Looking for recommendations on Yote setup

34 minutes ago, grampy said:

We have a blast, day or night! Isn't that what it's all about anyways?

full transparency, this is where I struggle. I'm not big on hunting what I don't eat. I looked into tanning my own hides and that process is way more involved then this father of 3 has time for either. That said, I understand population control. I understand they're invasive. But the hobby is missing the hook I need... of course lets see when I roll my first yote if my tune changes haha :)

You guys are aware I've killed a buttload of Yotes, right?  I mean I've been on a "one a year" schedule for about 15 years running.  Targets of oppurtunity.  This years was with the pistol, though only winged it (yeah I suck).  Killed quite a few with lights + scope at night, and plenty during the day.  

I'm not ready to go full on 3500 rig yet.  I'll talk to my gun shop and see if it's feasible to get a Bergara B-14 in .243 in the next month.  I've always wanted an AR too, so that's a possibility.  The 500$ Wraith seems like a good "toe in the water" level.  Not like I'll be sad to have another firearm even if I don't get into it more than a couple nights a year.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

You guys are aware I've killed a buttload of Yotes, right?  I mean I've been on a "one a year" schedule for about 15 years running.  Targets of oppurtunity.  This years was with the pistol, though only winged it (yeah I suck).  Killed quite a few with lights + scope at night, and plenty during the day.  

I'm not ready to go full on 3500 rig yet.  I'll talk to my gun shop and see if it's feasible to get a Bergara B-14 in .243 in the next month.  I've always wanted an AR too, so that's a possibility.  The 500$ Wraith seems like a good "toe in the water" level.  Not like I'll be sad to have another firearm even if I don't get into it more than a couple nights a year.  

i guess we were not. what have you been hunting with thus far? That might help us advise on where best to spend your $2k

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Ugh.  People are nuts.  My usual gun shop said basically "No Bergara available, and no 20 inch AR barrels available".  Might have to broaden my horizons.

I have a savage 110 predator in 243 that is a tack driver.  Has the accustock and trigger.   Worth a look.  These are higher end than the axis models and price reflects it.   24" bull barrel so its not a light gun - 8lbs-ish.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Is 300 Win Mag overkill for a coyote?  Asking for a friend........

Called about 4 stores and no Bergara in .243, and no 20 inch AR barrels.  BOO!

Buy the AGM 384 spotter and put the wraith scope on your .308 after deer season ends.

The spotter can be used for spotting deer and also security around the house.

.308 would be the biggest cartridge I would go with for a varmint rifle, as most night scopes are only rated up to .308 recoil.

I always suggest going with a .223, as ammo is going to be somewhat easier to find, recoil is easier to handle and it kills critters just fine.

I've built many custom rifles for friends using the savage axis platform, after they've shot out the barrel of the stock rifle.

SJC

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

Buy the AGM 384 spotter and put the wraith scope on your .308 after deer season ends.

The spotter can be used for spotting deer and also security around the house.

.308 would be the biggest cartridge I would go with for a varmint rifle, as most night scopes are only rated up to .308 recoil.

I always suggest going with a .223, as ammo is going to be somewhat easier to find, recoil is easier to handle and it kills critters just fine.

I've built many custom rifles for friends using the savage axis platform, after they've shot out the barrel of the stock rifle.

SJC

All good advice except"alter 1 thing on your deer rifle", no way man!  So confident in that 700 with the Leupold on it, I don't dare.  It's 7/7 on one shot 1 kill shot since I adjusted the trigger a few years back.  Maybe just get the scanner plus a red light this year.  

I Know next to nothing about AR's that's going to require some research.

4 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

All good advice except"alter 1 thing on your deer rifle", no way man!  So confident in that 700 with the Leupold on it, I don't dare.  It's 7/7 on one shot 1 kill shot since I adjusted the trigger a few years back.  Maybe just get the scanner plus a red light this year.  

We can get together for some predator hunting Paul. You are welcome to put my AR on the sticks and try it out. Would like to get some yote blood on it!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

After Deer season.

Every scope I have on my puny rifles, has Quick detach mounts and I switch between my night scopes, thermals and day scopes all the time.

A rifle is a tool made for killing, so don't deny your baby more killing time after deer season ends.

The wraith also has color for daylight use, so it's not just for night hunting.

You can save some money and build an AR to your liking, while you take out coyote with Grampy.

If youre going with an AR you can build a nice 223, 224, or 22nosler all on the ar15 platform. I see 224 valk ammo more available than any of the other 2 calibers listed. If you are going to go bolt gun. get a 22.250 if your not in the calber restricted units.. If you are get a 204.

Then get your self a sightmark wraith hd for an optic the 2x model has a wider field of view compared to the 4x.. Academy just had them for 329$ last week.

Then get your self a better bigger external IR light. Any brand will work well. Wicked, Night snipe, sniper hog lights etc..

Next youll also want to get a good bipod or tripod  setup. A good durable adjustable tripod can be used for sitting, as well standing position ..

And this will soon begin your addiction to chasing coyotes and youll want thermal and everything else upgraded that you can think of lol.. 

4 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

If youre going with an AR you can build a nice 223, 224, or 22nosler all on the ar15 platform. I see 224 valk ammo more available than any of the other 2 calibers listed. If you are going to go bolt gun. get a 22.250 if your not in the calber restricted units.. If you are get a 204.

Then get your self a sightmark wraith hd for an optic the 2x model has a wider field of view compared to the 4x.. Academy just had them for 329$ last week.

Then get your self a better bigger external IR light. Any brand will work well. Wicked, Night snipe, sniper hog lights etc..

Next youll also want to get a good bipod or tripod  setup. A good durable adjustable tripod can be used for sitting, as well standing position ..

And this will soon begin your addiction to chasing coyotes and youll want thermal and everything else upgraded that you can think of lol.. 

was waiting for you to chime in on the wraith buddy.   lol  I think the 224 valk got a bad rap early on because one of the early ammo manufacturers had issues but I find mine is pretty darn accurate.   And likely ammo is more available because finally there are more folks manufacturing it and fewer users as its not as common of a cartridge.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Belo said:

i'm not so sure on the .308 recommendation unless you're just looking to destroy everything. The recoil alone would have me wanting to go no higher than a .243 even if I wasn't interested in trying to save the pelt.

I am not scared of a little recoil.   Lol

C0DCB018-0310-4BD7-A5CD-E1F572137DD7.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I've never done this before, so forgive my ignorance :

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bergara-b-14-hunter-243-winchester-bolt-action-rifle

IF I wanted to order that, I could have them ship to my local store?  Or is that only in stock because that site doesn't ship to local gun stores?

You pay for it and have your local FFL send their FFL paperwork to them for the transfer.

Then they ship it to your FFL, you fill out the 4473, hope it passes quickly, pay a small fee and go home.

If available, Buy the model with a detachable magazine.

Once you know it's on it's way, buy a full length scope base and start buying Ammo or reloading components to feed it.

After you get it all set up, maybe we could have a get together and put some holes into some critters with Grampy's AR and bust it's coyote cherry ?

I have a spare thermal scope we could mount on it.

I won't let you look through the XP38, as you'll end up selling your 700 to put a down payment on one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would say not. Andersons are known as the poverty pony. They're some of the cheapest milspec uppers and lowers on the planet. That said they do the trick. I personally just would not pay that kind of float for that gun. But these are also stupid pricing times so prices are nowhere near where they should be

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Thanks 1