Lots of broken up bucks this year?!

turkeyfeathers

1 minute ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Was that your target buck you’ve been hunting hard ?

Luckily he's not the one that I was after all bow season but I believe this is the buck that a drew back on the last Saturday of bow but had to let up because of a few twigs in front of his vitals.

Almost all of them get busted up, by opening day of gun season, in my two spots on opposite corners of wmu 9f each year. The reason for that is that there is consistently around 4 bucks per doe by October 1 each year, due to heavy antletless harvest on nussance permits prior to that.

If you want a buck with a pretty rack with all his points intact, you got to kill it before the rut.  The 1.5 year olds really get picked on by the Bullies.  This 3-point was a 4 when I saw him on opening day of crossbow.  He got one side knocked off prior to last Friday, when he stopped by to see me. spacer.png

20201201_073918.jpg

Edited by wolc123

4 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Almost all of them get busted up, by opening day of gun season, in my two spots on opposite corners of wmu 9f each year. The reason for that is that there is consistently around 4 bucks per doe by October 1 each year, due to heavy antletless harvest on nussance permits prior to that.

If you want a buck with a pretty rack with all his points intact, you got to kill it before the rut.  The 1.5 year olds really get picked on by the Bullies.  This 3-point was a 4 when I saw him on opening day of crossbow.  He got one side knocked off prior to last Friday, when he stopped by to see me. spacer.png

20201201_073918.jpg

I really hope you don’t think this little fella went heads up with a mature buck. 

1 hour ago, Trial153 said:

Yea, broken up doesn't stop my neighbors from killing them. They can have three one inch nubs left and they will shoot em. Pretty sad.

Big bucks break little bucks horns..... My favorite kind of bucks are when you find a shed while still hunting and kill a big doe at the same time!!! Can't eat horns. 

4 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

I really hope you don’t think this little fella went heads up with a mature buck. 

More likely he snapped it off on momma when he went in for some milk.  Too bad he didn't break both sides off to less than 3", so that I could tag him with a dmp.  Antlers are overrated.

3 hours ago, johnplav said:

A couple are showing up beat up around here... but the big ones are still in good shape.   On a side note... is the first picture a different buck?  (2 and 3 are the same)

65C1A5C3-8B3C-45D9-93CB-A90A1E148DC0.png

41BFD45C-C726-4A28-AA9D-77C22F28D05D.png

6BF0C2E3-7974-44BB-8539-FC868D5FF84D.png

Looks like the same buck in all 3 to me John.  By the way, I saw the rack on your bow buck at Jasons - gorgeous!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Looks like the same buck in all 3 to me John.  By the way, I saw the rack on your bow buck at Jasons - gorgeous!

Thanks!  I assumed it was my biggest buck yet, then when the rack from my big 8 fit nicely inside it, I knew I was getting a full mount.  It was icing on the cake that I could take it to Jason.  

At the end of the season we might need to start a thread for personal best bucks... I believe there were quite a few this year.  

Edited by johnplav