DEC Unveils New Deer Management Plan

Five Seasons

Surprised I didn't see this posted and sorry if it was. Comments accepted until 12/28

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7211.html

looks like they're trying to gain full authority to do some stuff they legally can't currently:

1. With respect to deer hunting, statutes should be modified to grant DEC full regulatory authority to:

• set deer hunting seasons and regulate methods of take and bag limits in all parts of the state, not just a subset of the state. This would include: o allowing use of firearms to take deer during the regular season and eliminating acreage minimums and special season constraints in Suffolk and Westchester Counties (ECL § 11- 0907),

o full authority to regulate crossbow use (ECL § 11-0505),

o allowing deer hunting in currently closed areas (e.g., Nassau County and parts of Albany, Erie and Monroe Counties; ECL § 11-0907),

o allowing use of firearms to take deer in areas that are currently restricted to bow only;

• allow hunters in urban deer control areas to use some techniques that are prohibited under general hunting laws (e.g., bait, lights; ECL § 11-0901); and

• set conditions under which hunters can receive some form of compensation for killing deer and can sell venison (ECL § 11-0917).

2. Set uniform minimum hunting age of 12 years.

3. Crossbow Hunting

4. Remove constraints for deer hunters on Long Island.

5. Prohibit wanton waste of harvested game.

6. Remove the prohibition on big game hunting in certain parts of Albany, Erie, Herkimer, and Hamilton Counties: ECL § 11-0907.

7. Allow DEC to regulate buck harvest standards: rescind ECL § 11-0914.

8. Allow Deer Management Permits throughout the Northern Zone.

9. Create tax incentives for landowners to allow public hunting.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 8

forgot about this good piece of news

Additionally, this plan proposes to expand legal deer hunting hours to cover a longer period of daylight, including the dawn and dusk periods when deer are most active. Currently, New York has the most restrictive deer hunting hours in the United States. Whereas deer hunting is lawful in New York only between sunrise and sunset, all other states allow deer hunting ½ hour before sunrise or earlier, or simply specify daylight hours, and 46 of 50 states allow deer hunting until some period (mostly ½ hour) after sunset. Ambient light conditions typically extend 30 minutes or more beyond the technical sunrise and sunset, and other states report similarly positive safety experiences of hunters and non-hunters during these periods as during full daylight

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Belo said:

Additionally, this plan proposes to expand legal deer hunting hours to cover a longer period of daylight, including the dawn and dusk periods when deer are most active. Currently, New York has the most restrictive deer hunting hours in the United States. Whereas deer hunting is lawful in New York only between sunrise and sunset, all other states allow deer hunting ½ hour before sunrise or earlier, or simply specify daylight hours, and 46 of 50 states allow deer hunting until some period (mostly ½ hour) after sunset. Ambient light conditions typically extend 30 minutes or more beyond the technical sunrise and sunset, and other states report similarly positive safety experiences of hunters and non-hunters during these periods as during full daylight

About time!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

and nuts to this one

Strategy 2.2.3: Establish a firearms season for antlerless deer in mid-September in WMUs where existing harvests are inadequate to achieve population management objectives.

September? I know PA does a youth/senior antlerless rifle and muzzleloader season in  late October, but September seems early unless they are trying to stay out of the bowhunter's hair. Which might keep the peace?

not sure how i like this one.....

set conditions under which hunters can receive some form of compensation for killing deer and can sell venison (ECL § 11-0917).

Don't tease me that the dawn and dusk would actually be changed to make sense!

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Belo said:

and nuts to this one

Strategy 2.2.3: Establish a firearms season for antlerless deer in mid-September in WMUs where existing harvests are inadequate to achieve population management objectives.

I understand this in Niagara and Erie counties for sure.  Be nice to take bunch of deer in sept there when they are in moms back yard eating apples

Glad to see the DEC trying to get control over what they are supposed to manage, but this is only a draft and will probably never make it to actual law. That said, I'm definitely in favor of opening up the possibility of bow hunting in Amherst(9C). And the proposal of tax breaks for owners of private property that open up their property to hunting. Plus extending shooting hours to 1/2 hour before sunrise and sunset, although I fear that will only encourage those hunters that already shoot too early to shoot even earlier? 

time to pop some popcorn!....

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

They have maybe one officer per county and they have the ability to know what changes each area needs ? Give me a break.

That’s a better position to know what needs to be done than the state legislature. Half of those dopes don’t know a single thing about deer other than watching Bambi. 

Also, DEC has biologists working for/with them. It’s not about how many enforcement officers they have. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I dont know if I like this, its pretty sweet being the only one hunting at those times...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

i like most of it.  Agree with Fletch in that i dont care for the selling of wild animals.  Farmed yes but seems like a possible slippery slope here. My spidey sense went off on this one. And I dont want a Sept anterless season.  How many guys are passing up that big buck.  Oct 1 is early enough.  Otherwise looks pretty good!  

• Like 3

We Been preparing public comments since it came came out.

-For the change of legal hunt hunting time to dawn to dusk

-for the additional season dates

- For uniform age of 12

-against any and all futher inclusion of crossbow and firearms during the archery season.

-totaly against the sale of wildlife harvested. Market hunting was disaster and goes against the NA model of wildlife conservation.

-tatally against the rescinding of ECL § 11-0914.

If they made antlerless hunting hell just open up all hunting for Westchester in September I'd be out there day 1. Gives me a whole extra month to hide from my wife trying to give me tons of chores!

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 2