Looking for recommendations on Yote setup

1 minute ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Yeah thereabouts, scope / rifle / spotter if necessary.

If you can stretch the budget, I would consider a $500 AR and call around to see what kind of deal you could get on a hogster 35mm thermal (around $2500 new) or see if you can grab one used on predator master forum.   You could still use red light to scan or scan with the rifle.  A thermal allows you to see so much more.  

if you want to stay in budget, I know one member here who kills his fair share with a wraith NV scope and loves it.  Pair it up with rifle of choice and you are well under budget.   But you may have to resist the urge to go thermal at some later date. 

• Thanks 1

I'll second Moog's recommendation for a budget NV scope being the Sightmark Wraith, it'll run you about $500. My buddy has about $18,000 in 2 thermal scopes but bought a Wraith as a backup gun and he said it works really well out to 200 yds or so, a great scope on a budget. I'm looking to purchase a dedicated coyote rifle/NV scope combo. Another thing to consider is the caliber, if you stay under a .22 caliber you can use it during an open deer season. I'm going to buy another 204 Ruger for that reason.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, chrisw said:

I'll second Moog's recommendation for a budget NV scope being the Sightmark Wraith, it'll run you about $500. My buddy has about $18,000 in 2 thermal scopes but bought a Wraith as a backup gun and he said it works really well out to 200 yds or so, a great scope on a budget. I'm looking to purchase a dedicated coyote rifle/NV scope combo. Another thing to consider is the caliber, if you stay under a .22 caliber you can use it during an open deer season. I'm going to buy another 204 Ruger for that reason.

I have a 204 but if you want to be more certain of recovery I would step up to at least a 223 for a dedicated yote rig. I read a lot about runners with the 204.    I think you have the 6.8 IIRC so adding a 204 for deer season yote hunting makes sense.  But if you only had one yote gun, not sure I would want to rely on a 204. 

I have a 204 but if you want to be more certain of recovery I would step up to at least a 223 for a dedicated yote rig. I read a lot about runners with the 204.    I think you have the 6.8 IIRC so adding a 204 for deer season yote hunting makes sense.  But if you only had one yote gun, not sure I would want to rely on a 204. 
I shot a few yotes with my old 204 and the furthest one went was about 40yds. The others dropped right there. I do have the 6.8, I kind of wanted to keep that as a dedicated deer setup. It's not nearly as flat shooting as the 204 or 223 and overkill for yotes in my opinion. I'm not honestly sure what route I'm going yet, I think partially I'm justifying another gun purchase. I've got a Rem 700 VSS in 243 with a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 that would make a killer long range coyote gun too that I haven't shot in 3 years. It's the most accurate gun I've ever owned also, my only range day after setting it up was a 200yd group, 3 shots in .77" with factory ammo, resting on a rolled up sweatshirt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I shot a few yotes with my old 204 and the furthest one went was about 40yds. The others dropped right there. I do have the 6.8, I kind of wanted to keep that as a dedicated deer setup. It's not nearly as flat shooting as the 204 or 223 and overkill for yotes in my opinion. I'm not honestly sure what route I'm going yet, I think partially I'm justifying another gun purchase. I've got a Rem 700 VSS in 243 with a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 that would make a killer long range coyote gun too that I haven't shot in 3 years. It's the most accurate gun I've ever owned also, my only range day after setting it up was a 200yd group, 3 shots in .77" with factory ammo, resting on a rolled up sweatshirt.

How about a 224 Valkyrie upper for the 6.8 lower.   One more option. 

How about a 224 Valkyrie upper for the 6.8 lower.   One more option. 
I looked into that a bit too, I just get nervous about the really odd calibers and their availability going forward. It would give me an excuse to build the extra AR lower I still have though. My next AR build will definitely have a NV scope on it, that much I'm certain of at least.

