DEC Unveils New Deer Management Plan

Five Seasons

Everyone always says just issue more tags ,i see this all the time,by adding an antlerless season in certain areas they are hinestly.trying to lower populations there (opening vlosed areas around buffalo for example) if populations keep rising in high.permit areas i could see an earn a buck policy go into effect , maybe 2 doe to get a buck tag in those areas.. they are trying to manage the herd but extra doe tags are not cutting it.. imagine a 2 doe earn a buck tag draw for archery at tiff farm or knox estate.  Guys would line up by the 1000s

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 2012_taco said:

Plus extending shooting hours to 1/2 hour before sunrise and sunset, although I fear that will only encourage those hunters that already shoot too early to shoot even earlier? 

time to pop some popcorn!....

I don't think so. Anybody shooting 20 minutes before sunrise isn't stopping at 35 if they're doing it to be a bad ass. But those of us who can clearly identify a target at 20 minutes before aren't just going to start flinging arrows in dark. It's an ethics and safety thing.  

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I don't think Crossbows are cheating in any way.

If full inclusion with early Archery- more Hunters like me who have little or no interest in Deer Hunting would be out there . I know my interest would skyrocket with Crossbows included with Archery.

yet you don't hunt with the crossbow now when it's legal? This comment doesn't make sense.

• Like 3

Put the muzzle loader season on front end in say October,to run up to opening day rifle.If your going to bait for whitetail begin and end before the new muzzle loader date.No hunting over bait,say a minimum distance from it.Keep the antler restrictions in place but man move it around the state,out of Catskill region PLEASE. Rotate it throughout the state,or at the very least some other regions.Like the idea of Westchester county opening up,but you will have problems their,just like jersey has with bear hunts.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, looper said:

Put the muzzle loader season on front end in say October,to run up to opening day rifle.If your going to bait for whitetail begin and end before the new muzzle loader date.No hunting over bait,say a minimum distance from it.Keep the antler restrictions in place but man move it around the state,out of Catskill region PLEASE. Rotate it throughout the state,or at the very least some other regions.Like the idea of Westchester county opening up,but you will have problems their,just like jersey has with bear hunts.

Why move ar to other areas of state when they are not needed.. check out nyantler.com and look at the mature bucks being shot around the state with no ars.  When deer get older they get smarter, i can have 5 mature buck on camera and we are lucky to kill 1 a year.  More will just die of old age as most hunters are not skilled nor have enough time to consisitantly harvest them.  As the saying goes 10 % of hunters kill 90% of the game. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Man you REALLY DO have a major boner for Bill

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

It's an accurate comment, isn't it?

Edit to add: it's certainly not a malicious comment either.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, G-Man said:

I understand this in Niagara and Erie counties for sure.  Be nice to take bunch of deer in sept there when they are in moms back yard eating apples

All those tasty fawns will just stand there after mom gets corked, completely clueless.  May as well take them too as that's the plan, right? Hopefully none of those little buggers are males of the species though!

You know what I'm thinking, I'll open a cold storage facility to house the prime carcasses till either you (the tag holder) come for them or I butcher them.   Those warm temps can reek havoc on the meat.

15 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

I don’t hate that plan.  I wonder what the wanton waste part would be.  No gut piles on public land? Private land?

Penalties for leaving usable meat. Many states have this already.  A lot of times for bigger game like elk and moose where you don't pack out the whole animal and you can't pack out the horns until all the meat is taken. But if someone is shooting a buck just for it's horns they couldnt leave the carcass without penalty with this new law.

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

I don't think Crossbows are cheating in any way.

If full inclusion with early Archery- more Hunters like me who have little or no interest in Deer Hunting would be out there . I know my interest would skyrocket with Crossbows included with Archery.

You're absolutely correct ,they are not cheating ,they just belong in gun season only. Let's just get this thread where its headed .

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Was just thinking .  I have a bow spot that is very small and I never get to use it . It seems that every Oct cows get moved to the field temp and the area I hunt is out of play. (Leased by a farmer) . It's only 12 acres and really only about a 100 ft square area is huntable due to cow fields.  Hard to explain it's a wierd spot.  But the very first time I hunted it shot a doe. If Sept hunting comes in play this might be a early freezer filler for me. And it's in a zone that can't give away enough doe permits.  Hmmmm this could work out 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

All those tasty fawns will just stand there after mom gets corked, completely clueless.  May as well take them too as that's the plan, right? Hopefully none of those little buggers are males of the species though!

You know what I'm thinking, I'll open a cold storage facility to house the prime carcasses till either you (the tag holder) come for them or I butcher them.   Those warm temps can reek havoc on the meat.

Let them follow the carcass closer to the car so the drag isnt as far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

They have maybe one officer per county and they have the ability to know what changes each area needs ? Give me a break.

If it was anything like the Trout Management Plan, they had a long window for comment and suggestions and I'm sure all kinds of organizations got their opinion in. There's probably still have an opportunity to comment.

We were delighted to see that they listened to the local anglers and orgs, and are ceasing all stocking on the Esopus and designating it a "Wild" river.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I have a freidn that shoots nearly all sept in west seneca on his nursery and they keep giving him more tags as he is very close to stiglemeyer park a d deer travel to his nursey to feed along the creek. Hes basically pop control for the park but if urban areas are opened for hunting he would have a lot less to shoot.  

10 minutes ago, left field said:

If it was anything like the Trout Management Plan, they had a long window for comment and suggestions and I'm sure all kinds of organizations got their opinion in. There's probably still have an opportunity to comment.

We were delighted to see that they listened to the local anglers and orgs, and are ceasing all stocking on the Esopus and designating it a "Wild" river.

Dec 28 comment period ends

14 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

You're absolutely correct ,they are not cheating ,they just belong in gun season only. Let's just get this thread where its headed .

Have you shot or hunted with a xbow?  if not your point is moot..   saw more guys blown up this year by being kept cocked . It needs to be archery course required ,  and if you read this proposal you see a ton of dtes archery allowed compounds, lighted pins, release, extra tag, traditional archers got screwed imo

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Have you shot or hunted with a xbow?  if not your point is moot..   saw more guys blown up this year by being kept cocked . It needs to be archery course required ,  and if you read this proposal you see a ton of dtes archery allowed compounds, lighted pins, release, extra tag, traditional archers got screwed imo

We won't eve use the C word in our house

9 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

We won't eve use the C word in our house

Thats sad. Cause theve been around for centuries.. to bad. If they made spears legal id try it. I just saw a bow with 90% let off.. crazy.. kudos to the traditional archers.  

• Like 5

I'm fine with most of the rules.  I dont know about selling the meat stuff.  add crossbow but make it mandatory to take the bow course , one thing I would want is NY to go to a 1 buck state.  Take whatever buck you want but you get 1 and your guaranteed 1 doe tag.  If it's in a really high deer density area allow a second buck to be taken after 2 does are taken.  There not going to make everyone happy one way or another.

22 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Thats sad. Cause theve been around for centuries.. to bad. If they made spears legal id try it. I just saw a bow with 90% let off.. crazy.. kudos to the traditional archers.  

You can't fool me ,everyone who has hunted with both will admit they take no practice and are exponentially easier to use ,they belong in gun season with the other guns.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Belo said:

and nuts to this one

Strategy 2.2.3: Establish a firearms season for antlerless deer in mid-September in WMUs where existing harvests are inadequate to achieve population management objectives.

If I understand this correctly, I think a good compromise would be to allow crossbow instead of gun.