DEC Unveils New Deer Management Plan

Five Seasons

15 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Agree . I bought a ML to use in shotgun season as it was a superior weapon , I chuckled that it got a separate late season like it was somehow an inferior weapon . Today guys are shooting deer at 300 yards with them , yet there  they are along with bow in a special season . Might as well allow single shot rifles as well .

Can u use a ML in shotgun counties that don’t allow rifle hunting, during the regular season 

4 hours ago, Larry said:

Here are a few things I have notice about crossbow hunters. I know 12 guys that hunt with a crossbow and all but 1 also hunt with a bow. The 1 guy that doesn’t is right-handed but is left eye dominate he tried using a bow but couldn’t get it. That doesn’t mean gun guys haven’t gone to a crossbow.

A crossbow is easier to get good at shooting. But that’s not a bad thing. I would rather see a guy using a crossbow that shoots well. then a guy who brings his bow out 2 weeks before the season, and can’t shoot for crap and calls himself a bow hunter.

I wonder how many guys would be in favor of having to qualify with there bow or crossbow every year to get your bow tags. Then see how many bow guys would switch to a crossbow because it’s easier to shoot.

I can’t speak for everyone,  but I would not. I’ve handled cross bows and to me they are very awkward not a fan. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Belo said:

Got a text from a buddy that the holiday hunt was approved? Haven’t verified myself yet but he sent a pic of the webpage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes,Gman started a thread about it .

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2021 at 4:40 PM, Larry said:

Here are a few things I have notice about crossbow hunters. I know 12 guys that hunt with a crossbow and all but 1 also hunt with a bow. The 1 guy that doesn’t is right-handed but is left eye dominate he tried using a bow but couldn’t get it. That doesn’t mean gun guys haven’t gone to a crossbow.

A crossbow is easier to get good at shooting. But that’s not a bad thing. I would rather see a guy using a crossbow that shoots well. then a guy who brings his bow out 2 weeks before the season, and can’t shoot for crap and calls himself a bow hunter.

I wonder how many guys would be in favor of having to qualify with there bow or crossbow every year to get your bow tags. Then see how many bow guys would switch to a crossbow because it’s easier to shoot.

Very flawed thinking. You’re assuming a choice. I’d personally welcome the proficiency test in theory but than maybe we could test all kinds of things to see it someone is good enough. For instance how many shoot beyond effective range no matter what that is? Say a guy is good 15 yards with a recurve, 25 yards with a compound, 40 yards with a crossgun, 200 yards with a rifle. What actually prevents him from shooting beyond those? Some ridiculous test you’re talking about? Very poorly thought out argument. Now if there was a test and guys couldn’t pass it, maybe they can’t hunt that year. The option of using a gun or crossgun shouldn’t be part of the equation or discussion because it has involves ulterior motives. Stop with the weak, twisted, spin

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

anyone hear any whispers on the whitetail plan ?  Did it die from CWD - Chronic Wastingtime Democrats???  Havent heard anything if it was even brought to a vote. 

The final proposal got signed on Monday, but not approved yet. Here's some text of the highlights. DEC link at the bottom.

In the proposal the DEC stated it is proposing to:

• Strategically increase antlerless harvest where necessary by establishing a 9-day season for antlerless deer beginning the 2nd Saturday in September with firearms in Wildlife Management Units (WMUs) 3M, 3R, 8A, 8F, 8G, 8J, 8N, 9A, and 9F, and with bows in WMUS 1C, 3S, 4J, and 8C;
  • Reinstate either-sex deer harvest opportunity during the early muzzleloader season in WMUs 6A, 6F, and 6J;
  • Extend the legal hunting hours for deer and bear to begin 30 minutes before meteorological sunrise and end 30 minutes after meteorological sunset, consistent with legal hunting hours in most other states; and 
  • Increase hunter safety by requiring all hunters pursuing deer or bear with a firearm, or anyone accompanying them, to wear a solid or patterned fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink hat or vest or jacket.

This proposal will be available for public comment through August 8, 2021.

DEC released its draft deer management plan for public review in the late fall of 2020. The final plan released today includes revisions and clarifications based on the DEC’s review of more than 2,000 comments submitted by individuals, organizations, and elected officials.

The full Deer Management Plan can be read on the DEC website.

New York's Deer Management Program - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Hard to believe 8H wasn't included in the special season...

Also hard to believe that the push for orange mandate is worth spending time on - I know there is passion around both sides but safety wise it doesn't seem to be a difference maker? I guess I just feel like there were/are bigger fish to fry.

• Like 1

That’s all set after the comment period it will be law. It does not need legislature approval. So, if the DEC keeps it in it could happen this year.

I don’t know if I’m for the September hunt or not I live 8G. it’s more lack of access then not wanting to kill deer. The access problem needs to be fix. I don’t think more opportunity is the answer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 9:08 AM, Larry said:

That’s all set after the comment period it will be law. It does not need legislature approval. So, if the DEC keeps it in it could happen this year.

I don’t know if I’m for the September hunt or not I live 8G. it’s more lack of access then not wanting to kill deer. The access problem needs to be fix. I don’t think more opportunity is the answer.

sounds like the situation with all areas i know of where they want more deer taken. you can only hammer the deer so much in accessible locations before they figure out what's going on and hunker down in those unaccessable spots, at which case the hunting then sucks. i think it's a problem that could be lessened but never be fixed.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Larry said:

Tried to look up CROSSGUN and couldn’t find the term or object in Websters or Wikipedia. So maybe those who use the word  should show a picture of what it is.

If you look up "cupcake", you may run into this definition: "a compound-only bowhunter who is against any deer hunting during archery season with a crossbow".

• Like 8
  • Haha 1