• Like 1

If i were to start with a 2k budget id expect to go to 2500 lol. I personally hunt with a 204 ruger for the simple fact during deer season i hunt areas were you have to stay under .22 cal for center fire rifle until deer is over. I have had a runner this year that i shot at about 325 yards. Everything closer has died in sight. Speaking of sights, id reccomend a pulsar digex or pulsar digisight, shop around they could be had for around 1000-1200. Plus 200ish for ir light, then buy a accurate bolt gun, could be a ruger american predator, a savage, remington. All under 700 bucks. Then maybe look into a cheapish thermal for scanning, agm micro 384, or pulsar axion key models. Probably just set your budget to 3k lol, its almost tax return season!

Edited by Gencountyzeek

25 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

If i were to start with a 2k budget id expect to go to 2500 lol. I personally hunt with a 204 ruger for the simple fact during deer season i hunt areas were you have to stay under .22 cal for center fire rifle until deer is over. I have had a runner this year that i shot at about 325 yards. Everything closer has died in sight. Speaking of sights, id reccomend a pulsar digex or pulsar digisight, shop around they could be had for around 1000-1200. Plus 200ish for ir light, then buy a accurate bolt gun, could be a ruger american predator, a savage, remington. All under 700 bucks. Then maybe look into a cheapish thermal for scanning, agm micro 384, or pulsar axion key models. Probably just set your budget to 3k lol, its almost tax return season!

I don't want to drop that much dough on something I'm not sure how much I'll use.  If it becomes a thing, and I get into it, I'd happily get a bigger and better rig.  

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I have a 204 but if you want to be more certain of recovery I would step up to at least a 223 for a dedicated yote rig. I read a lot about runners with the 204

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

shot a few yotes with my old 204 and the furthest one went was about 40yds. The others dropped right there. I do have the

26 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

I personally hunt with a 204 ruger for the simple fact during deer season i hunt areas were you have to stay under .22 cal for center fire rifle until deer is over.

From the peanut gallery:  .17 WSM :wink:

17 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I don't want to drop that much dough on something I'm not sure how much I'll use.  If it becomes a thing, and I get into it, I'd happily get a bigger and better rig.  

Then id definitely get the wraith, and a coyote cannon. You will be able to see eye shine further then you will be able to shoot. Get a good battery pack to go with it as thats the biggest knock on the wraith. Then id pick up a red headlamp like a wicked lights scan pro, i found i liked scanning with a head lamp better than a hand-held light. 

i started out last year. used my deer rifle with a light and bought an e-caller from a generous forum member. I bought an AR over the summer and a nice scope with it. Still going to use a light as I'm not 100% sold on the hobby yet. 

I'd caution you to try it cheap a few times before going too deep. I'm not sure I'm sold on it, and I'm glad that I didn't sink a ton into a thermal build. I always wanted an AR anyhow, and if I do get hooked, I can go thermal later on. If I don't get hooked, I still have the AR I always wanted too.

just my .02 as someone who toyed with this idea for a long time and finally went down the road last year. You're going to spend $100 in rechargeable batteries alone :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chrisw said:

Too many horror stories on that round! Accuracy seems to be very hit and miss. Too small for yotes for my liking too...

I don't own one but would like one. All my research has shown lots of complaints with the .204 for fur damage. Everything I have found says just the opposite on the .17wsm. It has shown to be very accurate out to 200 plus yards and has plenty of knock down power for a coyote.

I have shot a few with the .22 magnum using v-max bullets and have had no problems. The draw back is I wouldn't expect it to be effective after 120 yards or so.

Like everything else everyone has their own preference. For me I have no desire for a long range gun at night and a big part of the excitement is how close I can get them. I use a rimfire at night and centerfire during the day. The .243 is very popular with some but have found the .223  is just as effective for the ranges I shoot.

Like everything else shot placement is the key and and if killing a coyote is the objective any gun will do. If one is shooting for fur they have to be more selective on bullet choices regardless of the caliber.

