Looking for recommendations on Yote setup

4 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Slighted her in a bit today.  I think the rail is a bit loose;. Pattern was real consistent, then started jumping around at 100.  On my way to pick up a torque wrench from tractor supply.  I like the wraith sight adjustment.  

Scope base or scope mount ?

If you haven't, put a little loctite on whatever "Rail" screws before tightening them.

The recoil of a .243 shouldn't be loosening anything.

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I just sent some.   Glad to see my thermal is still on.  Hit small handwarmer 2 of 3 from 160ish off tripod.   3rd was right next to it.   Good enough for quick confirmation.   Love this set up.  

Yeah the tripod is real nice for sighting in.  Now, when to go out and hunt some dogs.....

43 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Yeah the tripod is real nice for sighting in.  Now, when to go out and hunt some dogs.....

I am tempted to go tonight just for one set.  Showing off my favorite hunting rifle:

2A armament 223 Wylde blr-16 carbon with proof 16” carbon fiber bull barrel and Timney trigger set to 1.5lbs.  Topped off with pulsar Thermion.   And all featureless to drop mags.   Had it pinned originally but that sucks for loading and unloading when moving set to set.   It flat out shoots better than I can and is so light to carry    More than I should have spent but I never seem to regret it when I carry her   6E90C492-4810-4702-B0E0-DFD1184F9B28.thumb.jpeg.8df410552ced77bcc871b39a4a9a4642.jpeg

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

What do you think the useful range is for both identification and shooting?

Id, I couldn't tell you, didn't see a single critter.  Maybe 150?  Need to be picky with spots so no little twigs etc blast your eyeballs with super bright shine while scanning.  It's a learning experience!

You guys mention red lights,  I have a green one. I have only hunted for them twice with it, and nothing came in. Do you think the green is easier for them to see? I purchased a $100 gun mounted light from dicks. It does adjust intensity and focus, but only green color. I was thinking this year to move to a treestand set, and hope that would give me a better sit.

I started going out a few times a year a couple years ago and purchased the cyclops green light kit. From what I have read it's a flip of the coin......but will work. I have lit up deer with the green light while scanning and they didn't budge.

I will also be interested to hear what the more seasoned guys think about the green.
I really like the wicked lights headlamp....and will purchase one after the new year.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Id, I couldn't tell you, didn't see a single critter.  Maybe 150?  Need to be picky with spots so no little twigs etc blast your eyeballs with super bright shine while scanning.  It's a learning experience!

There's only one real way to learn the weaknesses of your gear and how your using it.

Most of the videos promoting scopes that need IR illuminators, are in open fields for a reason and now you've seen it first hand.

When hunting wooded terrain in any part of the country, you need to shorten your shooting distances, lessen your IR brightness and set up in spots with shooting lanes or small open areas, where the illumination won't reflect as much.

If your taking a shot at an animal over 100 yards, you need to change your hunting technique.

Scanning with any type of night vision/thermal mounted on a rifle sucks and is dangerous when hunting with others. 

This is why a thermal spotter was recommended. 

I hunted for years with lights and NV scopes before being introduced to thermal optics and eventually buying my first 160 res thermal scope around the mid 90's.

It's a real game changer and with the low prices of decent resolution thermal optics these days, it's worth saving up to buy one.

I've only used red light filters, but have been told that green filters are primarily used in high pressure/over hunted areas, where even the minimal glow of an IR illuminator will scare off what's being hunted.

I would only hunt with a light, in a state that prohibits night hunting with NV or Thermal.

Come over to the Dark side !

Edited by Shoots100

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2020 at 9:00 AM, UpStateRedNeck said:

We did a couple sets, no customers.  Still a bit disappointed with the range on the wraith, even with the wicked lights IR spotter.

that thing is tempting for $450... I have a brand new Vortex PST II 1-6 that was a lot more expensive then that and it's not IR.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020830235?pid=618494

1 minute ago, Belo said:

that thing is tempting for $450... I have a brand new Vortex PST II 1-6 that was a lot more expensive then that and it's not IR.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020830235?pid=618494

Careful, couple of members warned me away from the 4-32 version, said the 2x had a much better/wider field of vision.

8 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Yeah that's the one I got.  Same price on the 'Zon.  Except your wife can see that order history.  You're going to want the wicked light IR booster, definitely.

thanks, I'm still not sure if I'm going down this path, just that the price isn't too bad. Luckily for me I buy what I want :)