Looking for recommendations on Yote setup

Doesn't look like a good deal to me, but like Jerkman said prices are stupid right now. You could probably build that same gun yourself (normally) for $600. I would watch some videos, talk to friends etc. And "build" your own. If you get a complete upper you will need just some household tools, it's quite simple if you have any mechanical ability. If you need to assemble the upper you'll need a few other specialty tools but they aren't too expensive either.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.  I mean I don't mind a bit of a markup, but I don't want to drop that much money on something bottom of the line.  More of a middle of the line sort of fellow in regards to rifles.

@shoots100 recommended this

https://www.armslist.com/posts/12809746/albany-new-york-rifles-for-sale--ar15-with-ammo

but I was really hoping for a 20" barrel.

11 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Found a nice B14 timber in 243 with a walnut stock on GunBroker.  Time to see how this FFL business goes.

Just remember, being it's a centerfire cartridge, bigger than a .21 caliber, your not going to be able to use it legally for the first month and 20 days of Coyote season, as Deer bow season opens Oct 1st to Nov 20th.

You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer (including archery, muzzleloading, and regular seasons) you may not possess a rifle larger than .22 caliber rimfire afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season. Centerfire rifles smaller than .22 caliber are permitted.

Edited by Shoots100

2 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

Just remember, being it's a centerfire cartridge, bigger than a .21 caliber, your not going to be able to use it legally for the first month and 20 days of Coyote season, as Deer bow season opens Oct 1st to Nov 20th.

You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer (including archery, muzzleloading, and regular seasons) you may not possess a rifle larger than .22 caliber rimfire afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season. Centerfire rifles smaller than .22 caliber are permitted.

Thanks NYS!  Sounds like something someone who doesn't have livestock would say.  

4 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Thanks NYS!  Sounds like something someone who doesn't have livestock would say.  

That regulation does not apply in your area. There are only 7 counties in the state that do not allow deer hunting with a rifle. It could be written better but what it really says is if a centerfire/rifle is allowed for deer hunting it can be used to hunt predators at night.

If an area does not allow hunting deer with a rifle during the regular season you are restricted to .22 caliber.

Page 24 of the hunting regulations shows the counties you cannot hunt deer with a rifle and therefore cannot use a centerfire bigger than .22 at night.

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Should have everything I need to set her up arriving tomorrow!  

On the Sightmark Wraith:. Does anyone have a good site/suggestion for batteries for it?  Also is there a beefier IR light for it to extend the range past 200?  I'm in so deep now I might as well just finish it.

Get good lithium batteries but also get a cellphone travel charger battery pack. My budfy runs one for his wraith, he has a pouch on his stock and runs the cable to the scope. Works good for him, he can hunt all night that way.

As far as lights go, either a wicked lights or sniper hog lights. Both are great brands, ive owned both. I like the mount and light adjustment on the wickeds better. The SHL coyote cannon will be the brightest but also quite heavy. 

16 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Very briefly fiddled with the Wraith, think I'm doing something wrong.  Worked in the basement with the lights out, wasn't working well outside even at close ranges.  Looks good though!

IMG_20201216_201925.jpg

Make sure it's in night vision mode and or adjust the ir beam. Hope that works for you.

I bought a Wraith a couple months ago, sold it right away. Wasn't working for what I wanted to do with it.  Anyway... make sure you turn the IR off when you're done. Otherwise it'll get real hot and unhappy and you won't know it with the naked eye.

prices have been high for a while. Remember you can buy an "illegal" AR and ship to an FFL who can swap and pin the mag for under $100. Again, I'd say start cheap/small. What's so cool about the AR platform in my opinion is how easy it is to swap out and upgrade parts. And even then you might end up with more than 1. 

On 12/18/2020 at 8:24 PM, UpStateRedNeck said:

Good choice. I run nothing but Wicked Lights. I have a similar model on my night setup with an IR scope. I got the one that does 2 types of IR plus red. I keep it on red mode so I can Tell when it’s on or off and then flip it to IR once I’m ready to hunt. 

On 12/15/2020 at 6:50 AM, UpStateRedNeck said:

Should have everything I need to set her up arriving tomorrow!  