One can easily get into coyote hunting without investing a ton of money. No need to invest thousands of dollars on all the fancy equipment everyone is using today unless they want to.

Just like every sport you spend a lot trying to improve your game but in reality it comes down to knowing the critter you are hunting and being able to shoot accurately within your limitations.

Here is a short video of a yote shot with a .243.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, grampy said:

Coyotes can be hunted, called, and killed during daylight hours too.

And with a deer rifle you already have.

Killed them with a compound ,xbow and my deer rifle .... never actually went coyote hunting though .  Shaved the back hair off one OD this year, should have dialed my Nikon BDC up , and passed two more easy shots the first week . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Killed them with a compound ,xbow and my deer rifle .... never actually went coyote hunting though .  Shaved the back hair off one OD this year, should have dialed my Nikon BDC up , and passed two more easy shots the first week . 

I do think all the thermal and IR scopes, and dedicated predator rigs are really very cool!!!! But I can't afford a $2,500 scope just to shoot coyotes. A $3,500 plus, predator rig is certainly really snazzy, and if you are really into it, worth every penny! But if you just want to go out and bang some song dogs, it can be done on the cheap too. 

Some of us have bagged yotes as targets of opportunity. They do move during daylight. We have also called them in during the daytime too. Also, they can be baited legally as well. My point is, to just get started predator hunting, or to just go out now and then, it doesn't need to be super expensive. And if you want to go at night, a good red light set up can be used successfully with an illuminated reticle scope. Nope, nowhere near as good, or cool as IR or Thermal, but it does work! And at a fraction of the cost. And still fun!!!

53 minutes ago, Belo said:

i started out last year. used my deer rifle with a light and bought an e-caller from a generous forum member. I bought an AR over the summer and a nice scope with it. Still going to use a light as I'm not 100% sold on the hobby yet. 

I'd caution you to try it cheap a few times before going too deep. I'm not sure I'm sold on it, and I'm glad that I didn't sink a ton into a thermal build. I always wanted an AR anyhow, and if I do get hooked, I can go thermal later on. If I don't get hooked, I still have the AR I always wanted too.

just my .02 as someone who toyed with this idea for a long time and finally went down the road last year. You're going to spend $100 in rechargeable batteries alone :)

I too picked up an AR last year for similar reasons as you. Just wanted one! And I have a nice scope on it that is pretty darn accurate out to 200 yards. Also have a pretty good E-Caller, and a variety of mouth calls that I practice with and use. And have a couple different lights to use, that will shine farther than I am willing to shoot. All for a bit over $1000 total! We have a blast, day or night! Isn't that what it's all about anyways?

• Like 2

A friend had similar needs and after he hunted with me a couple of times to see what night hunting is all about, he ended up getting an AGM micro TM384 thermal spotter and a Wraith HD 2-16 scope combo, for under $1,800.

He can and does use the thermal spotter for more than coyote hunting and that was a good purchase, as you use a spotter 95% of the time and a scope 5% of the time, and thermal rules in the spotting dept.

The 2x wraith scope has a wide FOV and has a color image too, so it's totally useable for daytime hunting.

Both optics record video and still images.

He mounted it on a NYS legal .223 complete upper that he got for $500.

That would keep you under a $2.5k budget for a complete setup that you won't need to upgrade for a long time.

SJC

• Thanks 1

No doubt you can kill yotes at night with a light set, rifle, scope and calls.   And I don't ever yote hunt daytime, but they are often killed during the day so a light set might not be needed at all.   I must admit, its pretty darn exciting to pull one out at 400-500yds at night and watch them close the distance through thermal.  Almost as exciting as a big buck closing in during bow. Tough to see that with lights.   Plus its a bit more social type of hunting for me.   I agree that one should try it before dropping serious cash.  

To each his own.  I personally love the thermal and don't regret buying it at all.  And most of the hunters that have tried it with me, really enjoy it. 

• Like 2