DEC Unveils New Deer Management Plan

Five Seasons

9 hours ago, G-Man said:

.. day releases were legal i think everyone bought one,cause it was just like pulling a trigger on a gun!!!

Hmmm......I didn't know releases were ever not legal.  I didn't start with one till 1999 roughly.   Only 24 years shooting fingers I guess for me?

When did releases become legal?

10 hours ago, G-Man said:

Yep and drawing and holding a bow with 90 % is cheating too. Unless someone is using a longbow or recurve they have no right to complain

I disagree with the length being a problem. Majority of gun hunters are out of the woods after the first weekend and maybe thanksgiving weekend. Most of the deer shot during firarms season comes from opening weekend 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

I find that hard to believe.....

Yep , and shotguns had to be smooth barrel until 1988. Then rifle barrel were made legal. 

Compound bows were illegal at a poijt as well but before i started hunting they were ma.de legal. Perhaps in the early 80s.  Lighted pins were illeagal til the 90s. .lot of changes people forget about..

1st release i bought was a true ball. Before that had to use tabs or glove . 

9 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I disagree with the length being a problem. Majority of gun hunters are out of the woods after the first weekend and maybe thanksgiving weekend. Most of the deer shot during firearms season comes from opening weekend 

Yup .... I believe the highest Kill Day is opening day of Gun .... SZ ! ( I've been wrong once before but I was Mistaken ! LOL )

• Like 2

Yup .... I believe the highest Kill Day is opening day of Gun .... SZ ! ( I've been wrong once before but I was Mistaken ! LOL )

Around here I see trucks at all the usual spots almost every day of the season, and I'm including the late season. I see drives going on that final Tuesday of ML. Same goes for the areas I hunt in Chautauqua county. I'm not saying the most bucks aren't taken opening weekend but the pressure is still relentless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Around here I see trucks at all the usual spots almost every day of the season, and I'm including the late season. I see drives going on that final Tuesday of ML. Same goes for the areas I hunt in Chautauqua county. I'm not saying the most bucks aren't taken opening weekend but the pressure is still relentless

Interesting , I think I could count on one hand the number of trucks I’ve seen parked along the road this gun season and I’ve been out most days ,sadly .

I saw my first hunter, yesterday, a guy in camo no less walking the property line . 

23 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’ll never understand why anyone cares what other people hunt with it. As long as it’s legal, I don’t care what people use. I’ve never sat in the woods with a bow, xbow, shotgun or rifle and wondered what other people are using.

If you want to only bowhunt, you certainly can through the entire season and gun seasons. Nobody makes you switch from bow to gun.

the "as long as it's legal" comment is the argument we're having. How would you feel if they opened up rifle for the week of 10/10-10/17? Hey it's legal so who cares if the extra foot traffic and noise all but eliminates the nice calm peaceful bow hunt and pattern ability.

the reason some people care is because they like the sanctity, reward and challenge that comes with being an archer. Trample too much on the season by introducing muzzle loaders, youth weekends, crossbows etc and it's not special anymore. It's like moving Christmas to July. It's still Christmas... and yet somehow it isn't the Christmas we know and love. 

• Like 2

the "as long as it's legal" comment is the argument we're having. How would you feel if they opened up rifle for the week of 10/10-10/17? Hey it's legal so who cares if the extra foot traffic and noise all but eliminates the nice calm peaceful bow hunt and pattern ability. the reason some people care is because they like the sanctity, reward and challenge that comes with being an archer. Trample too much on the season by introducing muzzle loaders, youth weekends, crossbows etc and it's not special anymore. It's like moving Christmas to July. It's still Christmas... and yet somehow it isn't the Christmas we know and love. 

Come hunt 3S then, it’s bow only. I’d like to see a 9/15 opener like CT/NJ. I’d rather that and season ends 11/30 instead of 12/31.

And don’t you only hunt private? Lol. So make your private land bow only. Simply and done.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Belo said:

the "as long as it's legal" comment is the argument we're having. How would you feel if they opened up rifle for the week of 10/10-10/17? Hey it's legal so who cares if the extra foot traffic and noise all but eliminates the nice calm peaceful bow hunt and pattern ability.

the reason some people care is because they like the sanctity, reward and challenge that comes with being an archer. Trample too much on the season by introducing muzzle loaders, youth weekends, crossbows etc and it's not special anymore. It's like moving Christmas to July. It's still Christmas... and yet somehow it isn't the Christmas we know and love. 

I respect the fact that you admit to selfish elitism as your reason to oppose the crossbow.

I am quite entertained by the compound shooters who claim to oppose it because they want to preserve a tradition, etc.

• Like 4

On 11/30/2020 at 1:11 PM, Belo said:

forgot about this good piece of news

Additionally, this plan proposes to expand legal deer hunting hours to cover a longer period of daylight, including the dawn and dusk periods when deer are most active. Currently, New York has the most restrictive deer hunting hours in the United States. Whereas deer hunting is lawful in New York only between sunrise and sunset, all other states allow deer hunting ½ hour before sunrise or earlier, or simply specify daylight hours, and 46 of 50 states allow deer hunting until some period (mostly ½ hour) after sunset. Ambient light conditions typically extend 30 minutes or more beyond the technical sunrise and sunset, and other states report similarly positive safety experiences of hunters and non-hunters during these periods as during full daylight

ABOUT TIME!

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I feel the same way about all of the "modern muzzleloaders" in the "black Powder" season.

14 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I'd be all for a flintlock late season like Pa. Modern muzzleloaders are just single shot high powered rifles (yes I have one)

Yep i remember the clamber to allow scopes on muzzleloaders ,i used a side lock for years, when they made scopes legal i bought one

38 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Come hunt 3S then, it’s bow only. I’d like to see a 9/15 opener like CT/NJ. I’d rather that and season ends 11/30 instead of 12/31.

And don’t you only hunt private? Lol. So make your private land bow only. Simply and done.

I don't own 1000 acres, I hunt a bunch of 30 and 60 acre parcels which are very much affected by the actions of my neighbors, some of which aren't even legal today. 

You didn't answer my question either. 

37 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I respect the fact that you admit to selfish elitism as your reason to oppose the crossbow.

I am quite entertained by the compound shooters who claim to oppose it because they want to preserve a tradition, etc.

Compounds have been around since the 1960's in the hunting world. That's 60 plus years. Crossbows, while much older in heritage have only recently been part of hunting culture. Everything has an acceptable line. For me there is a much bigger leap from compound to crossbow then there is from recurve to compound. Generally speaking the mechanics are all the same.

I've never hidden behind a vail disguising how I feel or why I feel that way. If you want to categorize that as elitisim, then so be it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1