On the Sightmark Wraith:. Does anyone have a good site/suggestion for batteries for it?  Also is there a beefier IR light for it to extend the range past 200?  I'm in so deep now I might as well just finish it.

Kentli Lithium rechargeables or an Anker battery pack. Battery pack is much cheaper and a 10k anker will last several nights. Then a few hour recharge..  I run a 15kAnker and lithium rechargeables on both my wraiths. 

The wicked 403ic is on one of my wraiths as well, The other has a coyote cannon. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2020 at 2:24 PM, Steve D said:

That regulation does not apply in your area. There are only 7 counties in the state that do not allow deer hunting with a rifle. It could be written better but what it really says is if a centerfire/rifle is allowed for deer hunting it can be used to hunt predators at night.

If an area does not allow hunting deer with a rifle during the regular season you are restricted to .22 caliber.

Page 24 of the hunting regulations shows the counties you cannot hunt deer with a rifle and therefore cannot use a centerfire bigger than .22 at night.

Sorry for the confusion.

I think at the time I was hunting near one of those county's and was advised by a DEC friend on the caliber restrictions, so I built a rifle in .20 cal to avoid any potential problems in case I wandered into said county(s) and I also wanted to build a .20 cal too.

USRN, Any news on the wraith working in night mode ?

Thermal ?

I ended up buying an AGM TM384 for a friend, but because of the snow + vehicle issues, I wasn't able to deliver it last weekend, So I'm testing it while it's still in my possession.

I also bought the 160 unit (Under $500 shipped) to do a comparison and ended up sending the 160 back, as it's pretty much useless.

For just under $1,300 shipped, the TM384 is a real deal and will bring your predator hunting results to the next level.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

Sorry for the confusion.

I think at the time I was hunting near one of those county's and was advised by a DEC friend on the caliber restrictions, so I built a rifle in .20 cal to avoid any potential problems in case I wandered into said county(s) and I also wanted to build a .20 cal too.

Thermal ?

I ended up buying an AGM TM384 for a friend, but because of the snow + vehicle issues, I wasn't able to deliver it last weekend, So I'm testing it while it's still in my possession.

I also bought the 160 unit (Under $500 shipped) to do a comparison and ended up sending the 160 back, as it's pretty much useless.

For just under $1,300 shipped, the TM384 is a real deal and will bring your predator hunting results to the next level.

1300? Is that the micro 384? If so how do you like it? I have a buddy looking into scanners and the micro 384 looked just as good as my asp tm25-384 but a few hundred cheaper. It is true it is a totally differant world once you have the thermal. I can scan quicker and with 100% confidence if somethings there or not compared to red lights.

31 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

Sorry for the confusion.

Thermal ?

Yeah I got it working, 2 mistakes I was making : #1 lens cap #2 switch to night mode.  Testing it around my house isn't great, way more ambient light than out in the boonies, but I could see the max range was around 150.  So I ordered the IR booster.  Last things I need seem to be more batteries?  Oh and a torque wrench with an adjustment for setting the screws on the rail to the right torque.....  

Gun range is closed til Wednesday, at which point I'll go sight her in.

13 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

1300? Is that the micro 384? If so how do you like it? I have a buddy looking into scanners and the micro 384 looked just as good as my asp tm25-384 but a few hundred cheaper. It is true it is a totally differant world once you have the thermal. I can scan quicker and with 100% confidence if somethings there or not compared to red lights.

Yes, $1,300 shipped. AGM ASP Micro TM384.

After using this one for almost a week, I'm saving up to buy one as a backup and maybe helmet mount it.

I drove around this evening for over 45 minutes trying to get some footage of deer or other animals and found one doe at 60 yards and a pair bedded at over 300 yards.

While I could tell there was something alive at over 300 yards, you can see in the video, the image wasn't good enough to ID them 100% at that range.

This unit is perfect for detection, not Id'ing at longer ranges.

At closer ranges, it's more than adequate and the display is a lot clearer than the recorded video.

Good to read that you got the wraith working and ready for sight in.

You get the thermal and coyote will be knocking at your door to be shot !!!

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 2