DEC Unveils New Deer Management Plan

Five Seasons

32 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

I feel the same way about all of the "modern muzzleloaders" in the "black Powder" season.

20 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I'd be all for a flintlock late season like Pa. Modern muzzleloaders are just single shot high powered rifles (yes I have one)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

same. the modern mz is basically a single shot rifle that's hard to clean.

• Like 1

I don't own 1000 acres, I hunt a bunch of 30 and 60 acre parcels which are very much affected by the actions of my neighbors, some of which aren't even legal today. 

You didn't answer my question either. 

So buy your own land if you want to make your own rules. No, a mid October gun hunt wouldn’t effect me. Don’t they already have that with youth? I’m not sure what weekend it is, but I’ve seen gun hunters while I bow hunt. Maybe Columbus? There’s also people who small game shotgun hunt during bow season. That’s legal as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Some of you are die hard turkey hunters. I'm not, I go kill turkeys because it's that time of year and it's pretty fun but I don't hunt religiously for them. I'd be all for a rimfire rifle adaptation for spring turkeys like some states. Many of you would probably have a fit though. Why? A shotgun is a gun, a rifle is a gun. You get a bit more range out of a rimfire, (same with crossbow). It also would be slightly less sporting to shoot a tom at 100 yds, no? You think more birds would be killed during the season as a result? Absolutely. You think more people would be out? Yes. Would it make the turkeys even tougher to kill? Yes. Would those diehard turkey lovers look down at birds shot with rifle? Yes. Would it bug you if I only started turkey hunting during the spring if they allowed rifles? Yes. It's the same debate we're having here. A "slight tweak" to a regulation change and people who cherish turkey hunting would have a fit. I cherish archery hunting, so to me it's the same small tweak that I don't like. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I don't mind being called a selfish elitist because I know where I stand. And I'll continue to defend my passions against foreign intruders as I see fit. The insults don't bother me. To me "selfish" is also demanding a change in the current season to force your way into it to appease you. Selfish works both ways, but apparently some people need better prescriptions because they can't see their actions are just as selfish as mine.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If I could make the rules, for early archery deer hunting in NY southern zone, I would make traditional bow season (recurve and longbow), October 1-14.  I would lump compounds in with crossbows, and allow their use from October 15 to opening day of gun. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ok-- you got me back in.
   Rifles for Spring Turkey.. 
    Hunters would be killed by other Turkey Hunters . 
  Hope, I never see the day. 
    Not responding to your quotes on this. Better things to do.
It's legal in other states and people aren't dying. See, threats to your poultry friends season and you get your feathers ruffled. Remember that next time this topic comes up.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

i'm shamed to admit when the bitching back and forth started I scrolled through much faster. lol face value it looks to be mostly good stuff. I'm also ashamed i haven't read through it all yet but should've by now. I assume I will and make sure others in my deer inner circles do too.  comments will be written up and sent in prior to the deadline. I will say selling of wild venison seems very taboo. lowest population of whitetail's history was due to market and trade hunting. must be a context thing.

• Like 3

On 12/2/2020 at 9:39 PM, Lawdwaz said:

Canadice Hemlock State Forest 6849 acres

High Tor WMA 6800 acres

Honeoye Creek WMA 717 acres

Honeoye Inlet WMA 1977 acres

Conesus Inlet WMA 1120 acres

Harriet Hollister Spencer 1550 acres

Letchworth State Park Shiit Ton of acres

19,000 +/- acres should be pretty good plus much much more for the Rochester area hunter, all within an hours drive.  :)

Let’s not forget the Webster and Irondequoit town bow hunts . I took the first deer in the first Webster hunt btw , and was asked this year if I wanted in the Irondequoit hunt .

Webster you have to be a town resident, but it does not appear so for Irondequoit, although they want guys who can hunt a lot and during the week days .

On 12/5/2020 at 10:14 AM, Nomad said:

Let’s not forget the Webster and Irondequoit town bow hunts . I took the first deer in the first Webster hunt btw , and was asked this year if I wanted in the Irondequoit hunt .

Webster you have to be a town resident, but it does not appear so for Irondequoit, although they want guys who can hunt a lot and during the week days .

The irondequoit rules are very tough, and in some cases have to even call up the guy in charge before one goes to track the deer.

On 12/5/2020 at 10:14 AM, Nomad said:

you're leaving out the fact that you don't do it anymore and we both know why.

5 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Interesting article,  notice no gun during prime rut in nov. And the oh so short split  gun season..

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/content/blogs/dan-schmidt-deer-blog-whitetail-wisdom/why-your-deer-hunting-state-will-never-be-like-iowa

and non-residents typically need 3-4 years of preference points to draw a tag, which is common in many of the best buck states. NY should do that. Force the PA, CT, NJ, MA, VT, etc. to buy points in hopes of hunting every 3-4 years.

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

and non-residents typically need 3-4 years of preference points to draw a tag, which is common in many of the best buck states. NY should do that. Force the PA, CT, NJ, MA, VT, etc. to buy points in hopes of hunting every 3-4 years.

Yes as much as i hear the complaints about ny buck quality and take ,i doubt that hunters would ever go for changes like these.. 

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

Yes as much as i hear the complaints about ny buck quality and take ,i doubt that hunters would ever go for changes like these.. 

I hear ya, but it would obviously make a huge difference in the quality of animals. Some parts of the state that are lesser trophy quality you could draw a tag each year, but the trophy units in Central / Western NY would require say 3-4 years of points.

• Like 1

They had a DEC rep on the Bob lonsberry show on Syracuse talk radio today.  He went thru this new proposal some.  He was saying they want to implement a system where when you fill a doe tag in areas that have leftover tags you automatically get another one.  Thought that was a good idea as well.  He also said the sept hunt would def only be high deer population areas.  

I mostly like the plan except for selling wild game and would like to see some sort of forest management plan change for the Adirondacks to bring back a better game population.  Huge possible resource that could have the potential for so much more. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

The inclusion of crossbows in PA archery has allowed more people to stay in the archery deer hunting game.   We heard very much the same debating points as NY hunters are hashing out in the moment.  The PA archery buck harvest has increased, but not because crossbows changed the success ratio. There are just more archery hunters.   Inclusion has not caused a season reduction.  Instead they increased the deer season length  by one week. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrumPetree said:

The inclusion of crossbows in PA archery has allowed more people to stay in the archery deer hunting game.   We heard very much the same debating points as NY hunters are hashing out in the moment.  The PA archery buck harvest has increased, but not because crossbows changed the success ratio. There are just more archery hunters.   Inclusion has not caused a season reduction.  Instead they increased the deer season length  by one week. 

Yup. it has worked fine for 10+ years in PA. NJ, CT, OH, etc. as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2020 at 1:20 PM, DanD said:

September? I know PA does a youth/senior antlerless rifle and muzzleloader season in  late October, but September seems early unless they are trying to stay out of the bowhunter's hair. Which might keep the peace?

Pa has a week long antlerless muzzleloader season in October.  3 days at the end of that season, they allow Sr and Jr hunters to use  centerfire if they so wish.  That week is highly unpopular with archery hunters.  

On 11/30/2020 at 1:51 PM, G-Man said:

Im most excited that the dec want to take control of crossbow and put it in and classify it as archery equipment , ending the polittical lobbing of nybh.

The better way to look at this is,  a crossbow becoming a legal device in an state archery deer season.    Most game biologists look at the harvest data,  and concern themselves only  with that data against their desired goal for the time of year the season  encompasses.   They don't care what legal  device  killed the  deer