thanks.

I killed a buck Saturday and Im letting it hang at least until Friday. Cant ask for better conditions

• Like 1

I keep the deer dry and between 34-44 degrees. If you can do that you can let it sit till Thursday no problem. I have not done in an ice cooler but I would think it is most important to keep deer and melted ice separate. Moisture on the meat is bad.

• Like 2

Thanks. The quarters are on top of the bagged ice-not saying there isn't some moisture from meat touching the bags, but the meat isn't soaking in a bathtub, so to speak. I'll rotate the meat tonight.  It's a 120 quart cooler, so there's room to put the bags in and lay the meat on top. I'll check the temperature, but it has to be lower than 44 degrees in the cooler-still had 1/2 full bags of ice left from last Saturday when I put my NY buck on ice. 

Thanks again.

if you have it on ice and keep replacing it you good for a week its called wet aging i got a cajun friend in Louisiana he says thats all they do cause the seasons very warm there. they never hang a deer even for an hour cut it right away and put it on ice drain[very important] and keep adding ice to keep it cold/cool. you have to tilt the cooler to help it drain you dont want it sitting in water